ADVERTISEMENT

DJIA - a real example of half

Your math logic is either weak or intentionally misleading. The correct analogy would be that the girl blew 5 guys on the 13 man roster and saying she blew half the team.

You always want to focus on the 18 and 24 and ignore the 48. You want to focus on it being 75% because that sounds like a justifiable large percentage, but it’s 75% of 50% which is 37.5%. Simple fact is 37.5% is not close to 50%, it’s 33% short of 50%.

Stocks are sure taking a shit today, although Trump is actually going up. Intel is nearly at a 10 year low.

Down 1,600 from a few days ago. Wonder if rifle wants to recalculate Biden’s total return now?

Still about 9,000 above when your orange jesus was thrown out of the White House.

Your math logic is either weak or intentionally misleading. The correct analogy would be that the girl blew 5 guys on the 13 man roster and saying she blew half the team.

You always want to focus on the 18 and 24 and ignore the 48.
I like you, Banker, I really do. But my god, these are just abysmal positions for you to try to defend.

No, the correct analogy isn't a 13 man roster. The point is that 80% of one thing may not be close but 80% of another thing may be close. In other words, if you're driving from Huntington to the Barboursville Mall (assuming 10 miles), and you've driven 8 miles so far, then most people would say that you're almost there. On the other hand, if you are driving from Huntington to Jacksonville (assuming 10 hours), and you've driven 8 hours, most people would not consider that being almost there.

Likewise, if you have blown 4 out of 5 starters (80%), that's nearly all of the starters.

Your second point makes me wish everybody was still paying attention to this thread, because it's a Fever-level type of argument.

I don't want to focus on the 18 and 24 and ignore the 48 for any reason other than it's easier to type and understand. Which option is easier to understand and repeatedly type:
A) 18 is near 24
B) 18 is near half of 48

Option B makes you do one more step mentally (calculate half of 48), is more to type, and is more difficult to understand instead of just using what the half number is.

You want to focus on it being 75% because that sounds like a justifiable large percentage, but it’s 75% of 50% which is 37.5%. Simple fact is 37.5% is not close to 50%, it’s 33% short of 50%.

Do you need a new calculator? Why the fvck would I focus on it being 75% when my claim (18 is near half of 48) when both ways are the same thing: 75%?

Let's look at the two options again:
A) 18 is near 24 (near 75%)
B) 18 is near half of 48 (near 75%)

Regardless of which way I say it, it is near 75%.

Your constant attempt to twist the wording, illogically, is not just poor statistical analysis, but it lacks intellectual consistency. My claim had nothing to do with 37.5%, as my claim was that "18 is near half of 48." In other words, my claim was that 18 is near 75% of 24. The only time 37.5% would come into the picture is if you were comparing 18 with 48, which is not the case, since the entire comment was about HALF of 48.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT