ADVERTISEMENT

China is not our friend

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
The #FBI has determined that cell towers outfitted with equipment from the Chinese tech giant Huawei is “capable of capturing and disrupting highly restricted Defense Department communications, including those used by US Strategic Command, which oversees the country’s nuclear weapons,” according to CNN, who cited several unnamed security oficials.

This comes as an exclusive report by Reuters stated that the Commerce Department had launched an investigation into Huawei over “concerns that U.S. cell towers fitted with its gear could capture sensitive information from #military bases and missile silos that the company could then transmit to #China.”

Problem is our Corporations and politicians sold out to them. Too much business and too much dirt on them
Yes. Unwinding our ties with China is, for all intents and purposes, impossible at this point. How many things get sold in the US that don’t at least have components from there? They played a smart long game and knew damn well US companies would sell out to save a buck.

We should be trying to repatriate production, but we are going to have to do it slowly to avoid a system shock that totally destabilizes us. It would be good for jobs, maybe not so much for standard of living.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
And speaking of China in the shorter term; we starting WW3 over Taiwan?

Taiwan and China are weird anyway. I thought they were diplomatically further apart but Taiwan exports 3x as much to China as to us. And as much to Hong Kong as to us. If China really wanted to screw with Taiwan I’m not sure they’d even need to invade. Or even blockade. Just ban trade. But they seem willing to anyway, and I’m not sure sending billions in weapons to Taiwan is going to play out there like it has in Ukraine.

Taiwan and China are weird anyway. I thought they were diplomatically further apart but Taiwan exports 3x as much to China as to us. And as much to Hong Kong as to us. If China really wanted to screw with Taiwan I’m not sure they’d even need to invade. Or even blockade. Just ban trade. But they seem willing to anyway, and I’m not sure sending billions in weapons to Taiwan is going to play out there like it has in Ukraine.
Biden continually pledges us into a position that could have devastating effects globally. And the White House continually has to walk back his statements

We are, in many ways, more dependent on Taiwan than China. Those chips are in everything and if China gets control of that production…we almost have no choice but to try and stop them.

We are, in many ways, more dependent on Taiwan than China. Those chips are in everything and if China gets control of that production…we almost have no choice but to try and stop them.
Damn we should pass some sort of act so we can make more CHIPs here.

But also, we would have another choice, which is just to do nothing then buy them from China. Chock full of spyware baked right into the chip.

Better do what we need to to ramp up domestic production.

That sounds like it came straight out of the mouth of a MAGA supporter...😉😅

Trumptard...
You know Biden signed an act to boost domestic production of semiconductor chips, yeah?

The reality is that this stuff will cost more to make here. It’ll provide good paying jobs but overall if we repatriate a lot of manufacturing it’s going to probably lead to a decline in the standard of living for a lot of people. The average Joe might not be able to afford an iPhone made here.

Fair price to pay for not being owned by China though.

You know Biden signed an act to boost domestic production of semiconductor chips, yeah?

You know when Biden was first elected to the Senate the US had about 70% of global production and has fallen to about 10% during his political career, yeah?

0*hqBN9Lyo7_yNbThK

Biden continually pledges us into a position that could have devastating effects globally. And the White House continually has to walk back his statements

I think Biden just tells the truth, and the "White House" walks it back for bullshit diplomacy.

Why is it the truth? We are in no position to have Taiwan attacked. RockDog is correct in his assessment. Neither is most of the rest of the world.

You know when Biden was first elected to the Senate the US had about 70% of global production and has fallen to about 10% during his political career, yeah?

0*hqBN9Lyo7_yNbThK
Neat, so I’m glad someone is finally doing something about it.

The reality is that this stuff will cost more to make here. It’ll provide good paying jobs but overall if we repatriate a lot of manufacturing it’s going to probably lead to a decline in the standard of living for a lot of people. The average Joe might not be able to afford an iPhone made here.

Fair price to pay for not being owned by China though.
People could afford nice shit when we made shit here.

No one needs an iPhone. Get a cheap Android.

I think Biden just tells the truth, and the "White House" walks it back for bullshit diplomacy.

He swerves into it only because he doesn't know where he's at and he goes off script...

In actuality Biden has been a loose cannon for much of his career saying what no one else will. I always liked that he got a little sideways with the Clintons back in the day...

Sad that he is so easily manipulated now...

Not every thing that Trump did, or tried to do, was bad. Repatriating American manufacturing should be a major goal for us.

I appreciate your honesty. However this is the mindset that got us here. And to deny that it did is disingenuous by all.

Wow, first HandH and now you sounding like a MAGA supporter...
Eh, I voted for Perot.
He swerves into it only because he doesn't know where he's at and he goes off script...

In actuality Biden has been a loose cannon for much of his career saying what no one else will. I always liked that he got a little sideways with the Clintons back in the day...

Sad that he is so easily manipulated now...
I am 100% sure he knows what he is doing when he says that about Taiwan.

China is not a new threat to Taiwan, obviously. We have been selling arms to Taiwan since the Carter Administration. I'd argue we have been preparing for war there for a long time.
However this is the mindset that got us here.
Partially.

Truly cheap shit is never coming back. And really, it shouldn't. Our focus has to be on technology and high value added products. Also steel and aluminum. We are not going to be making cheap underwear and socks here again. And I'm not saying that as a joke, I remember when Fruit of the Loom closed their last US plant in Kentucky.

I'm also not too keen on the Chinese owning companies here. Look at how shitty the jobs are now at GE Appliances since the Chinese bought it. $16 an hour, hell Amazon pays $20. The Chinese are cheap and shitty.

Eh, I voted for Perot.

I am 100% sure he knows what he is doing when he says that about Taiwan.

China is not a new threat to Taiwan, obviously. We have been selling arms to Taiwan since the Carter Administration. I'd argue we have been preparing for war there for a long time.

Partially.

Truly cheap shit is never coming back. And really, it shouldn't. Our focus has to be on technology and high value added products. Also steel and aluminum. We are not going to be making cheap underwear and socks here again. And I'm not saying that as a joke, I remember when Fruit of the Loom closed their last US plant in Kentucky.

I'm also not too keen on the Chinese owning companies here. Look at how shitty the jobs are now at GE Appliances since the Chinese bought it. $16 an hour, hell Amazon pays $20. The Chinese are cheap and shitty.
And also buying up all the real estate.

Damn we should pass some sort of act so we can make more CHIPs here.

But also, we would have another choice, which is just to do nothing then buy them from China. Chock full of spyware baked right into the chip.

Better do what we need to to ramp up domestic production.
short answer to a question. If Taiwan is attacked by China, I believe we are at war. If not, they would control us more.

Why is it the truth? We are in no position to have Taiwan attacked. RockDog is correct in his assessment. Neither is most of the rest of the world.
The problem is the lack of consistency. Especially to a country like China. Maybe the confusing inconsistency is a tactic. At this point, who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT