ADVERTISEMENT

Destin/Panama City Beach

Raoul Duke MU

Doctor of Journalism
I'm headed to that area in July. Will be technically staying in PCB but I am not in the downtown tourist area.

What are some things I must do? Keep in mind I am not a white trash tourist, I am not going to tourist traps. Places to eat? Anyone ever do any kayaking around there?

I just got back from there Tuesday. I was only there for two nights and ate all of my lunches/dinners at Whole Foods and Publix, so I am not much help for food. The realtor pointed out Sharky's to me, which is on the water and right down the street from the shopping district, and she said it was very popular. Each time I drove past it, there were many people outside waiting.

Don't laugh, but Publix has some of the best subs I have ever had. They are phenomenal. I have one right across from my place on the Atlantic and ate there almost daily. I recommend getting one for lunch.

While in PCB, I highly recommend going to Shell Island. I mentioned it on here about a month ago since there is some rare property available on it. It is actually a barrier peninsula that is accessible only by boat. There are a few ferry companies that will take you there and back for about $20/roundtrip. It's a beautiful beach that will give you a ton of privacy. At one point, I walked 50 minutes along the water without passing a single person other than people on boats. If you walk it long enough, different parts of the water will change from a pretty emerald green color to crystal clear turquoise. I can email you a thirty second, 360 degree video I took from the land I put an offer on so that you can see how desolate it is there (if you walk far enough from where the ferries drop people off). There is nothing out there, so if you plan on being there for a while, you will need to bring sunscreen, water, snacks, etc. If you pay attention, you'll also see a bunch of dolphins.

At the end of the day, I saw two boats that morons had gotten stuck. When it switched to low tide, the boats they had put on land filled with sand. One guy had sea-tow out there drying to suck the water out of his boat so he could get it back in the water, but it looked like a lost cause:

pNArHwO.jpg

The other thing I highly recommend is driving scenic highway 30A from PCB to Destin. It is about a 50 minute drive but well worth it. There is a much faster route that connects the two cities, but taking 30A will give you a great experience.

I was feeling like a king after making a decision on a beach condo and the land on Shell Island. But driving through some of these small, luxury beach towns on 30A quickly got me depressed. Below are some of the small, planned towns you will go through.

Alys Beach: Coastal Living magazine named it one of the top 20 places in the country to live last year. It's mind-blowingly pretty, amazingly well done, and has only been around for a couple of years (still being developed). The whole Emerald Coast is high money, but Alys Beach may take the cake in luxury of the entire region. It is like driving through parts of Europe.

https://30a.com/alys-beach/

You'll also pass through Rosemary Beach which seemed like it was out of a movie with the enormous number of people of all ages riding bikes, the number of families out walking, and the popularity of the town center area:

https://www.coastalliving.com/homes/idea-houses/rosemary-beach-florida

You will also go through WaterSound Beach Peninsula, Seaside, and Sandestin/Miramar Beach before reaching Destin. Every single one of those villages is breathtaking with the houses and public spaces they have built.

Taking that drive was the best part of my time there.

Locally, Captain Andersons is one of the top seafood restaurants in the south, and they also have a mini-me place right beside the huge restaurant. Personally, I like Shuckers, which is across from Aqua Resort, on Front Beach Road, on the West side of PCB close to Pier Park. Locals go there, with a mix of tourists. Always go where the locals hang out.

There's a few breweries, and like Rifle stated, 30A is a great drive, with some great local dives. Just be careful along your drive, and don't be too high, as you can easily run over a bicyclist.

Heading east on old 98, Apalachicola is an awesome place to sit down and drink beers and eat oysters. St. George Island isn't far from there, and is an awesome place. It's a state park, so you have to pay a fee, but it's worth it if you're into a more private beach experience.

All told, if you're in PCB, it's going to be tough to avoid the white trash tourists. They don't call it L.A. for no apparent reason.

Bucky can probably provide you with many additional options, as he's in the 30A area.

If you go to Pensacola to the Naval Air Museum - well worth the drive btw - go to McGuire's Irish Pub. It's touristy b/c of it's popularity, but the food and drinks are great. Appalachicola is also worth the drive in the other direction. Several tiny oyster shacks where you will eat the best tasting oysters in the world, imho.

2 more things from trips there about 10 years ago:
Check out Seaside - quaint little beach town a couple of miles away from Destin. Also, if it is still there, Elmo’s for some fresh seafood....white sand & blue/green water!!

Heading there in a few weeks, staying in Santa Rosa. We've never been to that area but looking forward to it. Crab Island looks pretty cool but I'm sure it will be crowded. Heard nothing but great things about the entire area. Watercolor is where the Truman Show was filmed - or so they say.

Destin is the best place in Florida, hands down. My wife and I love it. When are you going, Raoul? We are flying down the last 4-5 days of July.

If you do nothing else, eat at McGuire’s Irish Pub. It’s a very popular Irish themed steakhouse. Has some of the best steak I’ve ever had, and the atmosphere there is great.

Dewey Destin is a great restaurant too. So is Harry T’s. We also like Crab Trap, Pompano Joe’s, The Back Porch, Donut Hole (best breakfast place in town), and Rum Runners is good. There are several others that I can’t think of off the top of my head.

Destin Harbour Boardwalk is cool, also called Harbourwalk Village. It’s a popular hangout, especially in the evenings. I believe it’s right across the street from McGuire’s. Harry T’s is also located there.

There are plenty of shops and outlets at every turn. Destin Commons is very popular. Baytowne Wharf is cool too. Rum Runners is there. They have dueling pianos and that’s pretty fun to watch. You won’t be bored.

If you like the beach, you’ll fall in love with Destin. The sand is so white that it looks like sugar. The water is so blue it’s ridiculous. You’ll never want to go to the Atlantic Ocean again after seeing the gulf side of Florida. Ditto Panama City Beach. Just phenomenal.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Oh yeah...Flora-Bama isn’t terribly far from Destin. You’d love that place. And if you venture over into Alabama, go to Lambert’s. Their schtick is that they throw dinner rolls. It’s cool to experience.

Big country nailed all the touristy places to go. Some places in 30A that are locals seafood type of restaurants serving local seafood are Louis Louis, The Bay and The Red Bar. These places serve variety of snapper (depending on the the season) grouper and cobia. Shrimp and grits are decent around here too. Most of the touristy places buy non local fish and have stuff on the menus like crab legs, not local but comes in frozen and is cheap. We have some pretty decent sushi restaurants in the area too, some have local tuna most do not.

Destin has the largest offshore sports fisherman for hire fleet in the nation. I highly recommend going on a private boat and doing some fishing. Red snapper season which is what our waters are known for runs through the third week of July. Other big seasons are cobia and grouper. Tuna is big farther offshore around oil rigs etc. those are long trips and expensive.
If you are into parasailing these guys are everywhere and will pull right up to you on the beach when you flag them down. Sailing a couple hundred feet above the blue water is pretty amazing.
Crab island is a big hang out in Destin for both locals and tourist. Gets incredibly crowded and just about everyone is completely drunk out of their mind. Creates a challenge for moving boats around with thousands of people in the water. Coast guard and local authorities are all over the place. I stay away from there. I prefer not to fvck my boat up and not to run over some drunk who has drifted off from everyone else.

If you are interested in fishing out of Destin the Makaira is the best boat in the fleet and the best captain in the gulf.

https://destinsbestfishing.com/

Last edited:
Oh yeah...Flora-Bama isn’t terribly far from Destin. You’d love that place. And if you venture over into Alabama, go to Lambert’s. Their schtick is that they throw dinner rolls. It’s cool to experience.

YeeHaw! Sounds like a low IQ, redneck nirvana.

Exactly. If you enjoy Morgantown on gamedays, you should like anything that's white-trash, redneck.

Or maybe you prefer the drug transactions in gas station parking lots, street flooding, and opiate/opiod overdoses that Huntington has to offer. If so, I suggest vacationing in Dayton or Detroit.

Reactions: 19MU88
Exactly. If you enjoy Morgantown on gamedays, you should like anything that's white-trash, redneck.

Or maybe you prefer the drug transactions in gas station parking lots, street flooding, and opiate/opiod overdoses that Huntington has to offer. If so, I suggest vacationing in Dayton or Detroit.

Nice comeback?

I apologize for contributing to the downward spiral. I just couldn't let that slow lob over the center of the plate go by.

July 23-27th. Driving down, then hitting Nashvegas for a few days on the way back.

Raoul, if you've never driven there, the last 100+ or so miles are a killer. It's like you get to Montgomery in no time and then the nightmare begins. Unless someone knows a,secret way to get there that I never found. And if you head back on a Saturday it's stop and go traffic on 65 all the way back to Birmingham. BC has the right idea on flying down.

Reactions: big_country90
Raoul, if you've never driven there, the last 100+ or so miles are a killer. It's like you get to Montgomery in no time and then the nightmare begins. Unless someone knows a,secret way to get there that I never found. And if you head back on a Saturday it's stop and go traffic on 65 all the way back to Birmingham. BC has the right idea on flying down.

Man...this is the best post in herd nation history. That last stretch getting to Destin is absolutely brutal. It's like driving through My Cousin Vinny, Alabama for over 2 hours, and there is no way around it. If you don't have a GPS, you'll get lost in a heartbeat. Also, you'll find out just how redenck certain parts of Florida are by driving that stretch. I'll be honest, driving there really wouldn't be that bad from WV if not for that stretch.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Not very many beaches on the east coast have very good access where you don’t have to take a bunch of back roads.

Thanks for the tip. No I have never been there. We are driving down on a Monday and back on a Friday.

Man...this is the best post in herd nation history. That last stretch getting to Destin is absolutely brutal. It's like driving through My Cousin Vinny, Alabama for over 2 hours, and there is no way around it. If you don't have a GPS, you'll get lost in a heartbeat. Also, you'll find out just how redenck certain parts of Florida are by driving that stretch. I'll be honest, driving there really wouldn't be that bad from WV if not for that stretch.

I'm pretty used to finding backroads and making time at it...it kind of comes with storm chasing experience lol. I may have been the only person in KY not stuck in traffic after last year's eclipse.

There is no good way to drive there, from anywhere. Flying is not much better. But,that area is a great destination.

That stretch of the drive made Logan County look like Beverly Hills. At least the law wasn't out and I made decent time. Except for Troy, two cops as soon as I hit the city limits, looking for suckers not paying attention.

Glad to see this thread back on the main page. I was looking for it. My wife and I love the Destin area. So much so that I just accepted a job in Niceville, FL. So, your neighborhood Maniac is leaving these mountains and headed for the Emerald Coast next month. Anybody have any good tips on rentals while I get to know the area a bit better and can find a house? Just to save money, I'm thinking we'll probably spend at least the first 6 months renting in Fort Walton Beach. The goal is to buy a house in Niceville.

Pineapple Willies great seafood and live music. Best shrimp I ever eat
The have live music a lot of nights

Glad to see this thread back on the main page. I was looking for it. My wife and I love the Destin area. So much so that I just accepted a job in Niceville, FL. So, your neighborhood Maniac is leaving these mountains and headed for the Emerald Coast next month. Anybody have any good tips on rentals while I get to know the area a bit better and can find a house? Just to save money, I'm thinking we'll probably spend at least the first 6 months renting in Fort Walton Beach. The goal is to buy a house in Niceville.

I only rent off VRBO for vacations these days. I would look for one that has an owner manager and work out a long term deal with them. That's the advantage of working with the owner, you don't have an agent worried about commission.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT