ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Backfield

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
We are coming off a year where we lost Micah Abraham and Dyoni Hill.

Abraham was a big loss, and Hill really came on late. So what are we replacing them with?

The secondary has a lot of pieces with a lot of experience.

At corner, we return the following

Jacobie Henderson - 22 tackles and four pass breakups
Josh Moten - 30 tackles, 1 interception and 6 pass break ups

At safety/nickel we return the following

JJ Roberts - second on the team in tackles with 73, also had two interceptions
AG McGhee - started a lot of games the back half of the season, ended the year with 46 tackles and an interception
Ahmere Foster - like McGhee was forced into quite a few starts late in the year. Ended the year with 28 tackles and an interception
Jadarius Green- McKnight - played a lot of special teams, didnt play much at safety but definitely has the ability to make an impact. Did have 25 tackles in 2022
Daytione Smith - Smith was hurt most of the year but still was able to make 11 tackles in limited playing time. Had 18 tackles and played in 10 games in 2022.

Other Db's on campus are:

Ishmael Ibraheem - Transfer from Texas last year
Ian Foster
Jordan Reagan - Transfer this year from Oklahoma State, probably one of the biggest corners on the team

I think when it is all said and done we will probably see the corners end up being Moten and Henderson. The safety position is loaded right now. And that isnt Aaron talk, that is fact. These guys had a ton of playing time last year due to injuries. I could see a combination of Roberts, McGhee and Green-McKnight playing safety and nickel. There will be a lot of interchangeable parts on the back side of this defense. And it wont be the case of not being able to figure out who is good. They are all good.

I expect this to be one of the strengths of our defense this coming season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.