ADVERTISEMENT

Doc's 17 season opener may never have meant more in his tenure...

Middle had a baby faced freshman QB. Stockstill would have ate on Marshall's defense,Aiken a smoke break, and ate some more. We have no mean big ugliess (DT) and our corners are soft! Now, we still have no big mean run stoppers, but the corner play should improve.

Miami (OH) 31
Marshall 34

We haven't had stellar DT play for run D in a while to be honest, at least in last 2-3 years. Even then Ohio always found a way to run on us lol We should be improved in many positions, corner, wr, a few other skill positions. Biggest ? to me is offensive line, if they aren't drastically improved, the offense will struggle yet again.

Playing devils advocate judge. So if they didn't quit does that mean we are that behind in talent to WKY to lose to them by 60 at home?

No, I don't think so. First, I think there is a difference in quitting and a team being emotionally deflated. When things start to go south in the final game of a three-win season, it's understandable that there isn't a lot of positive energy in the huddle or on the sidelines. Second--and this may help explain how my first point could happen--I don't think last year's team was lacking in talent; I think chemistry was a much bigger problem. Not to discount the injuries across the OL, which didn't help. But last year's team had a hard time finding themselves. Every season, new leaders have to emerge, young potential stars need to find their place, coaches change, and the team has to work out these new dynamics. Relationships and roles of players and coaches are not set in stone. Last year's team never found the balance or accepted their roles in a way that brought about a winning, team-first attitude. A few times last season things clicked, and the talent-level was obvious. More often than not, though, the team struggled.

I believe this year's team is actually more talented than last year's. But talent alone won't win games. This season I'm hoping for better chemistry.

Reactions: ToesMU and pdbailey
Honestly, I think Chase is a "leader", he has to confidence to be it. I think too much success as a freshman went to his head in an extreme way, immature etc. He has to learn on his own on how to lead through adversity, on and off the field. It begins with his own actions, no one is going to follow a leader that doesn't lead by example, and if they do follow him, you get a crap storm similar to last year, divided team. So we will see come fall camp where things stand

We haven't had stellar DT play for run D in a while to be honest, at least in last 2-3 years. Even then Ohio always found a way to run on us lol We should be improved in many positions, corner, wr, a few other skill positions. Biggest ? to me is offensive line, if they aren't drastically improved, the offense will struggle yet again.
Agree about O line. While Chase didn't cover himself in glory last season hard to play that position laying flat on your back or running for your life. I somewhat give our backs the same benefit of the doubt, hard to run the ball and do your own blocking.

The home opener is an old MAC opponent. The MAC teams seem to be Docs nemesis - especially Ohio. Do not look for Miami to come into the Joan and lay down. Let us all hope Doc will have the team prepared and individual attitudes adjusted and play hard and win the game. A home opener loss portends of a potential repeat of 2016 JMO.

Reactions: beefcake0520
The home opener is an old MAC opponent. The MAC teams seem to be Docs nemesis - especially Ohio. Do not look for Miami to come into the Joan and lay down. Let us all hope Doc will have the team prepared and individual attitudes adjusted and play hard and win the game. A home opener loss portends of a potential repeat of 2016 JMO.

Or.....Akron part deaux.

My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: bbneutralfan

Well, Doc and Co. have nearly a month to prepare for the Deadskins whereas they had a game week to prepare for the Zips last year. If they can't get it done with that much time to prepare then would have to question if this staff can ever prepare a team sufficiently to the point that it regains its winning ways!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT