ADVERTISEMENT

Do you realize...

Dec 10, 2013
Huntington, WV
Cabell Midland plays at Huntington High on 10/09. Coincidentally the exact same Friday night we play Southern Miss. Surely something could be worked out to move the HS game to Saturday. I know it has been discussed in the past having the game in the Joan, it would make more sense this year than any. MU could have a ticket special if you buy tickets to both games. As a season ticket holder my alliance is with the herd, but i'm also a Midland alum. Would love to make a Saturday trip to the Joan to watch some High School ball. Thoughts?

I also tweeted Hamrick, and twitter accounts representing both schools with the Saturday idea. Hopefully if enough people get behind the idea early enough it could be addressed sooner than a week before the games.

This is where we need to work with HS AD's and see if they can move it to Saturday. Be a shame if nothing can be done.

The MSAC site (for officials) shows the game on Saturday, 10/10 at 1:30 P.M. It has been changed.

We have had the conversation about CMHS-HHS at our stadium and about HS playoff games in both basketball and football.

It comes down to $$. The management at these HSs can make more $$ by playing home games.

Well its an NCAA violation to play HS basketball games on a college campus unless it is a state championship. That is Huntington Prep doesn't play games in the Cam anymore

Well its an NCAA violation to play HS basketball games on a college campus unless it is a state championship. That is Huntington Prep doesn't play games in the Cam anymore

what does that have to do with football?

They have moved the HHS-Cabell Midland game as stated above. And I'm sure $$ is one of the main reasons they don't really look into moving that game to Marshall.

Next week in Cincinnati, they are having the Skyline Kickoff to high school football season in Ohio, and Nippert Stadium on UC's campus is hosting 5-6 big HS games there next weekend.

Not sure exactly how the rules apply, but it must allow more than just a championship game in basketball, as there are numerous universities that host sectional, district, and regional games in the tournament prior to the final 4 which is played at Ohio State every year in Ohio, and I know Morehead, and WKU host regional games in Kentucky.

Rule must allow for tournament games to be played on campus, not just a state championship.

They have moved the HHS-Cabell Midland game as stated above. And I'm sure $$ is one of the main reasons they don't really look into moving that game to Marshall.

Next week in Cincinnati, they are having the Skyline Kickoff to high school football season in Ohio, and Nippert Stadium on UC's campus is hosting 5-6 big HS games there next weekend.

Not sure exactly how the rules apply, but it must allow more than just a championship game in basketball, as there are numerous universities that host sectional, district, and regional games in the tournament prior to the final 4 which is played at Ohio State every year in Ohio, and I know Morehead, and WKU host regional games in Kentucky.

Rule must allow for tournament games to be played on campus, not just a state championship.

I know when Huntington Prep used to host their MLK tournament the first 2 years it was held in the Cam then the third year they moved it to Vets Memorial and the reason why because of a change in NCAA rules. Now maybe the rule states for regular season games only

Yeah must be for regular season basketball only that it's now a rule.

Would be nice for MU to put something together to kickoff the football season like UC does, but wouldn't be possible without the financial backing of a big corporation like they have in Skyline.

I think Kirk Herbstrait and ESPN is the Organizer of those games if I remember correctly. I know its usually Cincy area schools vs. top ranked schools from Across the nation

They used to be involved with it, now it's just local where they'll take a few of the top teams in the city and face each other, occasionally they'll bring a team or two over from northern Kentucky or a team down from Columbus. Now it's organized by Tom Gamble a guy that's a former sports radio personality in the Cincinnati area.

But yes when ESPN and herbstreit was involved it was a great "national" event

Fever Huntington Prep barely has a following, no home court really, does not draw (even when Wiggans played) in Huntington. They draw better away from Huntington so that they are not competing for the local high school crowds. As for the Henderson Center I thought the rental fee was the issue. I could be mistaken however.

Marshall could host all class football state tournaments with the 2 finalists the year prior as a kickoff weekend...host them all in Huntington. I'm sure we have the space and could have good ticket packages for joint HS and MU football fans.
I'm not a fan of either HHS or CMHS...but this could become a good event prior to Marshall games in some way. Plus, if marketed right, could bring more attendance to games that weekend in general.

The rule is for boy's basketball only. Nothing to do with football. It was passed because a few of the very top schools were organizing in-season games for schools like Huntington Prep on their own floors which amounted to an extra recruiting trip. Duke was the main culprit.

It has nothing to do with HS tournament games, at any level from the first round through the finals. Also the NCAA has granted dozens of waivers based on the availability of venues in a particular town. The rule is not aimed at the Marshall level schools, it is aimed at Duke and UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT