ADVERTISEMENT

DONNIE JONES...Where Have I Been....

CarolinaHerdZilla22

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2015
Charlotte
Channel surfing after The Carolina Tarheels extend their dominance over Clemson at Death Valley, SC. Even DABO could not save the Tigers from the OT loss.

I saw the last few minutes of E. Carolina at UCF Knights. Really nice facility that Donnie built. Game ends with the Knights winning and Coach Jeff Lebo (ECU) extends his congrats to the Knight's Coach, Johnny Dawkins. I must have missed that Jones was fired last March.

Where did Donnie land? I bet he is enjoying the Florida sunshine and his exit $$$$$$.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

** See yall Thursday evening as ODU & Charlotte come calling on The HERD.

Last edited:
Zilla, back to your original post, I don't recall that Jones was fired under some specific "cause", although apparently not winning enough is a good cause! I assume he was under a multi year contract at FUC, or perhaps had served his last year of contract and it wasn't renewed.

If it was a multi year deal, then I'm sure some sort of a buyout is involved. Could be tricky cause if Jones took another coaching job, even as an assistant, then perhaps UCF wouldn't owe him his full buyout.

I say this because I just read tonight that VA Tech has 2 former head coaches they are still paying: Women's Coach named Wolff who was let go after last season, and former men's coach named Johnson fired a couple years ago. Both are now employed in basketball capacities at other D1 universities. The kicker as to why Tech has to pay them their full contracted buyouts? Both are serving in NON-Coaching capacities. Wolff is now on Jeff Jones men's staff at ODU in basketball operations; Johnson is in his second year in the same capacity at Miami (FL).

That makes me curious about our former coach, Tom Herrion. MU owed him about a half million or so from what I understand. But Tom the year after leaving MU was on the staff at GA Tech: not sure if in a coaching position or in "operations". Do recall seeing him on the Yellow Jackets bench on tv the season after leaving Huntington.

Perhaps others would have more info on Tom's role at GA Tech and his contract payout from MU. Sure hope that Hamrick and others in University's admin. did due diligence and properly applied "CYOA" vis-a-vis Tom's contract with MU!!

Oh, back to "Deee Jay", perhaps he is being paid by FUC and is just biding time on their dime before trying to get back into coaching. Just speculating!

[QUOTE="CarolinaHerdZilla22, post: 431479, member: 1798 Really nice facility that Donnie built.
.[/QUOTE]

That arena was built BEFORE Donnie went there.

Excuse me for not knowing...but what is a SHOW CAUSE PENALTY?

A "show cause penalty" means that any NCAA school that hires the coach during the period of the penaly must "show cause", which is to say prove to the NCAA the existance of a good reason, why the penalty the coach got the previous school in should not be applied to it as well. AFAIK, no school has ever actually come up with such a good reason so it esentually renders the coach unemployable, other than at the school he was cheating at, for the period, assuming that like UCF it wishes to keep the coach and continue to cheat. Jones, who was playing players and "street agents" got 3 years, which have since expired. He was fired by UCF for losing, not for cheating.

UCF's arena was built before he got there.

Jones is dog s**t. I am glad to see him fail and hope he continues to fail at whatever venture he trys for the rest of his life.

Reactions: 19MU88
Geez Sam why do you want DJ "to fail at whatever venture he tries for the rest of his life"? Because he left Marshall for a better financial opportunity at UCF? I dare say you would do the same for your family (assuming you have a family) and financial security. What's wrong with that?

Dana Altman, Billy Donovan, Jim Donnan, and for that matter, George Chaump left for better jobs in higher conferences (and, yes, I know Navy was not in a conference back then, don't nitpick) and I wished them well and continue to do so.

As unlikely as it seems if Doc or Dan get a better gig, I will thank them for their time and wish them well. Same for Mike, President Gilbert, any other coach, professor, dean, or any other university employee.

Donnie Jones left for the SAME conference. You just do not do that. And he pissed in the well on his way out. Blamed everybody else for his own mediocre results. He left the school, and his players, hanging.

And then he went to UCF, cheated (just like every coach UCF has in both sports ever) and still failed totally. Great. If he is ever given a position of responsibility again, hope he fails yet again.

Damn Sam! You talk like Donnie did something personally to you. I get that you and many others were not happy with the way he left. It happens. He brought in some really good players. Things went on that many of us will never know. He made a move to better himself and his family. UCF was willing to pay him way more than Marshall ever would. He paid Marshall his buyout. After he took the UCF job they went to a much tougher conference and that caught up with them. He did get in hot water and paid the price for it. He worked hard. In the end he was let go. Just because a few die hard MU fans don't like the way it went down doesn't make him a bad person. He has a wife and 3 kids he has to support. A few MU coaches have gotten in big trouble for doing some shady things but no one hates them. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
How do you know that Donnie "cheated" at Marshall as you say? Present factual evidence - not just a comment please.

How do you know that Donnie "cheated" at Marshall as you say? Present factual evidence - not just a comment please.

Well the information I have heard from players on the team is Donnie dropped off some cash to Whiteside Father in order to secure his committment. Also Donnie was in the process of securing employment and housing for his Mother before UCF came with an offer to him.

Every schools cheats, some more than others. Snyder cheated and Jones cheated during my time at Marshall. I know Snyder helped Maurice Graham find an apartment and a job for his baby mother.

You dont win if you arent cheating. Its just that some schools(Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Cal) Spend high money to cover their tracks while turning in smaller or rival schools even for the lowest infractions.

That might be my favorite part of D'Antoni's system - it's the only way schools like Marshall can compete without violating NCAA rules. Anyone who thinks Donnie Jones didn't cheat until he got to Orlando is just deluding themselves.

Ugly truth is the only way we make it back to the NCAA tournament is to find ourselves in a conference of peers: all mid-major football schools with no money left over for basketball, which we may be. Or we can cheat.

Donnie got out of Huntington before Mike canned him. Hamrick was VERY displeased with his scheduling. I know that for a fact.

Donnie didn't like the way Hamrick treated the basketball team vs the football team. Basically as second class citizens. I have heard Mike D doesn't like the way Hamrick treats the basketball team either but he's in his 60s and loves the school so he isn't going anywhere and honestly who knows if that's even true. But in Donnies case I know it's true.

That's why Donnie left for a team in our conference. Also he was told they were moving to a better basketball conference which they did. He got more money and a school that treated the basketball program equal or at least close to equal to the football program and a step up in competition.

I didn't like the way he handled his leaving and I have no idea about the cheating allegations but those are the reasons he left for a school in conference.
I'm not blaming Hamrick because honestly football drives the bus and when you are an AD at a school like Marshall where money is limited, you have to feed the football machine before anything else.

Well the information I have heard from players on the team is Donnie dropped off some cash to Whiteside Father in order to secure his committment. Also Donnie was in the process of securing employment and housing for his Mother before UCF came with an offer to him.

Every schools cheats, some more than others. Snyder cheated and Jones cheated during my time at Marshall. I know Snyder helped Maurice Graham find an apartment and a job for his baby mother.

You dont win if you arent cheating. Its just that some schools(Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Cal) Spend high money to cover their tracks while turning in smaller or rival schools even for the lowest infractions.
hear say. sounds like we are either clean or as good as bama at covering our tracks.

Danny was too feminite for me. Probably dresses like a woman when he can sneak and do it.

Danny was too feminite for me. Probably dresses like a woman when he can sneak and do it.

What the hell is this all about? Dang sisters...are you on the Kentucky corn liquor? Coach Danny wears shirts with the WV-HERD logo because he supports that there is more than one school in West Virginia that is proud of the flying WV. He recruits & promotes all things WEST VIRGINIA!

Sweeney in Charlotte

Last edited:
What the hell is this all about? Dang sisters...are you on the Kentucky corn liquor? Coach Dan wears shirts with the WV-HERD logo because he supports that there is more than one school in West Virginia that is proud of the flying WV. He recruits & promotes all things WEST VIRGINIA!

Sweeney in Charlotte
I think sister has good days and bad, he's getting a little long in the tooth. I'm guessing grandpa meant Donnie not Danny

or his team mates lied to you or the person who relayed their lies to you.

or if you are lying to us.

Or the guy who got caught cheating in Orlando was the same guy we had coaching in Huntington for three years immediately prior. During that time, a program that hadn't sniffed post-season play in two decades landed a one-and-done that turned out to be the best shot blocker the NBA has seen in a decade, as well as another NBA-caliber talent (Deandre Kane), who would be there with him today if not for his somewhat uneven personal disposition (an early candidate for Euphemism of the Year 2017).

It's an uncomfortable truth, but I think it's an obvious one. Otherwise you have to believe that Donnie Jones had some kind of magic recruiting formula that he just left behind when moving his stuff out of the Cam, and he resorted to cheating because he didn't want to call Hamrick and ask for it back.

Or the guy who got caught cheating in Orlando was the same guy we had coaching in Huntington for three years immediately prior. During that time, a program that hadn't sniffed post-season play in two decades landed a one-and-done that turned out to be the best shot blocker the NBA has seen in a decade, as well as another NBA-caliber talent (Deandre Kane), who would be there with him today if not for his somewhat uneven personal disposition (an early candidate for Euphemism of the Year 2017).

It's an uncomfortable truth, but I think it's an obvious one. Otherwise you have to believe that Donnie Jones had some kind of magic recruiting formula that he just left behind when moving his stuff out of the Cam, and he resorted to cheating because he didn't want to call Hamrick and ask for it back.

Its not worth explaining anything to 88

Kane was a partial qualifier doofus. we simply asked for proof on whiteside, nothing.....and he wasn't quite the best player in the NBA when at MU. took about 5 years or so after he left for the best shot blocker to happen

Oh and dont forget Top 150 players Damier Pitts and Dago Pena

we basically beat other mid majors for them.

besides, my cousin knows the student manager at that time and he told me we never did anything against the rules. duh

Because a student manager will know anything more than washing jerseys

I thought it was obvious, but I should have known it wouldn't be obvious or even detectable by you.

That was simply a facetious comment trying to make a point about hearsay.

You should go back to the pay board and get on Doc's sack with bleeds and PD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT