ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN is a Garbage Organization. College GameDay is Shameful.

wvkeeper(HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Muswell Hillbilly
So on the 50th Anniversary of the Marshall crash and the pain of this day we going to have a 5 minute video (that was excellently produced, thanks Geno Wojciechowski) and then no reaction from the panel?

Just the millionth "Tiger went to Stanford" moment?

Pathetic College GameDay

Embarrassing.

So on the 50th Anniversary of the Marshall crash and the pain of this day we going to have a 5 minute video (that was excellently produced, thanks Geno Wojciechowski) and then no reaction from the panel?

Just the millionth "Tiger went to Stanford" moment?

Pathetic College GameDay

Embarrassing.
Just curious, why does EPSN owe us more than 5 minutes?

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but the worst sports related air disaster in American history, that also involves a team currently ranked in the Top 20 may need to have more thought put into it and interaction than the time they usually put into a piece on the starting QB's high school mentor.

Well, ESPN has laid off a large number of its staff fairly recently, IIRC. Hurting financially, needing to increase revenue from advertising, etc., etc. Guess their leadership concluded that it was better to be in Augusta and have interviews with the likes of a 110 year old former golf and football announcer like Irv Lunsford than to stick to the main thrust of the show, "college football", and give more play to the MU story! The kind of "thinking" that you would normally expect to find in, say, the CUSA head office down in Dallas, but certainly not from a national concern like ESPN!!! Certainly not the case that the Masters wasn't given great exposure and coverage on other outlets in the ESPN family!

Reactions: Elkview
If Marshall/CUSA had been ESPN products, you can bet that there would've been some panel discussion.
The CSTV decision long ago still haunts the Herd. ESPN IS the dominant sports platform in North America. If you're not under their umbrella, you're gonna be at a disadvantage when it comes to coverage and bowl tie-ins...not to mention a recruiting handicap.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Gee, I guess the allure of having great ratings by taking advantage of the 1st ever Masters in November, in the middle of football season, catching the combo of college football fans along with the golf fans during the highest rated golf event annually was just too much to “pass” up....Sometimes, a person has to step outside themselves and look at it from a strictly business viewpoint. ESPN is not going to take a ratings hit by coming to Huntington, WV.

Reactions: alazare
Gee, I guess the allure of having great ratings by taking advantage of the 1st ever Masters in November, in the middle of football season, catching the combo of college football fans along with the golf fans during the highest rated golf event annually was just too much to “pass” up....Sometimes, a person has to step outside themselves and look at it from a strictly business viewpoint. ESPN is not going to take a ratings hit by coming to Huntington, WV.

I don’t think keeper is claiming they should have been here. He just thinks maybe they could have spent at least 3 seconds talking about it.

If ESPN can go to the likes of Harrisonburg, Virginia, prior to a FCS football game and conduct Game Day, they could have done the same show re: Huntington and MU football on a special day and commemorative anniversary date of the country's greatest sports related tragedy, IMO. Now would have been a different story
if the program's name was "Pro Golf Tourney Day", or the like . . . .

ESPN is taking a ratings hit for other reasons. They got away from doing what they should be doing which is covering sports with pure sports analysis. One thing Americans have learned during this pandemic is that we can survive without sports. and the "commentary" that goes with it.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I think the reason everyone is PO’d is the reason I am.. a top 25 team.. one of the most tragic events happened 50 years ago to the date... the story tells itself... and the fact they chose to go to a god forsaken golf tournament to do a college football pregame show.. it’s not that they owe us.. but dang!

Reactions: herdinatl
Its only a special day in Huntington. The rest of the sports world could give 2 shits about an event that happened 50 years ago.

Yeah, I get it. Explains why ESPN does those "commentary", so called special event, "educational" documentaries on 30/30 and elsewhere like, for example, the one that revolved around ONE college football game back when Southern Cal, coached by WV native John McKay, went and played a football game down in Alabama, against Bear Bryant's Tide! Oh, yeah, that game was in the 60s, IIRC, BEFORE the MU plane crash!!! But, uh, no one gives "2 shits"!!

