ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Charlotte

I agree, I can find enjoyment in a defensive game. I love watching a good offense compete against an equally good defense. This was anything but that type of game. Neither offense could get out of their own way particularly in key plays.

Marshall's offense could not have scored in a women's prison last night even if Doc would have handed out pardons.

I'm not here to make any excuses, mostly because I don't see where any are required. I will simply make my points:

1. Personally, I don't need my games to be high-scoring to be enjoyable. I have no problem watching an "inspired" defensive game. Not "watching paint dry" for me.

2. There was plenty of Marshall offense in this game--over 400 total yards, over 200 rushing. But for various reasons we didn't turn all those yards into points. I, too, was frustrated by our lack of scoring. We definitely let too many opportunities slip away. And then with a lead, we predictably get conservative later in the game. Still, it's a win. It may have been more satisfying to win by knockout, but I'll take the decision.

I can understand why some didn't enjoy the game. Fan enjoyment is often centered around scoring. Saturday was a field-position game. I enjoy that kind of battle, as well.

Well said. It happens. The offense has decent numbers, but doesn't score. We played against a team with absolutely nothing to lose and we just came off a good road win.
This was one of those games where the defense steps up for us, which they did, and our offense was just enough to hold us ahead. I hated the last 2 minutes, we looked complacent, but it was necessary to do. At this point, we didn't need to score and just disallow them to get the ball back.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for our lack of productivity, but Marshall played to their competition Saturday. I think this week, we see the team we are playing against, we're at home for Homecoming (feels like it's been forever since we had a home game), and we have a team capable of scoring often, a defense capable of shutting out a team, and a special teams unit that can give us field position.

That does bring me to my next question...we really do need to work on FG's, our kicker really didn't have it together last night, could have scored 20 pts total, 2 FG's I believe, were missed.

Sure there are some frustrating things about the game Saturday. There are some every week. Last week it was we let UC score one more TD than they should have. I am sure Oklahoma would trade what happened to them for a 14-3 loss to a team that was a 4 TD underdog.

The only statistic that truly matters is 4-1. I don't care who we beat especially considering most said we would lose to UC and Miami. after being 3-9 last year I will not make excuses for why we are 4-1.

Yeah the black in the uniforms is our most pressing issue right now. The black looks good it makes the kelly green pop. Maybe we can bring back the silver or yellow for the old timers
What kelly green? We barely have any in the uniform. The black just doesn't look good with white jerseys. We should either wear white or green pants.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT