ADVERTISEMENT

Did you Know? 1 -AAA

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
So, I am lucky enough to get to still work, but I work from home now. I have a lot of down time between work work, and honey do work. One honey do list this weekend led me to a box of old newspapers I finally brought from my parents home a couple years ago. I kept a lot of sports pages in the early 1990's. I found an article from Friday, January 10, 1992. It is short, so I will type it out since i cant find it anywhere to link...

Title - 1-AAA Fails

David Warren of Ohio Wesleyan made an eloquent plea for creation of a separate football division for smaller Division ! schools citing "Old Testament prophets" and predicting that if the measure failed, "We will be creating another element of homelessness in America." Nevertheless, the measure to create a Division 1-AAA failed. The proposal was OPPOSED by Marshall and other 1-AA Powers.

I looked up some things on line to see if there was anything else about it and found an Associated Press article on it....

"The proposed Division I-AAA would have offered no scholarships to its players and was seen as a threat to Division I-AA, which felt its members might leave for the new, less costly division. Within Division I, Division I-AA voted no to the proposal.

Schools who desire a share of the income generated by the lucrative NCAA basketball tournament while running a cheaper football program at the same time wanted the new division.

Others who supported the proposal claimed they can't afford football unless it is played under the I-AAA umbrella.

'There are two ways we can go,' Bill Hunter of Division I-AA Towson State said during debate. 'One is to play I-AAA. The other is to drop football.' "

Towson State and Ohio Wesleyan were mentioned in each article, and both acted as if football would be gone for both schools.

Since that point:

Towson State stayed at 1-AA now FCS. They have made the playoffs three of the past 9 seasons. Making, and losing in, the championship game in 2013 (35 to 7 to NDSU). There have been 27 seasons since that article (that is just hard to imagine when you say in out loud) and they have 17 winning seasons, and 10 losing record seasons.

Ohio Wesleyan - The Battling Bishops are still plugging away at the D3 level. In 1999 they became just the 10th NCAA Division III program to win 500 games. They have since added lights and field turf, so clearly, not forming this division was not the end of the football world for them. I am not totally clear on the reason for them wanting the 1-AAA level as they were Division III at the time. Maybe that was a step up they were hoping to make, where as Towson was hoping to take a step back.

Alright, well, I thought it was interesting any way!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News