Gameday also failed to even mention that Kentucky’s OLine coach died of cancer this week. A total omission.

That was, content-wise, an atrocious GameDay. One of their worst.

Thanks! My bad! My apologies to Verne for butchering his name!! Must have somehow been thinking of another past CBS (?) announcer when it came to the first name (Irv Cross, perhaps)!

Folks often confuse the two. 😃

Yeah, I get it. Explains why ESPN does those "commentary", so called special event, "educational" documentaries on 30/30 and elsewhere like, for example, the one that revolved around ONE college football game back when Southern Cal, coached by WV native John McKay, went and played a football game down in Alabama, against Bear Bryant's Tide! Oh, yeah, that game was in the 60s, IIRC, BEFORE the MU plane crash!!! But, uh, no one gives "2 shits"!!
So are you mad about Gameday or not getting a 30/30 special?

Reactions: HerdFan2018
- It was announced, including on this forum, where GD was to be this week, a month ago. If someone turned on to see if they were in Huntington, they have not been paying attention.

- In normal years, yes, GD, has been to lots of odd places. Back during our most recent good run, the thought controllers at ESPN did have a clear policy of ignoring, to the extent possible, every league/conference/sport that was not with ESPN. That kept the show away during that time.

- Remember what Coach said at the Spring Hill scene in the movie. "The funerals end today". Its been 50 years, and some of you still have not gotten that.

- Someday, totally unrelated to this event, we will get GD.

People still watch college gameday? Haha

There so many options (podcasts) for decent college football content. Someone please take me out of this world if I ever need David Pollack to fill that need.

This morning on Fox, Will Cain made mention of the anniversary & showed 2 TD catches (I think they were both caught by Gammage). 12-15 seconds, but there nonetheless......

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Saw highlights on ESPNU and ESPN2, CBS and crawls/stats on ABC.

Even that is ten times better the shitty stadium snd Facebook.

I think the reason everyone is PO’d is the reason I am.. a top 25 team.. one of the most tragic events happened 50 years ago to the date... the story tells itself... and the fact they chose to go to a god forsaken golf tournament to do a college football pregame show.. it’s not that they owe us.. but dang!
This is spot on.

October 2nd of this year was the 50th anniversary of the Wichita State plane crash that killed 31 people. If you knew that before reading this post, give yourself 100 points.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I'm holding out hope that GD will be on campus during the 100th anniversary of the crash. That's November 14th, 2070. I have no idea what kind of TV I'll have mounted up on the porch that day, but I feel it's going to be something special. Maybe it won't even be a TV, but rather I just speak softly to a cloud, and the GD set will appear to be broadcasting out there in the yard. God willing, I'll be out there on the porch watching, chugging beers out of my commemorative pint glass, etched with 110 years of fabulous living drinking, with an outside chance of understanding a single word Corso has to say.

No one cares Gameday was at the Masters. I get why (already had a set there and are trying to cut down on extraneous travel with Covid, etc...) they had it at Augusta.

It was the total lack of any reaction to the story that Wojo presented. Usually after one of those tearjerker Tom Rinaldi specials they have a convo about x, y, or z, etc...

They went to commercial and then had a poorly edited Stanford hit that they yukked about for 5 minutes after it ran.

I'm surprised many of you don't realize the world is ga ga over a washed up mid forties golfer. o_O

I'm holding out hope that GD will be on campus during the 100th anniversary of the crash. That's November 14th, 2070. I have no idea what kind of TV I'll have mounted up on the porch that day, but I feel it's going to be something special. Maybe it won't even be a TV, but rather I just speak softly to a cloud, and the GD set will appear to be broadcasting out there in the yard. God willing, I'll be out there on the porch watching, chugging beers out of my commemorative pint glass, etched with 110 years of fabulous living drinking, with an outside chance of understanding a single word Corso has to say.

Please God, for the World's sake, let's hope that we have EVOLVED BEYOND Game Day way before 2070!!!!

Reactions: Herdmeister
Maybe we can get Facebook gameday to come. Then all of the 15 viewers will be impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT