ADVERTISEMENT

Colombi news??

I believe next year's starter will be from the portal.
I would say that is doubtful, unless some clearcut star randomly decides to transfer here... If you bring in another one-year transfer then you run the risk of all 3 freshmen saying see ya later and transferring.

In a perfect world, we somehow win six games with Fancher/Colombi... Then we have a wide open 3-man competition for the QB job next year beginning the day after the bowl game. One of the freshmen wins the job, one is a clear #2, and the other probably hits the portal.

The Herd will have to win 7 in order to be bowl-eligable.

Maybe the best result would be for the Herd to win seven & an interim HC named to coach the bowl game.

The Herd will have to win 7 in order to be bowl-eligable.

Maybe the best result would be for the Herd to win seven & an interim HC named to coach the bowl game.
Theoretically, but not in reality... If we win 6 games we will play in a bowl game. MU will file for a hardship waiver saying that conference realignment "forced" us to schedule two FCS teams. Bowl games make too much money to have unfilled spots. All teams that win 6 games will play in some bowl.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That is true.. he has played a lot of football and just needs to throw the ball, even throw it away at times. More throws he can get off the more confidence he can build and things might start clicking.. but with a bad line you can’t go 15/20/50 yard pass routes.

it’s funny how the line gives him enough time to throw every screen pass we have attempted, but not enough time to make a 5 yard WR slant or some type of a TE curl. The QB coaching and play calling isn’t help Colombi..
The OL has sucked, but it's not all on them. There were times last week that Colombi had time to throw. He just wouldn't step up and let it fly. He freezes. Maybe it's because he's been hit so much he's damaged goods at this point. Who knows. Either way I think we're seeing why he's been a career backup.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
The OL has sucked, but it's not all on them. There were times last week that Colombi had time to throw. He just wouldn't step up and let it fly. He freezes. Maybe it's because he's been hit so much he's damaged goods at this point. Who knows. Either way I think we're seeing why he's been a career backup.
I just looked at his stats against WVU last year, doesn’t appear to have a big arm, but looks like his OC found a way to work with it. I agree that he just freezes up sometimes. I don’t think he’s ever been taught to throw the ball away instead of taking bad sacks.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401287916

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I just looked at his stats against WVU last year, doesn’t appear to have a big arm, but looks like his OC found a way to work with it. I agree that he just freezes up sometimes. I don’t think he’s ever been taught to throw the ball away instead of taking bad sacks.

I've watched that game several times leading up to this season to try and get a feel for him and their defense was the story of that game. Colombi even when he's playing at his best comes off as just a game manager. Much like at ND. He's not going to win you any games by carving up defenses. He just does enough to help you win if he's supported by a strong run game and defense.

You're only going to go so far with a QB like Colombi. You have to have a QB that can make plays and push the ball down the field vertically. As I watched the games this past Saturday it was painfully evident just how bad our QB situation is.

If we're every going to get back to championship football we're going to need another playmaker. Another Chad, Byron, Cato, or Payton. Guys that can just take over games and make plays out of nothing if they have to.

I've watched that game several times leading up to this season to try and get a feel for him and their defense was the story of that game. Colombi even when he's playing at his best comes off as just a game manager. Much like at ND. He's not going to win you any games by carving up defenses. He just does enough to help you win if he's supported by a strong run game and defense.

You're only going to go so far with a QB like Colombi. You have to have a QB that can make plays and push the ball down the field vertically. As I watched the games this past Saturday it was painfully evident just how bad our QB situation is.

If we're every going to get back to championship football we're going to need another playmaker. Another Chad, Byron, Cato, or Payton. Guys that can just take over games and make plays out of nothing if they have to.
I like the Zamora kid. If we get out of bowl eligibility, I say we give each freshman an entire game at QB with a full play book and let them audition for next season.

Good/seasoned/veteran/whatever OCs/QB coaches typically can take a nobody and produce.. in our situation we have non of the above… Chads starting days were not glamorous but we made adjustments and even set him out a year while they closed the gap, and we were fun and exciting and confident….

Marshall football hasn’t been exciting since Cato left and that was just alittle excitement.. time we make better hires and get this team back to wanting to win..

There are also times the play calling isn’t helping a weak/bad line play.. Trick Daddy has to figure that out..

There are also times the play calling isn’t helping a weak/bad line play.. Trick Daddy has to figure that out..
Oh there's plenty of blame to go around. I do wonder how much of our playcalling is because the staff now realizes how limited Colombi is.

Question 2: Is Huff just too stubborn to admit the mistake or do they have even less trust in Fancher.

The sad possibility is that Colombi may give us our best chance. We see the game, but we don't see practice. Sometimes that's hard for us fans to grasp. Fancher may not be able to understand the playbook. He may be inaccurate in practice and Colombi may look good in practice, but when it goes live he shrinks.

All we do know is our situation is not good and our options are few.

Last edited:
Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Oh there's plenty of blame to go around. I do wonder how much of our playcalling is because the staff now realizes how limited Colombi is.

Question 2 is Huff just too stubborn admit the mistake or they have even less trust in Fancher.

The sad possibility is that Colombi may give us our best chance. We see the game, but we don't see practice. Sometimes that's hard for us fans to grasp. Fancher may not be able to understand the playbook. He may be inaccurate in practice and Colombi may look good in practice, but when it goes live he shrinks.

Have you watched Fancher’s throwing mechanics? He’s not the answer now, and probably never will be. He’s our version of Taysom Hill.

Reactions: raleighherdfan

Question 2 is Huff just too stubborn admit the mistake or they have even less trust in Fancher.

Shrinkage!

• Haha
Yeah, it’s seems like he just flips it, like a rubber band.
Have you watched Fancher’s throwing mechanics? He’s not the answer now, and probably never will be. He’s our version of Taysom Hill.
Not knocking anyone mechanics, if one has the ability to complete Passes and move the chains, I do think both QBs can complete passes they are just at a point of not having the conference to attempt them, fanchers not a pocket passer so he might think run before forcing a pass, Colombi isn’t a pocket passer and he’s trying to stay alive just his internal clock is about 2 secs to fast.

I just would like to see quicker passes for shorter gains, maybe only 3-4 WR screens a game, the use of the RB as a outlet more, and fire Trick Daddy and Bill Legg… that’s all

Not knocking anyone mechanics, if one has the ability to complete Passes and move the chains, I do think both QBs can complete passes they are just at a point of not having the conference to attempt them, fanchers not a pocket passer so he might think run before forcing a pass, Colombi isn’t a pocket passer and he’s trying to stay alive just his internal clock is about 2 secs to fast.

I just would like to see quicker passes for shorter gains, maybe only 3-4 WR screens a game, the use of the RB as a outlet more, and fire Trick Daddy and Bill Legg… that’s all
We are running those patterns and the one time Colombi actually threw the ball forward Gammage ripped off a huge run after catch. This is why you have Gammage coming of the field slamming his helmet. Keaton is open a lot and Colombi never looks to him.

I'm not excusing Trickett's play calling at all, but the routes we all want to see are being ran. Colombi isn't completing them. I do wonder if he's hiding an injury because that INT he threw didn't appear to have much velocity on it. His dad was tweeting about fans not realizing how many players play hurt. We just assumed he was talking about a concussion. I wonder if Colombi has an arm injury he's hiding from the staff.

We are running those patterns and the one time Colombi actually threw the ball forward Gammage ripped off a huge run after catch. This is why you have Gammage coming of the field slamming his helmet. Keaton is open a lot and Colombi never looks to him.

I'm not excusing Trickett's play calling at all, but the routes we all want to see are being ran. Colombi isn't completing them. I do wonder if he's hiding an injury because that INT he threw didn't appear to have much velocity on it. His dad was tweeting about fans not realizing how many players play hurt. We just assumed he was talking about a concussion. I wonder if Colombi has an arm injury he's hiding from the staff.
Colombi has never had arm strength. But the velocity on his throws had diminished through the season, could have an injury. The staff would know if he was injured or not because they have eyeballs and spend alot of time with these kids. That duck he threw up in the game last week that was intercepted was pathetic and it was all he had.

Colombi has never had arm strength. But the velocity on his throws had diminished through the season, could have an injury. The staff would know if he was injured or not because they have eyeballs and spend alot of time with these kids. That duck he threw up in the game last week that was intercepted was pathetic and it was all he had.
I hadn't rewatched the game and don't plan to, but from my seats that thing appeared to just go straight up and just kind of float. Definitely looked like it died out about a yard or two short.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
For the first time during warmups this season, I paid particularly close attention to the QB’s warming up. It appeared to me that Columbi had to put his body into the 30 yard throws and the ball seemed to float without much velocity. Fancher has arm strength. With just a flip of the wrist and little effort the ball zips from his hand.

At this point, I don’t think Columbi has the arm strength to drive the ball downfield. This severely limits our play calling options. No one respects the pass. Opposing defenses give us the Cabell Midland treatment. The opposing defense loads the box and dares the offense to pass. It’s a shame that we have no passing game. We have some playmakers, but no way to get them the ball as long as Columbi is taking snaps.

I agree someone has to tell him to just start throwing… he holds the ball waaaay to long then his in panic mode.. it kinda has to go back to the basics don’t make reads just snap the ball take a step back and step and throw at this point who cares if they knock it down, just start throwing and build some rhythm and confidence. If passes start landing that will soften the linebackers and allow a better run game. But he has to just start throwing and trust that the route was ran right and he’s going to be open.. our line and QB play cannot make progress reads..

We should run a GD flea flicker and get him some confidence. The box is going to be stacked to stop the run, so give it a chance. Hell, throw a double pass like Keaton was going to throw against ND. We just aren’t going to line up and beat a team at this point, at least with no confidence at all from anyone on the offensive side of the ball.

imo HC is not an RPO QB - shot gun eyes up quick reads - under center play action 2 back - pistol no read quick throws - we need to work the middle of the field - if teams are loading the box we have to complete passes behind the backers

imo HC is not an RPO QB - shot gun eyes up quick reads - under center play action 2 back - pistol no read quick throws - we need to work the middle of the field - if teams are loading the box we have to complete passes behind the backers
Close the gap

Trust the climb. Oh, wait. That's not working out too well either.
"Row the boat"
"Tow the rope"
"We just can't flinch"

Whatever the slogan. Ever notice how teams with slogans are mediocre at best? Gimmicks are corny and shouldn't be used. You think when things are going south during games the OL are saying to one another "TRUST THE PROCESS!". You think when Stacey Marshall is wondering why he ever chose Marshall he's thinking "Close the gap!"

"Row the boat"
"Tow the rope"
"We just can't flinch"

Whatever the slogan. Ever notice how teams with slogans are mediocre at best? Gimmicks are corny and shouldn't be used. You think when things are going south during games the OL are saying to one another "TRUST THE PROCESS!". You think when Stacey Marshall is wondering why he ever chose Marshall he's thinking "Close the gap!"
I blame Greg Schiano and Rutgers having one good season for the slogan garbage... ESPN bought it and did a gameday segment about it, then suddenly every team had to have some shitty meaningless catchphrase.

#KeepChoppin

Last edited:
Years ago, Fresno State used, "shut up and hit somebody" for its defense.

"Row the boat"
"Tow the rope"
"We just can't flinch"

Bobby P was effective with the rubber band theory ……what was it? One rubber band can snap, but if you put 80 rubber bands together
they are hard to snap?
If only Sonny was still around. He was the master quip miester!!
He’s so quick, he can switch off the light and be under the covers before it gets dark!

Bobby P was effective with the rubber band theory ……what was it? One rubber band can snap, but if you put 80 rubber bands together
they are hard to snap?
If only Sonny was still around. He was the master quip miester!!
He’s so quick, he can switch off the light and be under the covers before it gets dark!
Analogies are one thing, but corny t-shirt phrases are almost always by some coach that is more personality than substance. It's like the corny corporate stuff where they bring in some fake happy person that is almost undoubtedly on some kind of drugs for "team building".

Got to say some of the problems in our passing game lie with the receivers. Very little separation by our wideouts as a whole. Don't believe we are blessed with that great amount of speed in our receiving corps also. Yet a lot lies on our QB, his arm strength, accuracy, etc., just as it lies with our porous O line in our passing blocking. Play selection/calling also questionable, and that falls on the OC, HC, etc. Plenty of blame to spread around.

Whomever is to blame, somebody "has to get that fixed", as one of our prior Coaching Failures often said, after much "deep thought"! Yep, somebody surely needs to do that, or else we could easily be staring at an egg on the face "O-fer" Inaugural Season in SBC Football!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT