ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Va Tech

Interesting post game presser from Huff - rough guess he uses "drop / drops / droppped" 10+ times.

I’ll posit an opinion - Rifle is a thread -baiting jerk who loves nothing more than getting someone going and egging them on into futility. If everyone just stopped responding, this forum would be a happier place!

I’ll posit an opinion - Rifle is a thread -baiting jerk who loves nothing more than getting someone going and egging them on into futility. If everyone just stopped responding, this forum would be a happier place!
You are right, I shouldn't have fallen for it. But he's good at it.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I was never trying to compare Wells/Litton with Cato so i'm not sure where "you won't compare stats".
I'm not sure how I can explain your intellectual dishonesty any easier, so I will use numbers this time:

1) You used a stat (QBR) as support for your argument Stone is bad.
2) You claimed that Marshall hasn't had good QB since Cato.
3) I showed numerous major stats showing that, as freshman, Wells and Litton were on par with Cato when he was a senior.

So if you want to use major stats (after just two games) to claim that Stone is bad, you have to be open to using major stats showing that other Marshall QBs were as good as freshman as Cato was as a senior.

It being a continuation of last season was in reference to you saying this started in week on this year. Then you got bent out of shape and decided to tell Marshall fans how bad we are.

I'm not sure I got "bent out of shape" anywhere in this thread other than having to contort to see which way you would change your argument next.

Marshall fans, including on this board, were awful to Fancher. Calling him "trash," saying "he is shit," saying you hope he transfers, etc. is not being a Marshall fans. Sending those things to him on social media and posting them on Twitter is the same.

Our coach told us that we are the problem last year and that we forced a kid to transfer by making his life "miserable" because we thought the backup should get a chance.
Why lie? That's not why Huff made his comment. It's not why I and others have called out those people on here. Claiming you just "thought the backup should get a chance" is about as dishonest as the straw man you got called out for earlier. It's about as dishonest as claiming that all of his throws were jump balls.

One last note, I have not seen anyone on this board (or in person) attack Earle personally. The only thing we have said is that we would like to see what Braxton has. If that is being a bad fan then I'm a bad fan.
Nobody said anything about that, but again, it goes back to struggling with reading comprehension.

You are right, I shouldn't have fallen for it. But he's good at it.
So you lied when you posted this in an earlier post, huh?

This thread has gone on too long so this is my last post in it. I'm tired as a Marshall fan of being told I'm the problem.

You're about as good at arguing honestly and keeping your word as you are at discussing quarterback play.

Day-by-day, you sound more and more like a giant crybaby. I thought you said you were r-e-t-i-r-e-d, but you clearly meant r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Quarterbacks dive head first for first downs in that situation every week.

It’s about having awareness of the situation.
And here is perfect and timely proof what I mean:

So, how does Utah’s head coach — after many pleas for Rising to stay healthy — grade the quarterback’s efforts to protect himself?

Has he done everything he can to avoid unnecessary hits?

“Not everything,” Whittingham said. “But, that’s who he is. He’s so competitive. He’s a fierce competitor. ... We’d like to see him be even more cautious and cognizant of staying out of harm’s way. But, again, it’s hard when you got a guy that’s that competitive.”
His extra effort resulted in Baylor defensive lineman Trevan Ma’ae walloping him into Baylor’s sideline water coolers, which injured two fingers on his right hand and kept him out for the rest of the contest.

It wasn’t the first time Rising has put himself in harm’s way this season.

During Utah’s contest against Southern Utah two weeks ago, Rising absorbed several hits while scrambling late in the second quarter.

“I’m not fired up about it,” Ludwig said last week of Rising taking those hits. “He’s got to hook, slide and protect himself. We always talk about protecting the ball, protect the team and the quarterback.

“We don’t want to lose that position. But the other end of that spectrum would be that he gained a lot of confidence taking those hits and popping back up. But we’re going to try to minimize those. He wants to be here for the long haul. So, I anticipate seeing improvement with that in terms of protecting himself.”

I'm not sure how I can explain your intellectual dishonesty any easier, so I will use numbers this time:

1) You used a stat (QBR) as support for your argument Stone is bad.
2) You claimed that Marshall hasn't had good QB since Cato.
3) I showed numerous major stats showing that, as freshman, Wells and Litton were on par with Cato when he was a senior.
1. I used QBR to show that both Earle and Fancher seem to be the same level QB at least this season.
2. Marshall hasn't had a good QB since Cato.
3. If you think Wells and Litton were as good as Cato as Freshmen then say it. But I don't think they were.
Marshall fans, including on this board, were awful to Fancher. Calling him "trash," saying "he is shit," saying you hope he transfers, etc. is not being a Marshall fans. Sending those things to him on social media and posting them on Twitter is the same.
People who attacked him personally or sent him messages on social media should not have done so. That's out of bounds and I said last year, even though I wanted to see someone else and that I didn't think he was the guy, that doesn't mean he should be personally attacked. There were others both irl and on this board who echoed the same thing.
Why lie? That's not why Huff made his comment. It's not why I and others have called out those people on here. Claiming you just "thought the backup should get a chance" is about as dishonest as the straw man you got called out for earlier. It's about as dishonest as claiming that all of his throws were jump balls.
Why did Huff make his comment? I absolutely thought the backup deserved a chance and think so again this year. I didn't think that Fancher was a bad guy, I didn't think he deserved to be personally attacked. Then there was the report that Fancher's family came out and said it wasn't true. I'm sure people messaged him and I'm sure they got personal when they shouldn't have. I would also assume that happens in almost every college football town in America. It doesn't make it right, but it happens.
Nobody said anything about that, but again, it goes back to struggling with reading comprehension.
1. "Fans were horrible to Fancher"
2. "Fans have been horrible to all the QBS we've had since Cato"
3. "Fans have started it again (and then you said it never stopped) week 1 this year with Earle"

You are insinuating that fans are doing the same things to Earle as they did to Fancher. That is why I said what I said. Sorry, I know you don't like to listen.

And here is perfect and timely proof what I mean:

So, how does Utah’s head coach — after many pleas for Rising to stay healthy — grade the quarterback’s efforts to protect himself?

Has he done everything he can to avoid unnecessary hits?

“Not everything,” Whittingham said. “But, that’s who he is. He’s so competitive. He’s a fierce competitor. ... We’d like to see him be even more cautious and cognizant of staying out of harm’s way. But, again, it’s hard when you got a guy that’s that competitive.”
His extra effort resulted in Baylor defensive lineman Trevan Ma’ae walloping him into Baylor’s sideline water coolers, which injured two fingers on his right hand and kept him out for the rest of the contest.

It wasn’t the first time Rising has put himself in harm’s way this season.

During Utah’s contest against Southern Utah two weeks ago, Rising absorbed several hits while scrambling late in the second quarter.

“I’m not fired up about it,” Ludwig said last week of Rising taking those hits. “He’s got to hook, slide and protect himself. We always talk about protecting the ball, protect the team and the quarterback.

“We don’t want to lose that position. But the other end of that spectrum would be that he gained a lot of confidence taking those hits and popping back up. But we’re going to try to minimize those. He wants to be here for the long haul. So, I anticipate seeing improvement with that in terms of protecting himself.”

Do you happen to know the situation in which Rising was hurt?

2nd quarter. Utah up 23-0, he rolls out and gets caught up and can't throw the ball away. Not fighting for extra yards, not a 3rd down and short late in the game and he slides short of the sticks. Not someone trying to win the game. 23-0, second quarter.

So yeah, I think if he had been going for a first down late in a game with the game on the line the coach would have been ok with it.

redsfan5590 said:
This thread has gone on too long so this is my last post in it. I'm tired as a Marshall fan of being told I'm the problem.

Lying again, huh?

1. I used QBR to show that both Earle and Fancher seem to be the same level QB at least this season.
2. Marshall hasn't had a good QB since Cato.
3. If you think Wells and Litton were as good as Cato as Freshmen then say it. But I don't think they were.
So you didn't answer. Brilliant.

You're the one who used a stat as argument about comparing quarterbacks. I did the same to rebut your claim, yet you don't accept it even though you did the same exact thing. Intellectual dishonesty.

People who attacked him personally or sent him messages on social media should not have done so. That's out of bounds and I said last year, even though I wanted to see someone else and that I didn't think he was the guy, that doesn't mean he should be personally attacked. There were others both irl and on this board who echoed the same thing.
So then why lie and claim that it was just fans wanting to see the backup play? You know that wasn't the issue with the comments regarding Fancher. If you know it was far different, why claim it was just fans wanting the backup? You know that wasn't the issue. Dishonesty.

Do you happen to know the situation in which Rising was hurt?

Considering that I own property about two miles from Utah's campus, that I know Andy Ludwig, and that I lived in SLC for a couple of years and went to many Utah games, I think I am quite familiar with all of Cam's injuries.

2nd quarter. Utah up 23-0, he rolls out and gets caught up and can't throw the ball away. Not fighting for extra yards, not a 3rd down and short late in the game and he slides short of the sticks. Not someone trying to win the game. 23-0, second quarter.

So yeah, I think if he had been going for a first down late in a game with the game on the line the coach would have been ok with it.
They were both three possession games. A three-possession game in the second quarter is more likely to go either way than a three-possession game with eight minutes left in the game. The point, which I know you will not understand, is that this is yet another scenario where a QB has repeatedly been told to not take a hit, get down, etc. It's why it's reasonable for a QB to default to that when that is all he has ever been told to do and practice.

Lying again, huh?

So you didn't answer. Brilliant.

You're the one who used a stat as argument about comparing quarterbacks. I did the same to rebut your claim, yet you don't accept it even though you did the same exact thing. Intellectual dishonesty.

So then why lie and claim that it was just fans wanting to see the backup play? You know that wasn't the issue with the comments regarding Fancher. If you know it was far different, why claim it was just fans wanting the backup? You know that wasn't the issue. Dishonesty.

Considering that I own property about two miles from Utah's campus, that I know Andy Ludwig, and that I lived in SLC for a couple of years and went to many Utah games, I think I am quite familiar with all of Cam's injuries.

They were both three possession games. A three-possession game in the second quarter is more likely to go either way than a three-possession game with eight minutes left in the game. The point, which I know you will not understand, is that this is yet another scenario where a QB has repeatedly been told to not take a hit, get down, etc. It's why it's reasonable for a QB to default to that when that is all he has ever been told to do and practice.
You’re the living embodiment if 3-year letterman. The problem is he’s in on the joke and you’re just genuinely an arrogant… person :)

Anyways, this is beyond a waste of my time at this point. I hope in the future our QB won’t slide in that situation (but honestly I’d rather just have an offense that can move the ball). Hopefully our offense doesn’t continue to look the way it did last year. And hopefully, our QB doesn’t rank in the bottom 3rd of FBS schools again.

Oh and AJ Turner needs to be the starting RB too. ✌️

You’re the living embodiment if 3-year letterman. The problem is he’s in on the joke and you’re just genuinely an arrogant… person :)

Anyways, this is beyond a waste of my time at this point. I hope in the future our QB won’t slide in that situation (but honestly I’d rather just have an offense that can move the ball). Hopefully our offense doesn’t continue to look the way it did last year. And hopefully, our QB doesn’t rank in the bottom 3rd of FBS schools again.

Oh and AJ Turner needs to be the starting RB too. ✌️
Tuner might be going forward. Huff said that he broke his hand in the first game and had surgery Tuesday to fix it and is 100% now.

Reactions: redsfan5590
You mean there was an actual reason why Turner didn’t get more carries Saturday and it wasn’t just the coaches decided to run other guys instead?? Say it ain’t so!!!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

So now you're resorting to fabricating outright lies, attributing those lies to me, and then arguing against them. That's the textbook definition of a straw man argument. I've said nothing even close to what you just claimed.

Don't confuse me exposing your arguments for being incorrect as me defending Stone as being a great QB through two games.

Ok, you want to base an opinion on statistics over two games (remember that for later in this post).

Continuation from last season? What world do you live in? This has been the m.o. of Marshall fans on here for many, many years.

2016: Litton sucks, fire Bill Legg
2017: Litton sucks, fire Bill Legg
2018: Alex Thomson sucks, this Cramsey guy is overrated; Isaiah Green sucks
2019: Isaiah Green sucks, fire Tim Cramsey
2020: Grant Wells sucks, fire Tim Cramsey
2021: Grant Wells sucks and throws too many INTs now, why did Huff retain Cramsey? Fire Cramsey.
2022: Zamora sucks, Colombi got lucky against ND and sucks; Fancher sucks; fire Trickett
2023: Fancher sucks; we want Pennington; fire Trickett; Pennington sucks
2024 (after one game): This Stone guy and the two backups are all much better than Fancher.
2024 (after two games) Stone sucks, he is only one spot higher than Fancher in a statistic; this OC is a fraud since this isn't air-raid; we want the other two QBs.

Frustration from last season? This coaching staff? You all have done this for nearly a decade regardless of the quarterback or the coaching staff. The only difference year-to-year is that Cramsey, Litton, Doc, Thomson, Wells, Zamora, Colombi, Trickett, and Pennington seem to have gotten a little longer rope than Isaiah Green, Fancher, and Huff.

So you want to use stats of two games to support your stance on Stone, yet you ignore stats on these other QBs who you claim weren't good.

As a freshman, Litton threw for only 30 yards per game fewer than Cato in his senior year. As a freshman, Litton had a 3/1 TD/INT ratio just like Cato in his senior year. As a freshman, Litton's completion percentage was 60%, while Cato's was 59% as a senior.

Based on statistics, Litton's freshman season was just about equal with Cato's senior year, yet Cato was good and Litton wasn't according to you.

Want more?

As a freshman, Grant Wells:
272 yards per game
66%
7.9 yards per attempt
1 INT every 34.2 attempts

As a senior, Cato:
279 yards per game
59%
8.7 yards per attempt
1 INT every 34.7 attempts

So even though their stats were very similar, Wells wasn't good as a freshman but Cato was good as a senior.

Your claim simply doesn't add up. And it's not just you. For nearly a decade, this board has railed against the QB first, then the OC, then. eventually the head coach whenever Marshall doesn't go 13-1, even when their arguments don't hold up.
Cato senior, just under 500 rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs. 155.4 passer rating. 40 passing TDs.

Wells freshman, 174 rushing yards with 2 rushing TDs, 141 passer rating, 18 passing TDs.

On another note, you cited Wells yards per game from his soph year. Wells threw for just under 2,100 yards his fr year, 209 yards per game. He completed 61% his fr year, 66% his soph year. You want to use his soph stats, call them fr stats and ignore his soph 16TD/13INT performance.

Cato accounted for 48 TDs his senior year even with a 1,900 yard running back. His 40 passing TDs that season were only 8 less than Wells had for his 4 year career.

Litton’s fr year was the easiest schedule Marshall has played since joining 1-A in 1997. It ranked in the 130s when there was only 128 FBS team.

You know enough about the game to know you are peddling BS through the process of statistical manipulation. Cato was highly productive with his yards and opportunities. It’s why we scored over 40 points in 11 games that season. Cato threw one less TD in 14 games than Litton and Wells did combined in their 22 starts their fr years.

Reactions: redsfan5590
Cato senior, just under 500 rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs. 155.4 passer rating. 40 passing TDs.

Wells freshman, 174 rushing yards with 2 rushing TDs, 141 passer rating, 18 passing TDs.

On another note, you cited Wells yards per game from his soph year. Wells threw for just under 2,100 yards his fr year, 209 yards per game. He completed 61% his fr year, 66% his soph year. You want to use his soph stats, call them fr stats and ignore his soph 16TD/13INT performance.

Cato accounted for 48 TDs his senior year even with a 1,900 yard running back. His 40 passing TDs that season were only 8 less than Wells had for his 4 year career.

Litton’s fr year was the easiest schedule Marshall has played since joining 1-A in 1997. It ranked in the 130s when there was only 128 FBS team.

You know enough about the game to know you are peddling BS through the process of statistical manipulation. Cato was highly productive with his yards and opportunities. It’s why we scored over 40 points in 11 games that season. Cato threw one less TD in 14 games than Litton and Wells did combined in their 22 starts their fr years.
He knows; he just loves to bait….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT