ADVERTISEMENT

Football Staff Promotions

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Huff has promoted two members of his staff to elevated titles, because after a losing season, why shouldn't people get elevated titles?

The safeties coach, Bob Shoop, has "earned" the title of "assistant head coach" even though he hasn't coached a game at Marshall as an assistant coach yet.

Running backs coach Telly Lockette has "earned" the title of "associate head coach."

Huff has promoted two members of his staff to elevated titles, because after a losing season, why shouldn't people get elevated titles?

The safeties coach, Bob Shoop, has "earned" the title of "assistant head coach" even though he hasn't coached a game at Marshall as an assistant coach yet.

Running backs coach Telly Lockette has "earned" the title of "associate head coach."
I think Telly is the best assistant on staff, soley based off of how his position group has performed (though that’s not saying much)

But yes, I agree with the rest of what you said

Shoop when at PSU through a hissy fit as DC. He wanted $1 million per yr. They agreed to $900k he stayed a yr went to Tennessee as DC and got his $1 mil. Within a yr ( or 2) he got fired at UT. Now he’s at Marshall

Is this like making a distinction between assistant regional manager, and assistant to the regional manager?
One of them used to have more responsibility while the other used to be next-in-line if something happened to the HC. The two titles have become bastardized over the years on many staffs, so it is a guessing game about which title means more and which carries certain responsibilities staff-to-staff.

Shoop when at PSU through a hissy fit as DC. He wanted $1 million per yr. They agreed to $900k he stayed a yr went to Tennessee as DC and got his $1 mil. Within a yr ( or 2) he got fired at UT. Now he’s at Marshall
Some of these guys are chasing an extra $100k annually while foregoing the chance of a state pension with their moves. An extra $50k in state pension for 30 years is better than a few years more of an additional $100k. There are a couple of guys on an old Oregon staff that are making a killing, because they opted to stay there instead of pursue bigger jobs. Mike Bellotti earns about $620k annually in pension due from having been an Oregon state employee as a coach.

Reactions: RhinoD
Is this like making a distinction between assistant regional manager, and assistant to the regional manager?
Back in the olden days the asst head coach was really a throw away title, many times given to a long time asst who was not a coordinator. I think Doc was asst HC at WVU I believe sometimes their biggest responsibility was running the summer camp. It was a reason to give somebody a raise
The asst to the Head coach is typically a secretory
But whatever , i hope they throw D’s around like they throw around titles around

Reactions: RhinoD
I think Telly is the best assistant on staff, soley based off of how his position group has performed (though that’s not saying much)

But yes, I agree with the rest of what you said
Duh! The most talented group of course they performed
But whatever

The OL?? Really?
Since huff has been here? Yes. We’ve had two great RB’s but TALENT only wise we’ve had how many OL go pro? Driskell and Tucker just this year, that matches the amount of rbs that went pro.

Did they perform, no. Did they have the talent? Yes.

Since huff has been here? Yes. We’ve had two great RB’s but TALENT only wise we’ve had how many OL go pro? Driskell and Tucker just this year, that matches the amount of rbs that went pro.

Did they perform, no. Did they have the talent? Yes.
They have size do they have talent?

Reactions: Jartard
One of them used to have more responsibility while the other used to be next-in-line if something happened to the HC. The two titles have become bastardized over the years on many staffs, so it is a guessing game about which title means more and which carries certain responsibilities staff-to-staff.

Some of these guys are chasing an extra $100k annually while foregoing the chance of a state pension with their moves. An extra $50k in state pension for 30 years is better than a few years more of an additional $100k. There are a couple of guys on an old Oregon staff that are making a killing, because they opted to stay there instead of pursue bigger jobs. Mike Bellotti earns about $620k annually in pension due from having been an Oregon state employee as a coach.
Not all states offer defined pensions to the faculty and staff of their supported colleges and universities. Some offer the choice between the state retirement plan and a matching retirement account, most often TIAA CREF. Most do not offer pensions.
Assistant coaches lead an itenerate existence as do most HCs. State pensions are not really portable, so I would speculate that coaches would choose the TIAA route if given the choice, which most often they don't.
If a college coach is collecting a defined state pension, that is an exception, not the norm. The same will be true for the current generation of faculty and staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT