ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations, West Virginia: 10 Years in a Row!

Plenty of reasons to live here. Plenty of reasons to move. Primarily depends on which part of WV you live.

I live in an upscale and growing part of the state in a home with 1 flat acre of land and a total of 7,000 sq ft between my home and 2 garages (one of which is over 2,200 sq ft itself). I have an amazing property, and the home is barely 10 years old. It’s extremely nice, and easily “forever home” material. That combination of home and land isn’t available everywhere, and if it were, would likely cost 2-3 times what I paid for it here in WV.

My wife and I have great jobs that pay very well and allow us to have nice things and travel several times throughout the year. We live a very comfortable life here.

Even in more rural parts of the state, a coal miner can make $100,000+/year easily and live very comfortably.

I would be open to moving if work required it, as would my wife. However, with our families just an hour and a half away, it would take a lot for that to happen. We have young children and our parents are getting old, and we take that into consideration.

Sometimes when we travel, we like the area so well that we begin to talk about the possibility of moving. I could live in Destin Fl, Wilmington and Charlotte NC, various parts of Tennessee, among other areas. There is certainly a lot to offer elsewhere, but the lifestyle I get to live here is very nice and fulfilling.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Plenty of reasons to live here. Plenty of reasons to move. Primarily depends on which part of WV you live.

I live in an upscale and growing part of the state in a home with 1 flat acre of land and a total of 7,000 sq ft between my home and 2 garages (one of which is over 2,200 sq ft itself). I have an amazing property, and the home is barely 10 years old. It’s extremely nice, and easily “forever home” material. That combination of home and land isn’t available everywhere, and if it were, would likely cost 2-3 times what I paid for it here in WV.

My wife and I have great jobs that pay very well and allow us to have nice things and travel several times throughout the year. We live a very comfortable life here.

Even in more rural parts of the state, a coal miner can make $100,000+/year easily and live very comfortably.

I would be open to moving if work required it, as would my wife. However, with our families just an hour and a half away, it would take a lot for that to happen. We have young children and our parents are getting old, and we take that into consideration.

Sometimes when we travel, we like the area so well that we begin to talk about the possibility of moving. I could live in Destin Fl, Wilmington and Charlotte NC, various parts of Tennessee, among other areas. There is certainly a lot to offer elsewhere, but the lifestyle I get to live here is very nice and fulfilling.
Cool now you are counting garage space toward total living sq ft. Makes sense.

With the drug crisis, low paying jobs, shitty economy, horrible school system, overall, of course, is the any reason why?

I live in the middle of a 260 acre family owned farm in a large pain in the ass log house that I'd burn to the ground if I could get away with it, and I have loved it here. Not as much now as I once did. We have one rental on the property and found out 2 days ago that it was raided by a dozen troopers at 2 a.m. about 2 weeks ago. Less than 1/2 a mile from my house. Drugs. Yeah, they've been served eviction notice.

The town I grew up in has, like so many other towns across the state, become over taken with meth and heroin. I lost my nephew last fall to an OD. shit's no fun.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the wife wanting to be near her family, I'd have moved my kids the hell out of here years ago.

The WV I grew up loving has turned into something way different.

With the drug crisis, low paying jobs, shitty economy, horrible school system, overall, of course, is the any reason why?

I live in the middle of a 260 acre family owned farm in a large pain in the ass log house that I'd burn to the ground if I could get away with it, and I have loved it here. Not as much now as I once did. We have one rental on the property and found out 2 days ago that it was raided by a dozen troopers at 2 a.m. about 2 weeks ago. Less than 1/2 a mile from my house. Drugs. Yeah, they've been served eviction notice.

The town I grew up in has, like so many other towns across the state, become over taken with meth and heroin. I lost my nephew last fall to an OD. shit's no fun.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the wife wanting to be near her family, I'd have moved my kids the hell out of here years ago.

The WV I grew up loving has turned into something way different.
It is different but the poverty has always been there. Add in poor medical services, highest rates of heart disease and diabetes in the nation. Highest percentage of people on disability and one of the highest in welfare and food stamps. Easy to understand why people who don’t have this type of lifestyle are getting the fvck out.

That's the size of Yagi's walk in closet...for his sweaters.

My neighbor just built a treehouse for his little brat. I think some of it overhangs on my property. I wonder if I can include that in my square footage. My condo has about a 40 square foot storage space in the basement. It also has about a 30 square foot storage closet on my floor. Can I include those? And what about the indoor parking spaces in the garage. If BC can include his garage(s), then I can include my parking spaces in a garage, right?

And you can go to North Dakota with a GED, work on the natural gas lines, and make $80,000+ . . . but you're still in North Dakota. The same holds true for West Virginia.

You live in WV because that's where you both grew up and where your families are, and that's fine. But if you had not grown up there/didn't have family there, it would be tied with Mississippi for last on your list of places to call home. Why? Because it's a giant turd. And it's still a turd no matter how much Mary Kay perfume you spray on it.

It is different but the poverty has always been there. Add in poor medical services, highest rates of heart disease and diabetes in the nation. Highest percentage of people on disability and one of the highest in welfare and food stamps. Easy to understand why people who don’t have this type of lifestyle are getting the fvck out.
Yeah, a lot of that has been the norm for years, but people were happy. People don't have to be rich to be happy. The growing drug epidemic that's already completely out of control makes it much more difficult to deal with the other, though.

Oddly, where and how you live are the exact opposite of the things that I think make WV cool. You live in the least scenic part of the state, with the most traffic, in between two cities with raging drug epidemics, and the economy is still crap. If I am going to put up with a crap economy and people banging smack into their veins, I am at least going to live in the middle of nowhere with a lot of land and great views. I'll give you you can get a lot of home from your money, but that's the same as here. At least our economy is decent.

Oddly, where and how you live are the exact opposite of the things that I think make WV cool. You live in the least scenic part of the state, with the most traffic, in between two cities with raging drug epidemics, and the economy is still crap. If I am going to put up with a crap economy and people banging smack into their veins, I am at least going to live in the middle of nowhere with a lot of land and great views. I'll give you you can get a lot of home from your money, but that's the same as here. At least our economy is decent.
Completely agree. The valley between Charleston and Huntington is pretty much the least desirable scenic area of the state. But hey you are allowed to include unfinished and garage space in your TLA.

Your own link, the one you're touting to bash WV (which I agree with, btw), lists ND in the top 10.

Tier Three, try to keep up. This link is a survey of residents to determine which state has the highest and lowest well-being of citizens. My commentary about which states are shit is different. A bunch of rednecks may be ecstatic to get $1500 in welfare per month and live in WV. Just because those residents are happy doesn't make the state any less of a shithole.

On another note, the battle for last place wasn't even close. In the five categories listed for this poll, West Virginia finished dead last in three of them, next to last in a fourth, and second to last in the fifth. States ranked #41 - #49 were separated by 1.6 points in the scoring. WV, the 50th ranked state, had a gap of 1.7 points from state #49. Christ, that's abysmal.

Completely agree. The valley between Charleston and Huntington is pretty much the least desirable scenic area of the state. But hey you are allowed to include unfinished and garage space in your TLA.

I said I owned 7,000 sq feet between my house and garages. I never claimed it was all living space. I can’t help it if you can’t read.

Thanks for explaining what is patently obvious.

My point is, you're taking a dig at ND, but it makes the top 10 in the same survey you're relying on to bash WV. So, either you think the survey is accurate (since you rely on it as he basis of your OP) or it's bullsh*t (which you seem to be espousing now), which means your initial premise is bullsh*t as well.

Thanks for explaining what is patently obvious.

My point is, you're taking a dig at ND, but it makes the top 10 in the same survey you're relying on to bash WV. So, either you think the survey is accurate (since you rely on it as he basis of your OP) or it's bullsh*t (which you seem to be espousing now), which means your initial premise is bullsh*t as well.

Holy shit. This is some top of the line failure in reading comprehension and logic and is a perfect example of why you have fully earned the Tier Three name.

The survey is strictly about how residents in each state feel about their lives. The polling shows that West Virginians feel the worst about themselves in those five categories. That shows that they are aware of how shitty their lives are.

My comments on West Virginia being a shithole has absolutely nothing to do with its residents realizing it is a shithole. All of the West Virginians polled could have claimed they were ecstatic to live there and ecstatic about their place in the five categories they were questioned about. Every single one of them could have had the same outlook that Big Country mentioned in this thread. That wouldn't change the fact that it is still a shithole state.

Likewise, North Dakotans finishing 10th in how they feel about their lives doesn't change the fact that it is still a shithole state.

They are two separate things. The fact that West Virginians appear to know how shitty their lives are living in that state for ten straight years is simply comical.

Sure thing, chief.

MrFantasticAd.gif

Holy shit. This is some top of the line failure in reading comprehension and logic and is a perfect example of why you have fully earned the Tier Three name.

The survey is strictly about how residents in each state feel about their lives. The polling shows that West Virginians feel the worst about themselves in those five categories. That shows that they are aware of how shitty their lives are.

My comments on West Virginia being a shithole has absolutely nothing to do with its residents realizing it is a shithole. All of the West Virginians polled could have claimed they were ecstatic to live there and ecstatic about their place in the five categories they were questioned about. Every single one of them could have had the same outlook that Big Country mentioned in this thread. That wouldn't change the fact that it is still a shithole state.

Likewise, North Dakotans finishing 10th in how they feel about their lives doesn't change the fact that it is still a shithole state.

They are two separate things. The fact that West Virginians appear to know how shitty their lives are living in that state for ten straight years is simply comical.

You seem to bust on the state a lot. The state that gave you a chance to get an education a chance to play some ball at the next level. We all helped pay for that. :) You were just good enough to come and play in the shit hole. Your are our resident Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson. Show some appreciation. I bet you had a good time in the shit hole. Without your time there you likely would not be retired now and be on the beach doing Yoga with an 18 year old.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
That is a pretty large gap between your house and garages.

There actually is about a quarter acre between my house and one of my garages. The other is an attached garage to my house. The big one, though, sits out by itself and is the size of a house.

There actually is about a quarter acre between my house and one of my garages. The other is an attached garage to my house. The big one, though, sits out by itself and is the size of a house.
Yes you will want to count your yard as TLA too.

The big one, though, sits out by itself and is the size of a house.

Well aren't you special. That's the norm out in the country here, where most people have pole barns as a garage.

The real question is: what is in your garage? Anything cool? If not, quit being boring and buy something cool.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT