ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Expansion

GoHerdMarshallYes

Gold Buffalo
Nov 7, 2018

We'll see how this turns out.
Lots of interesting takes, would give and unbeaten MU a shot, but they'd be paired with...Bama most likely.

We'll see how this turns out.
Lots of interesting takes, would give and unbeaten MU a shot, but they'd be paired with...Bama most likely.
Nope we’d likely be paired with the #5 team in the tournament (on their home field); and then play the number 4 team if we won.

Chances of playing Alabama in an opening round, as Chris suggested, would be if Alabama didn't win the SEC, but received an at-large bid, which would mean a 12-5 or 11-6 matchup.

When I first saw the headline and saw that the six conference champs would receive an auto-bid, I misread it, and assumed the American had finally entered the pool, and that their P-6 dream had finally come true, but it's the top 6 conference champs based on rankings. C-USA champ is not a guarantee to get in unless they're either the highest ranked from the G-5, or receive an at-large due to a lofty ranking in the poll.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Nothing to see here, move along. I'll get excited if/when we ever get there.
I would only argue that at least the Herd has a chance at making the field. As it currently stood, there was no chance at making it, ever.

An undefeated season would seem to suggest you could manage to finish either as the top ranked G5 conference team, or potentially finish amongst the top 12.

Point being, at least under the proposed system, the Herd, at the very least, would now have a chance, whereas previously, they were 100% locked out of reaching the playoffs.

I just looked at last year's final CFP rankings, and assuming the committee would have voted the same way, two G5 programs would have made the field last year. This all assuming the committee wouldn't have played games with a different playoff system. (Chances are strong they would have).

Here's how it would have stacked up:

#12 Coastal Carolina at #5 Notre Dame. Winner to play #4 Oklahoma

#11 Indiana at #6 Texas A&M. Winner to play #3 Ohio State

#10 Iowa State at #7 Florida. Winner to play #2 Clemson

#9 Georgia at #8 Cincinnati. Winner to play #1 Alabama

I’m surprised they have formed a committee to study college football playoffs. I would have thought their energy would have gone toward finding ways to keep Marshall’s soccer team out of future College Soccer Cups. 😁

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I just looked at last year's final CFP rankings, and assuming the committee would have voted the same way, two G5 programs would have made the field last year. This all assuming the committee wouldn't have played games with a different playoff system. (Chances are strong they would have).

Here's how it would have stacked up:

#12 Coastal Carolina at #5 Notre Dame. Winner to play #4 Oklahoma

#11 Indiana at #6 Texas A&M. Winner to play #3 Ohio State

#10 Iowa State at #7 Florida. Winner to play #2 Clemson

#9 Georgia at #8 Cincinnati. Winner to play #1 Alabama

I thought I'd never see a scenario like this, where two G5's got in and a P5, the Pac-12 had nobody.

Reactions: caliherd
I thought I'd never see a scenario like this, where two G5's got in and a P5, the Pac-12 had nobody.
If college football were fair, then that scenario should play out. Unfortunately, that's where games are potentially played by the committee behind closed doors, or, better yet, if this proposal were to continue to move forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see it tweaked to where current P5 conference champions are recipients of auto-bids, regardless of ranking.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Wouldn't happen with the new scenario. Oregon would have been in with the auto bid as they won the Pac-12.
Is that how the proposal reads? I thought it was only relating to the top ranked 6 conference champs, based on rankings of the ten total conference champs, meaning if Oregon was ranked #18, while Coastal and Cincinnati were ranked above them, then those two would have gotten auto-bids, along with conference champs from the other P5 conferences also ranked above Oregon. If how you're saying is correct, then it's really only about the highest ranked G5 conference champion receiving the 6th auto-bid.

Is that how the proposal reads? I thought it was only relating to the top ranked 6 conference champs, based on rankings of the ten total conference champs, meaning if Oregon was ranked #18, while Coastal and Cincinnati were ranked above them, then those two would have gotten auto-bids, along with conference champs from the other P5 conferences also ranked above Oregon. If how you're saying is correct, then it's really only about the highest ranked G5 conference champion receiving the 6th auto-bid.
Nope, I'm wrong. Didn't realize the new proposal was for the top six; not each P5 and one G5.

I'm actually surprised the P5s would be okay with that. Thought for sure they'd demand at least one automatic spot each. I realize it is unlikely a Pac 12 champ would ever end up ranked behind BOTH an AAC and Sun Belt champ (like last year) but obviously the possibility exists.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Nope, I'm wrong. Didn't realize the new proposal was for the top six; not each P5 and one G5.

I'm actually surprised the P5s would be okay with that. Thought for sure they'd demand at least one automatic spot each. I realize it is unlikely a Pac 12 champ would ever end up ranked behind BOTH an AAC and Sun Belt champ (like last year) but obviously the possibility exists.
I'm glad you were wrong, because this is affirming that rifle teaching me how to be better at reading comprehension is paying off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT