ADVERTISEMENT

Dan D’Antoni appointed as Marshall ambassador and technical advisor

Dec 12, 2023
You can read the press release at the below link.

Some interesting information in the release about Dan working with Corny. I thought most new coaches would be running the program? Did Doc work with Huff during the transition?

"An avid supporter of new Men’s Basketball Head Coach Cornelius Jackson, D’Antoni will work under Corny’s direction to create a smooth transition."

Last edited:
You can read the press release at the below link.

Some interesting information in the release about Dan working with Corny. I thought most new coaches would be running the program? Did Doc work with Huff during the transition?

"An avid supporter of new Men’s Basketball Head Coach Cornelius Jackson, D’Antoni will work under Corny’s direction to create a smooth transition."
I highly doubt DD held back his best nuggets of wisdom ……

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
This makes a lot of sense actually... On multiple fronts...

DD had two years left on his deal, rather than do a buyout give him an "advisory" role where he can shake hands with boosters and still be around the program while making some form of a salary.

Speaking of boosters, DD has his wealthy supporters and ties to the BOG so this hopefully appeases them.

He is still a "Marshall guy" and this makes Spears and the rest of the people who knew he needed to be out as head coach feel better about it.

DD had two years left on his deal, rather than do a buyout give him an "advisory" role where he can shake hands with boosters and still be around the program while making some form of a salary.

Speaking of boosters, DD has his wealthy supporters and ties to the BOG so this hopefully appeases them.

He is still a "Marshall guy" and this makes Spears and the rest of the people who knew he needed to be out as head coach feel better about it.
I agree, good move! I've always liked Dan since he was a player for us but as a coach he was drowning and taking us under with him!

Dan did not have a buyout tied to the last two years of his contract.

Also, when he was fired he originally said no to this role. Being emotional after getting let go is understandable, so I hope he's actually come around on the idea and isn't just looking to collect a paycheck. I have my doubts.

I honestly don't like him still having a hand in the basketball program. His way of building a roster is archaic and his lack of focus & detail to defense was bad.

I get him in a fundraising role. But it is time to move on from him in basketball. This type of thinking is getting real old.
He wont be involved with the BB program. His involvement will be sitting in the stands and waving at all the other blue hairs in attendance.

Dan did not have a buyout tied to the last two years of his contract.

Also, when he was fired he originally said no to this role. Being emotional after getting let go is understandable, so I hope he's actually come around on the idea and isn't just looking to collect a paycheck. I have my doubts.

This is what has me concerned. DD would be a great Ambassador for the School, but he does not need to be undermining Corny's job as HC. I hope I am way off base on this.

My concern as well.....marginal effort with little results smells like a Hamrick severance scheme. Hope Im wrong.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yeah, we paid Hamrick after he was let go. Does anyone know what he actually did or accomplished in that extra time?

Just fire Dan Dan and say goodbye! He has sucked as a recruiter, a decision maker, winner, fashion designer, post game speaker and Head Coach!!!

He is no legend when it comes to Coaching at Marshall, he or “Jon and Penava” got us a championship and won a game in the first round of the big dance, that is it.. like Cato got Doc a championship!

YOUR FIRED!

Just fire Dan Dan and say goodbye! He has sucked as a recruiter, a decision maker, winner, fashion designer, post game speaker and Head Coach!!!

He is no legend when it comes to Coaching at Marshall, he or “Jon and Penava” got us a championship and won a game in the first round of the big dance, that is it.. like Cato got Doc a championship!

YOUR FIRED!
C’mon ghogh2 : let’s balance those negatives with a positive:
He excelled at sucking money from his Alma mater! 😂

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I don't like this. If he's working with Corny in any capacity he's going to have influence on him. He needs to be distanced from the program. I'm good with him moving to a fund raising role and helping that way. I just don't want him around the actual team.

My best analogy:

It’s like playing golf with your Dad. He (very often!) gives unsolicited advice! Very
distracting, to the point that you tell him:
“No advice on the course!”
Doesn’t matter. He can’t help himself……

Yeah, we paid Hamrick after he was let go. Does anyone know what he actually did or accomplished in that extra time?

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

I don't think he did squat to be honest
I doubt he did. Gilbert kept him on as a middle finger to the BOD. Both were on their way out, I doubt either one did much of anything as lame duck employees being sent packing. Maybe some of you guys are different and would have given all to the employer that just shit canned you.

I doubt he did. Gilbert kept him on as a middle finger to the BOD. Both were on their way out, I doubt either one did much of anything as lame duck employees being sent packing. Maybe some of you guys are different and would have given all to the employer that just shit canned you.
If certain expectations were outlined as a condition of that employment, yeah, I would have worked to get those done. But, I am not one to sit on my ass and twiddle my thumbs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT