ADVERTISEMENT

Daily News Record (covers JMU): Want realignment answers? First, let's ask the right questions

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
Interesting piece here.

Couple takeaways:

* Writer claims the SBC told JMU and App State they were were by far the most visible and valuable brands in the Sun Belt.
* If Memphis and Tulane leave the AAC the SBC's leadership is poised to make a push to move the SBC up the G5 food chain.
* ECU is a top target and would listen if the tv money worked out (or dried up with the AAC).
* UTSA, South Florida and UAB mentioned as other SBC expansion targets from the AAC.

It’s crazy how far we’ve fallen. 10-15 years ago no one would’ve ever wanted App State or JMU over us.

Except MU got selected to join the premiere G5 conference...to add to the brand established by one of the teams you mentioned...🙄🙄🙄

If you really want to just dwell on life 15 years ago, log off of here.

Except MU got selected to join the premiere G5 conference...to add to the brand established by one of the teams you mentioned...🙄🙄🙄

So expressing disappointment in not even being on the same level as our conference mates (JMU and App) is dwelling on life 15 years ago?

Reactions: 19MU88
Interesting piece here.

Couple takeaways:

* Writer claims the SBC told JMU and App State they were were by far the most visible and valuable brands in the Sun Belt.

Already having a nice discussion about this on the Sunbelt board. No one, including myself, is buying it.

According to the author:

I'm going to get more in depth on that in another article, but the Sun Belt presented a very detailed report on this with data it got from a third-party firm. The total media value of the conference -- looking at all platforms -- was $892 milllion. Almost a quarter of that was JMU and App, both with valuations more than $100 million. There wasn't another school at more than $73 million.
Which I responded:

Based on? What ESPN value? Potential value? You are not telling me much. All platforms meaning?
I have a hard time seeing that any one media outlet will give JMU,App, or anyone in the Sunbelt 100m a year.

From SI: Notre Dame currently receives around $26 million annually from a combination of its TV revenue from NBC and its ACC agreement.

He is basing it on:

Based on a lot of different factors. Essentially the value of the media exposure generated by each football program and Sun Belt football as a league. There is a formula that factors in viewership of live games, other coverage on TV, coverage online and in print, social media, etc.

15 years ago I was 7 and had no bills, so yes please.

Also, 15 years ago, App State nor JMU were FBS, so being mentioned as lower than them is embarassing

So expressing disappointment in not even being on the same level as our conference mates (JMU and App) is dwelling on life 15 years ago?

Ole Gill is crying about how JMU and App State were somehow below MU 15 years ago. He was probably right...15 years ago.

MU was never going to remain on top forever, given the leadership in all facets, the economy of the city/state, and the landscape of college football...it was inevitable MU would bow out. Plenty of teams will not be relevant by their standards in, not even 5 years from now.
He makes it as some sort of catastrophe, I see it as a shift in the dynamics of the sport and college in general.
Can MU come back?
Sure. Just apply it to now and not 15 years ago.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
15 years ago I was 7 and had no bills, so yes please.

Also, 15 years ago, App State nor JMU were FBS, so being mentioned as lower than them is embarassing

It does suck. We went from “We play for chips’” to a 6-6 season is unacceptable tweet. If those who built the program and started winning big had NIL it is hard to tell where MU would be.

Those guys didn’t make excuses. They built stadiums, bent the rules and WON. They wouldn’t have been whining and making excuses.

Rant over

It does suck. We went from “We play for chips’” to a 6-6 season is unacceptable tweet. If those who built the program and started winning big had NIL it is hard to tell where MU would be.

Those guys didn’t make excuses. They built stadiums, bent the rules and WON. They wouldn’t have been whining and making excuses.

Rant over
Give me a rule bending coach who makes us win. Who cares what other people think of us. Winning cures all

Reactions: MUMAN3419
JMU is trying to convert from a I-AA power to a good story in I-A. Something only one school has ever done. Marshall.

Can JMU follow in our footsteps? Sure. But it takes a lot of skill and courage. The main difference is that JMU has a very wealthy state to draw upon for its mega-subsidized sports program.

ASU is a nice school in a pretty part of the country, and is a nice second choice for kids UNC and NCSU turned down. Probably, in lifestyle terms, the best choice. But that is all it is.
* If Memphis and Tulane leave the AAC the SBC's leadership is poised to make a push to move the SBC up the G5 food chain.
Since the SBC is already the top conference in the Group of Six, that will be hard to do. The AAC is a joke.
* ECU is a top target and would listen if the tv money worked out (or dried up with the AAC).
ECU never belonged in the AAC. The AAC is based on a basic lie. Being IN a big city is the same as being SIGNIFICANT IN a big city. This just isn't true, but whatever, ECU isn't in a big city in the first place. It is much more of a fit in the SBC.

But ECU has the worst case of "little brother" I have ever seen. No matter what they do, all their fans can think about is UNC and NCSU. They will never understand that they are never going to get in the ACC, and that 20 or 30 miles from Greenville, the unwashed locals that never darkened the door of any college are going to be wearing baby blue, even if UNC is 3-9 and ECU is 10-2.
* UTSA, South Florida and UAB mentioned as other SBC expansion targets from the AAC
UTSA. Pass. Classic AAC school. In a city. Insignificant in said city.
USF. Same.
UAB. After Auburn and Alabama suck 99.999999% of all the possible college football fandom energy out of the state of Alabama, you really want to fight USA, Jacksonville State, and the HBCUs for the remainder? Pass.

MU was never going to remain on top forever, given the leadership in all facets, the economy of the city/state, and the landscape of college football...it was inevitable MU would bow out.
Great excuse making. Winners win. Losers make excuses. MU's rise from ashes to glory was fueled by 100s of people, from great coaches and administrators, to ordinary fans and students that would not let this program die and wanted to see it grow.

It was killed by KO Marcum. There was nothing "inevitable" about any of it. Don't hire Marcum and Snyder and continue to win as before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT