ADVERTISEMENT

Defamation: Another Kid About To Get Paid, Deadspin edition

SamSwimmer

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 16, 2015
If you thought Deadspin died a long time ago, you're not alone. That might change shortly though. One of their writers saw a kid with his face painted in team colors & wearing a headdress & did what media does, zero research & instantly smears a child as racist. Not only toward Indians but blacks as well. When called on it, the author doubled down. This wasn't some kid wanting to support his team, it was a blatant example of racism, cultural appropriation, & white privilege.

Turns out, the kid has legit Indian heritage & just wants to support this team. There's pics of the kid dressed up with players, players doing the chop with him from the sidelines, & cheerleaders interacting with him. It's just a kid who loves the team.

Doesn't sound like the mom is too happy this is happening & I don't blame her. Sounds like that kid might be able to afford a skybox in the coming seasons...

Reactions: GeauxHerd and 30CAT
Oh **** deadspin. It’s one thing to be wrong but to be so aggressively wrong is another.

Here’s the comment from deadspin:

“Updated Nov. 30: Per Front Office Sports, the Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians, whom the fan and his family are affiliated with, have released a statement condemning the “wearing regalia as part of a costume or participating in any other type of cultural appropriation.” Here’s the full statement:”

Now let’s find that condemnation.

“We are aware that a young member of our community attended a Kansas City Chiefs game in a headdress and face paint in his way of supporting his favorite team. Please keep in mind that the decisions made by individuals or families in our community are their own and may not reflect the views of the broader tribal community. As a federally recognized tribe, the Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians does not endorse wearing regalia as part of a costume or participating in any other type of cultural appropriation.”

The gall required to say “condemn” and then run that as the quote right under it is pretty impressive.

kid has legit Indian heritage
hell, i have legit indian heritage . . . in addition to african, red-dot indian, italian, russian, german, french, swiss, et.al. heritage. so says my ancestry dna results.

Does your grandfather sit on a tribal board?

Deadspin is also the publication that ripped Mike McDaniel for getting the Dolphins’ job because he’s “young & white.” Mike is biracial (his dad is black)

Did a human even write the article? Last I heard Deadspin was all AI lol.

Yes, I know AI is garbage in, garbage out. But AI ain't journalism.
You might be thinking of Sports Illustrated. Fat bikini models & AI articles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT