ADVERTISEMENT

End of game situation

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Did any of you who argued about the poor game management at the end of the La Tech game watch the end of the Texas A&M game? They had almost the exact same situation with the same amount of time on the clock.

The Aggies did exactly what Marshall should have done instead of taking a huge, unnecessary risk by throwing the ball in that situation.

I've heard it was Legg's call. Doc, who had just gotten a Gatorade bath, had no idea it was coming and went on an expletive-filled tirade at Legg after the play.

i was thinking the exact same thing watching the end of the TAMU game... completely forgot that the QB would be running towards a scoreboard clock as well. so he would know exactly when to slide.....

Holy crap. Really. That was how many weeks ago and last time I checked there is a Conference Championship trophy in the Shewey.

You know what scrap Doc's new deal.

That's the difference between winners and losers. Winners won't accept it and will make sure it doesn't happen again. Losers argue it doesnt matter because Marshall won.

But, it does matter. Eventually, those things will lead to failure (Kansas state) and your kind will be the first in line wanting heads to roll.

And so many of you were arguing it was the right thing to do, which it wasn't. That's why Kevin sumlin is where he is.

So who made the decision to call the Cato to Dobson pass play at the end of the Beef O'Brady Bowl?

Kevin Sumlin did catch a beating the one time he was in the Joan.

And winners and losers?? Last time I checked Doc is 23-5 the last 2 year and 40-25 in his first 5 years as a Head Coach. Seems like a winner to me.

But hey let's bring up a coaching blunder from Mark Snyder's 2nd game ever as a head coach

Originally posted by riflearm2:
That's the difference between winners and losers. Winners won't accept it and will make sure it doesn't happen again. Losers argue it doesnt matter because Marshall won.

But, it does matter. Eventually, those things will lead to failure (Kansas state) and your kind will be the first in line wanting heads to roll.

And so many of you were arguing it was the right thing to do, which it wasn't. That's why Kevin sumlin is where he is.
It's amazing how many people here fail to see things like that. I remember arguing forever and being in the minority that Bradshaw scoring the winning TD in the Super Bowl was the wrong move for the Giants because it lowered their odds of winning from about 99% to 90%.

Most of those who disagreed had the same line of "Well, it worked didn't it?" thinking. Was driving home drunk the right decision when you wake up the next day without a DUI or causing a wreck?

Believe it or not, it's possible to both love Doc and what he's done while still calling out stupid when you see it.

If "Doc" ever leaves , we have our next football coach , then again ,when Danny leaves we have our next basketball coach...when Hamrick leaves we have our next AD...think of all the money we could save with one hire..AD , football , hoop's.
Some or one in particular seems to always have all the answers , regardless of sport...just wondering when the move will be made to get on the ballot for POTUS.
roll.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/30 1:03 AM by MARSHALL77

rifle is right, it was a bad call. Luckily things worked out in our favor. Just because we won does not mean we cannot learn from things that happened in a game. Just becuase we won does not mean everything that was done in the game was perfect. Reflecting on decision making and trying to improve is not putting down Doc. I am happy he is our coach and would not trade him for anyone. Every coach makes mistakes, it is the good ones that try to learn from them.

Rifle is correct....for those of us that coach....we critique ourselves post game. It does not matter that we won a specific game...during grading time....we receive a mark, no matter the outcome. Marshall was fortunate the play did not cost The Herd the game.

Texas A & M made the RIGHT CALL....The HERD did not!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (Gary Sweeney)

Originally posted by Gochneaur645:

Originally posted by riflearm2:

It's amazing how many people here fail to see things like that. I remember arguing forever and being in the minority that Bradshaw scoring the winning TD in the Super Bowl was the wrong move for the Giants because it lowered their odds of winning from about 99% to 90%.

Most of those who disagreed had the same line of "Well, it worked didn't it?" thinking. Was driving home drunk the right decision when you wake up the next day without a DUI or causing a wreck?

Believe it or not, it's possible to both love Doc and what he's done while still calling out stupid when you see it.
Bradshaw even tried to keep himself from scoring on that play because he knew scoring the TD then would give them a chance to pull off a miracle

Actually A&M screwed up the 3rd down play,but got the fourth down play correct. They ran the ball directly into the LOS on 3rd down taking only about 2-3 seconds and making them run a 4th down play. If they rolled the QB on 3rd down they wouldn't have had to run the 4th down play at all as they would have only needed to burn 3 more seconds on that down.

Guys who have never been a HC (at any level) are more susceptible to these kind of brainfarts.....but it happens to all coaches at some point. College coaches who have at least been HS HC's have been through the mental reps so to speak. Being a HC who calls plays can make it better or worse depending on the situation. Add in nerves and emotions and it is not an easy thing. IMO, coaching staffs should spend an hour or so a week the day before the game talking through these scenarios. Have one coach create a situation and throw it out there and let the staff respond in 20-30 seconds. Just like with players the mental reps help.

Speaking of that game, why did WVU not try the onside kick? I know field position difference is significant but to me trying the onside kick gives you 2 chances: You recover and you can score and win/tie....if you don't you still have chance to stop them. You kick away and you've gone from having potentially 2 opportunities to one (stopping them)....especially in a game when you've struggled to get stops AND you have 2 explosive players on offense like White and their other speedy wideout.

Originally posted by WV_Celt:
Good lord, what's today's date?
The point was that there were numerous people who argued on here that throwing the ball, let alone even running another play, was the right thing to do. The exact situation came up in yesterday's game.

And bs this isn't doc bashing. James franklin at penn state made a boneheaded move at the end of regulation in their bowl. Trailing by 3 points, they faced a 4th-and-2 from their opponent's 27 yard line. There was about 30 seconds on the clock. He immediately took his last timeout. Why? Who knows. Everyone knew they had to kick the field goal to get it into OT. So, why call a timeout and allow the opponent 25 seconds to win the game if they get a decent return?

I could even argue for franklin if he would have called a timeout at 10 seconds. That way, PSU could have bobbled the snap, thrown/ran for the first down, and still had another chance at the game tying field goal. With 10 seconds in the clock, it would have left just a few seconds for the opponent to return the kick and score. But, to immediately call a timeout and give the opponent 25 seconds to get a decent return followed by one or two passes needing only 20-30 yards to get into field goal range? There is no excuse for that.

As coaches, we all know that arm chair quarterbacks (Point Guards) and fans in the stands get the call right 100% of the time. Game decisions are much easier in the calm of your family room or 30 seconds after the actual call needed to be made.

However, as has been pointed out in this thread, the thing that makes a coach great is that he takes ownership of the mistake , learns from it and vows to try and never make that mistake again. He also surrounds himself with great assistants who can help make split second decisions when the heat is on.

I find it interesting that Holgerson continues to make the same time and situation mistakes over and over.

Originally posted by WV_Celt:
Good lord, what's today's date?
i'm still bitter about the K-State game from 2005...

nobody is saying, "fire Doc!" nobody is pissed off. it was a bad call and yesterday provided and perfect example of how it should have unfolded.

i keep forgetting this is no longer a sports message board, but rather a place to gather and think happy thoughts

Originally posted by andy4theherd:

i'm still bitter about the K-State game from 2005...

I am with you on this one Andy. Still mkes me sick. (we also should not have loss the Southern Miss game at home that year)/

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
Kevin Sumlin did catch a beating the one time he was in the Joan.

And winners and losers?? Last time I checked Doc is 23-5 the last 2 year and 40-25 in his first 5 years as a Head Coach. Seems like a winner to me.

But hey let's bring up a coaching blunder from Mark Snyder's 2nd game ever as a head coach
The problem with Snyder is that he never got better. He did idiotic stuff from game one until his last game. He was absolutely hopeless. Doc seems to learn from mistakes. He's even grown a pair the past season in going for 4th down plays. I'm liking him more and more. Not that I was ever really against him. I did want Pruett back, and when we first hired him I kind of took a "wait and see" attitude towards him, but I was never against hiring him.

Originally posted by Tim Hensley:
Snyder blamed Jimmy Skinner for the Kansas State loss... Not cool.
It was skinners fault. So he was only wrong in that he didn't fall on the sword for his player, which I believe a coach should.

Originally posted by CarolinaHerdzilla:
Rifle is correct....for those of us that coach....we critique ourselves post game. It does not matter that we won a specific game...during grading time....we receive a mark, no matter the outcome. Marshall was fortunate the play did not cost The Herd the game.

Texas A & M made the RIGHT CALL....The HERD did not!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (Gary Sweeney)
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Rifle and Sweeney agreeing?!?!?

orig-21174083.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT