ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Huff on Cam Fancher and the QB Situatoin

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
"I'll go ahead and address it. If we play today, Cam Fancher would be our starting quarterback. Umm. Over the next 30 days Cam is going to have to continue to improve. If he does not then he will not be the starting quarterback. It's just that simple. Umm. Cam is the only player in the quarterback room with actual Marshall game experience. Ummm. I understand there's a lot of potential in the room. I'm excited about the potential and the youth in the room, but at the end of the day there's only been one guy that's actually played Sun Belt Conference meaningful football. Hopefully over the next 30 days the rest of the guys in the room can make the steps needed to be ready when that time is right. That is not a...umm... I don't believe in quarterback controversy. I believe that if a coach stands up and says that we don't know who the quarterback at this point he's either deceiving you guys or he honestly does not have a quarterback which is not good. Ummm, but I don't want to believe that and Cam knows that if he doesn't come out and perform the way he needs to perform then he won't play."

A lot of Coach speak. Same things are said by Coach Huff’s mentor down in Tuscaloosa. He always says, “if guys don’t perform in practice they won’t play” and usually is very vague on committing publicly and to the media about specific players and playing time.

That soundbite tells me that Fancher will be under center for Albany (who we should blow out) and the following week for ECU... Hopefully he has worked on his accuracy on intermediate throws and his recognition of when to sit in the pocket versus when to run.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I’m glad it was not a blanket endorsement, keep Cam on his toes. Hopping Pennington or one of the other young kids take his place by stepping up.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I’m glad it was not a blanket endorsement, keep Cam on his toes. Hopping Pennington or one of the other young kids take his place by stepping up.
Ffs. Or you could hope Cam's made strides and improved himself through hard work in the offseason. I don't get the mentality of our fans always throwing players under the bus and actively rooting for them to fail.

Ffs. Or you could hope Cam's made strides and improved himself through hard work in the offseason. I don't get the mentality of our fans always throwing players under the bus and actively rooting for them to fail.
This. Just don't understand it. If others were that damn good, they'd be starting. It's not like Huff and staff don't want to win every game.

I hope the guy from Rice is given a shot at starting. If not why did we bring him here?To be a backup we already have enough of them.
I wonder how much run he's getting and how much pressure he's actually putting on Cam. Especially with the rumors about his shoulder.

This. Just don't understand it. If others were that damn good, they'd be starting. It's not like Huff and staff don't want to win every game.
I don't think anyone is rooting for Cam to fail. I think what we all want is to finally have stability and success at that position no matter who it is. The problem is that the evidence that we have seen to this point does not suggest that is what we're going to get.

Sure Cam could improve, but the question is what is his actual potential? Also does Trickett use him correctly. I'm still of the belief that in order for Cam and this offense to be successful we need to use his athleticism a lot more instead of trying to make him a pocket passer. Which he is not. Using him like Pat White was used with Ali and Payne could be absolutely lethal.

Last season our offense ranked as follows.

Team
3rd Down %: 79th
Completion %: 65th
1st Down Offense: 60th
Passing Offense: 110th
Scoring Offense: 90th
Yards per completion: 103rd
Red Zone Offense: t125th
Passing Efficiency: 90th

Fancher
Completion %: 101st
Passing Efficiency: 96th
Passing TDs: t103rd (1.43 per game)
Yard per Game: 110th
Yards per attempt: 89th
Yards per completion: 66th

We need more from the QB position no matter who is back there taking the snaps.

Last edited:
I understand coach speak, but a “Cam has made some strides and is seeing the field much better. That doesn’t mean the other guys aren’t improving either, so Cam has to keep growing” is a lot different and a lot more encouraging.

Reactions: ohio herd
I sense that Huff has been influenced by Saban and will not hesitate to pull Cam if he isn't getting the job done on the field this year. This will be year2 for him as a starter and if he is not getting it done I suspect we will see someone else taking some snaps.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I sense that Huff has been influenced by Saban and will not hesitate to pull Cam if he isn't getting the job done on the field this year. This will be year2 for him as a starter and if he is not getting it done I suspect we will see someone else taking some snaps.
That's provided what's behind him is better. Cam may struggle, but that doesn't mean that who's behind him is ready to play. Cam is a raw QB talent and from what we saw last season it wouldn't take that great of a QB to push him for the position. If Cam looks exactly like last year in when we take the field then that tells you that those behind him aren't that great.

I'm hoping that Trickett and Huff take full advantage of Cam's athleticism and use him more like Pat White. Fancher coupled with Ali and Payne in that type of offense would be lethal in the SBC.

That's provided what's behind him is better. Cam may struggle, but that doesn't mean that who's behind him is ready to play. Cam is a raw QB talent and from what we saw last season it wouldn't take that great of a QB to push him for the position. If Cam looks exactly like last year in when we take the field then that tells you that those behind him aren't that great.

I'm hoping that Trickett and Huff take full advantage of Cam's athleticism and use him more like Pat White. Fancher coupled with Ali and Payne in that type of offense would be lethal in the SBC.

I think your right. We have to use his athleticism to mask his deficiency as a passer.

I think your right. We have to use his athleticism to mask his deficiency as a passer.
We struggled in Pass Pro last season too. I stopped counting, but we were on pace for the most surrendered sacks we've ever given up.

Adding that dynamic would help the OL because the defense isn't just going to be able to pin their ears back.

I'd settle for how Solich used Tettleton. Roll Fancher out. If the defense pursues then dump it to the TE/Slot that's streaking and if the defense drops back then take off for 9-11 yards and take the crease if it's there to bust off a big one.

Cam was only completing 55.7% of his passes last season. That won't get it done as a pure passer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT