ADVERTISEMENT

Elmore Record Watch

mu_herd

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2007
I've been keeping an eye on Elmore's totals as we approached season's end. He's fallen off a lot in the last 5-8 games, but is still within reach of a few career records.

Marshall has 5 games remaining guaranteed and as many as 9 possible if we were to win 4 in the CUSA Tourney and make the NCAA (I'm just saying it's mathematically possible - not that I expect it to happen). That's where I'll stop the analysis.

CUSA Free Throws
Current Record: 726 (Stefon Jackson - UTEP)
Elmore: 2nd with 644
Status - Very unlikely to break. Needs 82 to tie, which means he would need to average 16.4 over 5 games or 9.1 over 9 games. Currently averages 4.7 a game this year and 5.2 for his career.

CUSA Assists
Current Record - 729 (Jon Elmore)
Status - Averaging 4.9 per game this season, so he should finish with between 754-774, with a nice cushion above 2nd place Julyan Stone (UTEP) with 714. The former Marshall record was 701.

CUSA 3 Pointers
Current Record: 346 (Jobey Thomas - Charlotte)
Elmore: 4th with 313 - behind Randy Culpepper (UTEP) - 318 and Demon Brown (Charlotte) - 341
Status: Unlikely to break. Needs 33 to tie, which means he needs to average 6.6 over 5 games or 3.7 over 9. Currently averages 2.6 per game, which should finish him in 3rd with between 326 and 336.

CUSA 3 Pt Attempts
Current Record: 960 (Demon Brown - Charlotte)
Elmore: 3rd with 903 - behind Randy Culpepper (UTEP) - 923
Status: Could break with extra games. Needs 57 to tie. Must average 11.4 over 5 games or 6.33 over 9. Averages 8.0 attempts per game, which puts him between 40 and 72 more. Playing 7 games would make this more likely, though it's just an attempts record, which doesn't mean all that much.

CUSA Field Goal Attempts
Current Record: 1,825 (Randy Culpepper - UTEP)
Elmore: 3rd with 1,794 - Also behind Stefon Jackson (UTEP) - 1,807
Status: Will break. Needs 31 to tie. Must average 6.2 attempts over 5 games or 3.4 over 9 games. Averages over 16 attempts per game. Will likely end between 1,874 to 1,938.

CUSA Points
Current Record: 2,456 (Stefon Jackson - UTEP)
Elmore: 2nd with 2,415
Status: Will break. Needs 41 to tie. Must average 8.2 over 5 games or 4.6 over 9 games to break. Averages 19.5/game, which puts him between 2,512 and 2,590. This presumes he scores at a rate closer to his season average than his recent average.

Marshall Points
Current Record: 2,574 (Skip Henderson)
Elmore: 2nd with 2,415
Status: Possible to break. This is the record to be appreciated the most, but it's getting to be a longer and longer shot the further we get into the season. I'd put his chances at pretty low right now unless he has a massive end to the season. He needs 9 games at his current average (19.5) to break it. Must average 19.9 to do it in 8 games, 22.7 to do it in 7, 26.5 to do it in 6, and 31.8 to do it in the 5 guaranteed games we have left.

There is a lot to debate about the team and to a degree, Jon's play this season, but there's no questioning that he has filled up the record books and still has the potential to cement himself as the career leader in several more categories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News