ADVERTISEMENT

Clueless Coaches: QB Recruit

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I worked with this kid at the Manning Passing Academy a few years ago. Ridiculously, his only FBS offer is Kent State, whose head coach is a QB coach.

He is 6'5, 210 lbs., which means he will be at least a 6'5, 235 lbs. college QB. You can't coach this type of arm strength. For a big QB, his release is above average. That size, composure, a very strong arm, and at least mediocre foot speed translates to a hell of an air raid QB. Give me two years to work with this kid, one being a redshirt, and I'll make him an all-conference QB in C-USA.

He's better than the Greenup QB who Marshall has committed currently:

He lives in Murfreesboro. Hope he wasn't at the game Saturday. Actually, maybe he saw just desperately we need a QB!

Reactions: riflearm2
Dang I like his video , we need to make him an offer. Do you think you could have him in Huntington by Saturday? I think he could start for us

Dang I like his video , we need to make him an offer. Do you think you could have him in Huntington by Saturday? I think he could start for us

That’s video from last year. I imagine he’s improved as a senior.

Reactions: ohio herd
Any reason that if he is so good, why only Kent has offered? Seems like about 129 FBS programs have misjudged him ...

Any reason that if he is so good, why only Kent has offered? Seems like about 129 FBS programs have misjudged him ...

He moved from his sophomore to junior year and then again from his junior to senior year. Before his junior season (last year), he arrived to the area just a few weeks before the season started. Those things cause enough issues. But he also missed a bunch of games last season due to an injury.

And the title of this thread is a lot of the reason: clueless coaches.

Most coaches, especially at quarterback, are afraid of being the first one to offer. They have the same mindset that you inquired about: how come he doesn’t have more offers?

They don’t trust their own evaluation, think there must be other issues, don’t want to end up with egg on their face if they are the only guy who offers, etc.

I was the first D1 coach to offer Jordan Ta’amu our of JUCO. He ended up having two big years at Ole Miss.

I was the first D1 to offer McLane Carter after his transfer. He ended up going to Texas Tech and was starting at Rutgers this season before being injured.

I was the first D1 to offer Jake Luton after his bounce back year from Idaho. He ended up signing with Oregon State (and is having a good season this year).

I was at an FCS, so I didn’t have much of a chance at getting those guys, but it makes no sense for most schools not to offer, build a better/deeper relationship by doing so, and earning loyalty by offering a kid before the other schools do.

If a couple of more schools offer a kid, you usually see another five jump on board shortly thereafter.

Kent St is stockpiling QB's......Number 1 QB from Maryland is Redshirting.

Lewis does a great job with recruiting. Be interested to see what they do in the MAC......Their OOC schedule is brutal.

Kent is a great college town, in my opinion.

Agreed! There is nothing cooler than having the rush of adrenaline knowing that the National Guard may shoot you while walking from class-to-class.

Simply playing tag is too childish for college students. You should definitely increase the stakes and use bullets instead of hands to "tag" somebody. I couldn't imagine a more fun college environment:

ulIxbWh.jpg

A bit of trivia: both the lead singer of The Pretenders and the bassist for Devo (known most for their hit single "Whip It") took part in the protests.

What are the chances that members of two different successful bands would go to Kent, be there at the same time, and both take part in the same protest?

Last edited:
Reactions: johns1124
Agreed! There is nothing cooler than having the rush of adrenaline knowing that the National Guard may shoot you while walking from class-to-class.

Simply playing tag is too childish for college students. You should definitely increase the stakes and uses bullets instead of hands to "tag" somebody. I couldn't imagine a more fun college environment:

ulIxbWh.jpg

A bit of trivia: both the lead singer of The Pretenders and the bassist for Devo (known most for their hit single "Whip It") took part in the protests.

What are the chances that members of two different successful bands would go to Kent, be there at the same time, and both take part in the same protest?
Not your best post IMHO, particularly for those of us who actually lived through these days.

Reactions: Elkview
Not your best post IMHO, particularly for those of us who actually lived through these days.

I'm sorry that you're old.

I believe in the 50 year rule. As long as no true malice is intended, things that occurred 50 years ago or longer are free to be joked about. Granted, I am about six months premature to the 50 year threshold for the shootings, but my ex-girlfriends say I do everything prematurely, so it's par for the course.

[QUOTE="riflearm2, post: 639567, member: 244

What are the chances that members of two different successful bands would go to Kent, be there at the same time, and both take part in the same protest?[/QUOTE]

Apparently 100%

Simply playing tag is too childish for college students. You should definitely increase the stakes and use bullets instead of hands to "tag" somebody. I couldn't imagine a more fun college environment:

ulIxbWh.jpg

Two lead singers and a pretty successful Football Coach at Kent in those turbulent times!

Rifle.....outside of the top prospects, isn’t QB recruiting pretty much a crap shoot?

Particularly at our level, doesn’t it come down to QB development?

Back to the OP, why don't you just contact some of your coaching buddies and put them on to this guy?

Frankly, I am sick of helping people who don't stand on the table for me. Last year, multiple times, two younger full-time coaches called me early in the season to 1) See if I could send him any of the fake field goals I had used against them the year prior 2) Go over a punt scheme that I had taught them a year earlier. They were preparing to play an FCS, and I told one of them he was crazy to want to run a fake against an FCS. Save that shit for a team you need help beating, not an FCS you should easily beat.

Another coach, a current FBS OC, used to ask me for help getting him a head coaching job. I earned him an interview for the Nevada job (two coaches ago) and he was the runner-up for it after the AD and president flew to meet him at a Dallas hotel. I got him an interview for the Eastern Michigan head coaching job. He's now an OC. You'd think after all of the favors he asked of me, he'd stand on a table and tell his new HC to hire me on his offensive staff. Nope. The OC was too scared to even go to bat for his best friend (a very experienced OL coach) to get on the staff, even though he had worked with him at two previous FBS schools. And that offense has been the worst in the country over the last three years.

An Indiana/Rutgers assistant called me to help him with a recruit whom he wanted and whom he knew I was pretty close to. He wanted me to put in a good word for him (the kid was committed to Georgia Tech) and try talking him into decommitting from Tech. You think guy ever stood on the table and went to bat for me? I don't.

The private school OL that had no offers that I gave to a coordinator at Penn State to immediately check out? He was offered by them two weeks later, right after Herb Hand talked to him. The kid had no offers at the time, and only Virginia and Maryland offered him before Penn State. He ended up going to Stanford. What did that do for me? That same coordinator was implicated for an NCAA violation when a kid he was recruiting (a highly rated recruit who ended up going to Michigan State) posted on Facebook that "Coach XXXX came to see me today, asked our coach to call me into the office, and told me that the only reason he was at the school was to see me." The only problem is that the recruit was a junior in high school, not a senior, so talking to him in that capacity is a pretty decent violation. I immediately had the Penn State coordinator's dad call his son so that he could have the recruit take down that post. Have they ever done anything to return the favor? I don't think either are bad guys, but I'm sick of basically being smarter, more creative, and more resourceful than these guys, helping them, and none of them standing on the table for me.

The industry is full of cowards that are too scared to speak up for the right thing and too worried about covering their ass.

At my last school, the coach in charge of punt block had his cards drawn up for the scout team's punt team for that practice. His guys (the punt block unit) were practicing against the exact look the upcoming opponent showed. The only problem was that he had all of the cards and schemes drawn up for a rugby, right-footed punter. The upcoming opponent was a rugby, left-footed punter. In other words, he was going to waste an entire practice of punt block with his guys running the scheme on the wrong side. Being new there, I told the DC to let his guy (the guy coaching punt block was a defensive coach) know about that error so he could switch it before practice. The DC didn't like that coach, so he said "**** him, let him hang himself." I knew that was wrong, so I told the other full-time defensive guys on staff. They had the same "Oh, shit" response, but neither of them wanted to say anything to him, because the more somebody else fvcks up, the safer their job is.

It was unbelievable. All of these guys who pretended to be friends with this coach and were on the same side of the ball didn't want to tell him about his huge error that was going to make him look really bad and hurt the team.

Practice comes along, and sure enough, they started doing it for the wrong side the punter would be kicking from. I was standing next to the DFO, an immature 28 year old who was getting paid $120,000. I told him that he may want to say something so they can flip it before the practice periods were over, but he wanted to see if the head coach would notice. Nope. He didn't. Two days later, when they practiced punt block again, he realized he had it entirely wrong in the first practice, but that ended up being a huge waste of time.

And you want me to put this kid on one of those type of coaches? No thanks.

Rifle.....outside of the top prospects, isn’t QB recruiting pretty much a crap shoot?

Particularly at our level, doesn’t it come down to QB development?

In many cases, it probably is. If you take the time to invest into getting to know these kids, make sure they are at your camps, show up to their game(s) two hours early so you can see how he throws in warmups, how he prepares, don't spend 20 minutes going over film on an visit but spend two hours, etc., you can get a very good indication of who you should go with.

Not enough coaches are willing to do that. They go with the kid they think they can land. They're too scared for their HC to see them invest a ton of time recruiting a kid only to see him shun them the night before signing day. It's easier to take the safe route, go with the kid you know you're going to get, and hope he turns into something.

Rifle, I really don't mean this to be derogatory in any way, just some advice. Have you thought about how your general attitude (never wrong, smarter than everybody) may be impacting those people's inclination to "stand on a table" for you?

Unless everything you do on here is a big act, I wouldn't bring you on my team even if you are as smart as you let on. You may think you hide it in the real world, but nobody is as good at hiding their true self as they think they are. Being right all the time, surprisingly, isn't necessarily a good thing and can be a real detriment to a career if you point it out all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT