ADVERTISEMENT

CHOKEY Bear- -Blows another Big one

oldeherd

Gold Buffalo
Jan 24, 2014
Tonight in Lawrence KS WV's Moo moo wearing Head Coach had to watch his team perform an All time melt down in less than final 3 minutes, blowing a 14 point lead against the Jayhawks. Lost in ot, 84-80.

Really, really pains me as a Herd Fan cause I know that according to all those sycophants at Metro News along with bozos like Mitch Dingleberry at the Gagzette that Huggins is undoubtedly an all time unmatched genius in the world of college basketball!! I'm SO CRUSHED!! :confused:

That was a complete fail by WV to close that out. Kansas is soft as Charmin and had all but given up when WV was beaten at their own game, pressure. Huggins is a very good coach but that was brutal to watch, for just a second I felt sorry for the players. Still the bottom line is WV is a dangerous team and needs to put this behind them quickly, I don't believe any team wants to be in their bracket on selection day.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdZilla22
When we can close out a big W on the road I'll join in on the love towards Chuggy B, still you can't argue with his long term success as a HC. Is He a drunk? Yes! Is he like all other eerbillys afraid to play Marshall? Yes! Does he need to lose 200 pounds? YES!

Still I rather like Chuggy, he's a guy you could sit at the bar and throw a few back with and feel at home.

I do wish they would play home and home every year though, ( football and basketball) for the states sake alone it would be nice. Or for the sake of all the West Virginia native players and coaches on Marshall's team it would be nice too. Does WVU have any players or coaches from WV outside of Chuggy? I dunno.

Home and home every year! Let's play ball for the sake of the state!

Reactions: Herd Fever
Huggy is a piece of shit who would slap you upside the head while sitting at the bar with him if you mention home and home every year.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
I don't like him but the man can coach. He's gotten WVU to new heights in b'ball. They will be dangerous come tourney time.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
We have enough of our own problems to be worrying about what is going on at USPAM.

Is Thuggie a completely degraded and degenerate person? Yes, and the USPAM football coach is him, 15 years younger.

Is USPAM heading for an NCAA probation that will make SMU think it got off light? Yes, certainly.

Are USPAM's non-alumni fans obnoxious and delusional? Yes.

And, we cannot beat Southern Mississippi.

Does WVU have any players or coaches from WV outside of Chuggy? I dunno.
Starting forward Nathan Adrian (6'9") is from Morgantown (Morgantown High). There are also two non-scholarship players from WV (6'3" G Chase Harler, Wheeling Central and 6'11" C Logan Rout, Cameron). Next year, Brandon Knapper (6'0" G, South Charleston High/Hargrave Military Acad.) will join the team on scholarship.

Starting forward Nathan Adrian (6'9") is from Morgantown (Morgantown High). There are also two non-scholarship players from WV (6'3" G Chase Harler, Wheeling Central and 6'11" C Logan Rout, Cameron). Next year, Brandon Knapper (6'0" G, South Charleston High/Hargrave Military Acad.) will join the team on scholarship.

Harler is walking on at WVU? Wow.

Harler is walking on at WVU? Wow.
I believe Harler was a walk-on last year as a freshman, but is now on scholarship. He has seen playing time in 13 of WVU's 26 games (87 minutes total) this season (1.8 points/game). Adrian leads the team in rebounds (6.4/game) and is third in scoring (10.8/game). Logan Rout has 12 pts. and 12 rebs. in 31 minutes of action this year.

I believe Harler was a walk-on last year as a freshman, but is now on scholarship. He has seen playing time in 13 of WVU's 26 games (87 minutes total) this season (1.8 points/game). Adrian leads the team in rebounds (6.4/game) and is third in scoring (10.8/game). Logan Rout has 12 pts. and 12 rebs. in 31 minutes of action this year.

Pretty sure Harler is only a freshman this year.

Regardless, my "wow" comment was because he's a very good player who had multiple D1 offers (including to MU) so getting him to w/o at WVU would be quite the recruiting coup.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
We can malign BH all we want, but that won't change his success, and his dynamic team this year. Not giving WVU credit for a great game last night, or beating KU at home earlier is silly. They are good; denying it doesn't change that fact. Yes, they blew the game but everyone does on occasion. Even speaking about this, after we were beaten by USM this year by 23 is ultra-bold I guess. Speak about having a plank in our own eyes...

Reactions: R Bar
Huggy is a piece of shit who would slap you upside the head while sitting at the bar with him if you mention home and home every year.

Worse than that 88, if you would, by chance, drink yourself off your bar stool first, odds are good that Huggy would be the first one down on the floor to roll you!! And, try as you might, you will never, NEVER ever hear him take responsibility for any Mountaineer failures, i.e., "losses". Its ALWAYS something the players did, or didn't do, despite all his teaching/coaching. Is the first to throw his players UNDER THE BUS!!

No, we at MU don't have the basketball "resume" over the last several decades. Don't have his well glossed over "baggage" either. Go back and research the end of his tenure at Cincinnati, if you don't believe me. Some of his teams' total academic "failure" and the comments of the then UC president over the nature of his Bearcat program. One thing is pretty obvious: If UC EVER, EVER hires another ex-WVU player/grad as its head coach, after the kind of sleaziness that existed in its basketball program, first under Gale Catlett, followed by Huggins, then they deserve all the trouble and woe they will get!!

Last edited:
That was a complete fail by WV to close that out. Kansas is soft as Charmin and had all but given up when WV was beaten at their own game, pressure. Huggins is a very good coach but that was brutal to watch, for just a second I felt sorry for the players. Still the bottom line is WV is a dangerous team and needs to put this behind them quickly, I don't believe any team wants to be in their bracket on selection day.

I totally agree with you GREENDUKE
[can y'all believe I am agreeing with GreenDuke].....WVU is an excellent team...I thought for sure they would get out "the brooms" and sweep the Jayhawks. Like Him or Not---Hugs is a great coach (record speaks to that). He always recruits guys that "are in your face." I support, no team wants to be in their bracket ...come selection Sunday.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: GreenDuke
No, we at MU don't have the basketball "resume" over the last several decades.

we don't have the "resume" period. i'm not sure what happened before the "last several decades" you are referring to.

since 1907 we have won THREE conference tournaments, FOUR conference regular season titles, and been to the NCAA tourney FIVE times.

since 1980 Huggins has won TEN conference tournaments, ELEVEN conference regular season titles, and been to the NCAA tourney TWENTY-TWO times.

we don't have the "resume" period. i'm not sure what happened before the "last several decades" you are referring to.

since 1907 we have won THREE conference tournaments, FOUR conference regular season titles, and been to the NCAA tourney FIVE times.

since 1980 Huggins has won TEN conference tournaments, ELEVEN conference regular season titles, and been to the NCAA tourney TWENTY-TWO times.

That keeps Huggins from being an all-time great... No National Championships.

Even really good teams have a WTF game from time to time. Huggs is a dirtbag alcoholic, but his entire body of success still has to be acknowledged.

Reactions: andy4theherd
New Even really good teams have a WTF game from time to time. Huggs is a dirtbag alcoholic, but his entire body of success still has to be acknowledged.

And really good programs even have WTF years , like Football this year for ND MSU Marshall.

Chuggy has done well for the eeerbillys. What does it say about a school that decides to let a great up and coming coach go for a DUI then a traffic violation , vs a school that hires a coach after he got released for a DUI and has had continual alcohol problems since being hired?

and what's sad is WVu trolls will read this thread, see there are plenty of rational-minded Marshall posters, yet run to their boards talking about how every single Marshall fan is talking trash about how bad Huggs is and their team.

I do wish they would play home and home every year though, ( football and basketball) for the states sake alone it would be nice.
Home and home every year! Let's play ball for the sake of the state!

Football teams do not play home and home every year with anyone at all. ..........and name me two basketball teams that play home and home every year unless they are in the same conference.

Reactions: jocktalker
WVU will be a real problem come tournament time , they have been before and I totally expect to see them in the Sweet 16 and very possibly the Elite 8. That being said they have a propensity for losing a game they should not as in the other night when they blew a 14 point lead with a few over 2 min to go then lost in OT.

Huggins can flat out coach for sure , like him or not you have to admit the man is one heck of a floor coach and continues to bring talent to WVU at least the talent that allows WVU to be a conference contender as well as year in and year out going to The Dance...much unlike us.

Atleast Huggins is guaranteed to get WVU into the tourney every year. I just dont get why Marshall fans continue to bash him.

His team would beat us by 40+ this year.

Reactions: sistersville
fev read the thread it's actually quite complimentary of his Ws just his alcohol problems over shadow that body of work. I think your point that we would lose by 40 is a PERFECT example of why the two teams should play every year home and home series rotating back and forth every other year. Let's see how WV plays in The Cam, they are 0-5 as it stands now, would they beat DD by 40 at the Cam? That's a bold statement. What's our record at home this year?

And really good programs even have WTF years , like Football this year for ND MSU Marshall.

Chuggy has done well for the eeerbillys. What does it say about a school that decides to let a great up and coming coach go for a DUI then a traffic violation , vs a school that hires a coach after he got released for a DUI and has had continual alcohol problems since being hired?

I am with you on Chris D. During the past two years, I have gotton to know Duhon. I have played golf with he & Dan D. He is a nice guy, an aspiring Head Coach...that has said to me often...."Sweeney, I'm at Marshall because I am learning to coach under a guy that has proven at the high school level & PRO LEVEL...Coach Dan knows how to handle, teach, coach, SUPPORT players & his staff." He added, "my wife is a professor at Marshall---we are where we want to be at this time in our lives."

I am not without sin....I have been LUCKY as Hell after MANY tailgate parties at HERD football games to not be stopped by the police. Like most in the parking lot at The Joan....I drink too many beers, sometimes some "hard stuff"------that I should not leave under the influence & drive. I even have a few beers in the Hartley Room at The Cam.

Yet, some on this Board....talk crap about Duhon.....and I will bet $1,000....they have done the same thing. I REST MY CASE.

I hope Mike Hamrick decides to bring Chris back. Huggy Bear (WVU) has a known drinking problem, yet, WVU has the good sense to support him because he is a damn great coach & his players LOVE HIM.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I hope Mike Hamrick decides to bring Chris back. Huggy Bear (WVU) has a known drinking problem, yet, WVU has the good sense to support him because he is a damn great coach & his players LOVE HIM.

When I read Smocks article on him and how much the players loved him I was thinking we should have suspended him the rest of the season, and addressed it post season. He's a talent and he and DD are PB&J in how they run the team. I doubt Hamrick brings him back but I feel Du can be saved, and should be....why not? Let's say he fails one more time? Then who can blame Hamrick for saying he was worth the try?

Say what you will and criticize Huggins all you want - I do. However, that being said, look at the players he gets and his overall TEAM performance. They generally win and unlike Marshall get in to post-season play with regularity.

Yet, some on this Board....talk crap about Duhon.....and I will bet $1,000....they have done the same thing. I REST MY CASE.

I would imagine most of those that criticized Duhon for his decision making have not had multiple arrests that ended up in stays at the Western Regional Jail so let's not get carried away in the blind support.

He had like 4 chances and you still wanted to give him 1 more chance.

Was it 4 ? Or are you embellishing?

Huggins is such a drunk he lived in a hotel for 2 years so he could go down and get drunk every night. Dana is such a drunk he was removed from the cross lanes dog track physically by

Our guy get a ciatation for revoked license and gets dismissed? Again he WASNT drunk, wasn't another DUI.

I'm just saying people don't love you for no reason. Teams don't love a coach for no reason. There's some real good in this guy, some quality stuff, that if I'm comparing appears a lot more solid than our Chuggy and Dana dynamic drunken duo.

That's why I hate to see him dismissed. IMO he could be salvaged.

Again if I was Doc I would have sent Chase away, but Doc has laid down the law and the QB position is up for grabs. There is a reason for that, Doc sees something worth salvaging.

Again I know if your a true eeridiot, I understand , anything Marshall does should be vilified as the vendetta only grows each year with the cowardness being manifested in internet non game aggression. Maybe the entire school should be put on probabtion by the state till they force the home and home series?

My parents deserve to keep their hard earned tax dollars in state!

Was it 4 ? Or are you embellishing?

Huggins is such a drunk he lived in a hotel for 2 years so he could go down and get drunk every night. Dana is such a drunk he was removed from the cross lanes dog track physically by

Our guy get a ciatation for revoked license and gets dismissed? Again he WASNT drunk, wasn't another DUI.

I'm just saying people don't love you for no reason. Teams don't love a coach for no reason. There's some real good in this guy, some quality stuff, that if I'm comparing appears a lot more solid than our Chuggy and Dana dynamic drunken duo.

That's why I hate to see him dismissed. IMO he could be salvaged.

Again if I was Doc I would have sent Chase away, but Doc has laid down the law and the QB position is up for grabs. There is a reason for that, Doc sees something worth salvaging.

Again I know if your a true eeridiot, I understand , anything Marshall does should be vilified as the vendetta only grows each year with the cowardness being manifested in internet non game aggression. Maybe the entire school should be put on probabtion by the state till they force the home and home series?

My parents deserve to keep their hard earned tax dollars in state!

This was the 4th incident and Im sure he had talkings about his license recently.

If Charleston had a 80,000 seat NFL stadium

WVU still wouldnt play us there every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT