ADVERTISEMENT

First Time Head Coaches

Learn on the job.

Mark Snyder - 2005 vs KSU
Doc Holliday - 2010 vs WVU
Charles Huff - 2021 vs ECU

We'll see where we go from here, but let's maybe put the tickertape parade back in storage for now.
So what you’re saying is he’s already following in Holliday and Snyder’s footsteps? Yippee.

So what you’re saying is he’s already following in Holliday and Snyder’s footsteps? Yippee.
Nah, I'm just saying that people have developed outsized expectations based on the results of two games against abysmally weak competition, and this was the first real test, and Marshall did not pass.

Please keep in mind Huff inherited these players, and so far he's seemed like a capable driver before tonight. The real question is what kind of mechanic he will be, and what does this look like 2-3 years from now when all the 6 year seniors are gone.

So last week all of you wanted to throw Huff a ticker tape parade. Now you've turned on him because they lost to a team with a senior QB, 10 veteran defensive starters and play in a conference that we want to join by 4 points. In addition, their coach won a FCS Championship within 3 years of taking the JMU job.

ECU not only has a good roster, they lost to App state on the road and a SEC team in the last minutes of their gam. Let's be real, Huff is fielding a team with very few of the players being his recruits and a staff that just coached their 3rd game.

From what I saw, I did't see Huff throw into double coverage multiple times or get stripped of the ball going into the end zone. Everyone needs to chill and trust his process. If after 3 years, the results aren't there, then you will have a reason to bitch.

So last week all of you wanted to throw Huff a ticker tape parade. Now you've turned on him because they lost to a team with a senior QB, 10 veteran defensive starters and play in a conference that we want to join by 4 points. In addition, their coach won a FCS Championship within 3 years of taking the JMU job.

ECU not only has a good roster, they lost to App state on the road and a SEC team in the last minutes of their gam. Let's be real, Huff is fielding a team with very few of the players being his recruits and a staff that just coached their 3rd game.

From what I saw, I did't see Huff throw into double coverage multiple times or get stripped of the ball going into the end zone. Everyone needs to chill and trust his process. If after 3 years, the results aren't there, then you will have a reason to bitch.
Did you watch the same game? Wells absolutely threw into double and triple coverage, although he isn't the primary reason we lost tonight. What the hell do you think happened when we fumbled inside the 5 yard line?

We're bitching, because we had the game won and choked. If we were simply outmatched with talent, your argument would make at least a little more sense.

Tonight was incredibly disappointing and the 4th quarter was an especially inexcusable display of poor coaching.

The points about this being a team Huff has inherited, facing its first real competition (a team that was better than the 0-2 record indicated) are also valid. And thus, it's wildly ridiculous to make any kind of judgment about what is actually going to characterize his era.

Both of these things can be true. They are not mutually exclusive.

He's owning it so far. For now, I'm content to see how we look Thursday. By seasons end. And 2 years from now with his horses attached to the wagon and a few years to saturate the fabric and mentality of the program.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Look, if you want to be super duper aggressive in the fourth quarter when you're up 17, I'm totally fine with that.

Run whatever play you want, just tell your damn quarterback to snap the ball with 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. Waste as much time as you can before you throw that ill-advised bomb into octuple coverage.

Onside kick by ECU definitely should have been covered better. We sat back and let the ball come to us. Giving up a 17 point lead falls on the coach. The game ain't over until the whistle blows!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Idk how any coach can watch gilmore on defense and not have him do tackling drills alllllllll week. And please someone show wells how to go through progressions. Gammage was absolutely wide open the 2nd to last pass into double/triple coverage on opposite side of the field. This is definitely coaching. I do know huff said last week he was not pleased with progressions and pass selections or any other part of the offense but it doesn't look like it was corrected. We beat ourselves. Hell even making the field goal would have let us sneak out with another field goal at the end.

We gave the last guy 10 years to drive the program in the ditch. I’m going to give Huff a few games to figure it out.

1)Wells needs to get better. 2) Secondary completely imploded in the 4th qtr 3)mental mistakes (players and coaches) poor decisions caught up to us.
Seriously in the ditch? I believe we were stagnant and needed change but I wouldnt call it the ditch. What Snyder got was the ditch with a nice big layer of probation on top.

Huff is a first time head coach and like it or not there will be growing pains. Team loss from the coaches down.

Idk how any coach can watch gilmore on defense and not have him do tackling drills alllllllll week. And please someone show wells how to go through progressions. Gammage was absolutely wide open the 2nd to last pass into double/triple coverage on opposite side of the field. This is definitely coaching. I do know huff said last week he was not pleased with progressions and pass selections or any other part of the offense but it doesn't look like it was corrected. We beat ourselves. Hell even making the field goal would have let us sneak out with another field goal at the end.
I love Grant, but he's not checking the other side of the field. Several times tonight he threw into coverage when the WR on the opposite side is streaking wide open.

Look, if you want to be super duper aggressive in the fourth quarter when you're up 17, I'm totally fine with that.

Run whatever play you want, just tell your damn quarterback to snap the ball with 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. Waste as much time as you can before you throw that ill-advised bomb into octuple coverage.

And maybe make sure your defense shows up occasionally too. They looked hungover.

Reactions: mlblack16.

Totally agree. Of everything that happened in the 4th quarter, poor clock management lost the game. I said it to the person beside at the 12:00 minute mark up by 17, we need to use the play clock better. Still snapping with 20-25 seconds on the clock. Do that, and we're not in the position we were in...

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
We gave the last guy 10 years to drive the program in the ditch. I’m going to give Huff a few games to figure it out.

1)Wells needs to get better. 2) Secondary completely imploded in the 4th qtr 3)mental mistakes (players and coaches) poor decisions caught up to us.
Amen to this. Plus we experienced some of the worst losses and meltdown's in MU football history under the excellent recruiter. I'll give Huff a couple of years to get the house in order. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Marshall is going to get hammer cocked in Boone. Ok. Just telling you. App is pretty good and they want a piece of Marshall. We lack players and the program had been missing something for a decade.

Now I agree with Raleigh. Doc ran the program into boring mediocrity and gaps in talent. And he basically ran the program down.

I am giving Huff some room here. Were there coaching blunders. Yep I imagine so. But there are bigger issues. He was left with a cupboard of stale bread.

So don't get mad but App is going yo likely win and it wouldn't surprise me if it is a good whooping. But let's see where we stand in week 8 or 10. Next year or two. We need some horses to run the race.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Marshall is going to get hammer cocked in Boone. Ok. Just telling you. App is pretty good and they want a piece of Marshall. We lack players and the program had been missing something for a decade.

Now I agree with Raleigh. Doc ran the program into boring mediocrity and gaps in talent. And he basically ran the program down.

I am giving Huff some room here. Were there coaching blunders. Yep I imagine so. But there are bigger issues. He was left with a cupboard of stale bread.

So don't get mad but App is going yo likely win and it wouldn't surprise me if it is a good whooping. But let's see where we stand in week 8 or 10. Next year or two. We need some horses to run the race.
Agree. Docs better recruits never made it to the field. His best recruit ever had to be persuaded by his childhood friend to de-commit from FIU and come here. We aren't as talented as some think. The media and Schewey spinners would like us to think otherwise.

Yes. Marshall was out coached, but ecu coach is a good one.

Yes! The meltdown seems much more attributable to coaching decisions than talent. Game was well in hand and we should have had more points. Multiple players on the ST unit not knowing the rules around an onside kick is disturbing and can't be attributed to a lack of talent.

Chucking the ball in the endzone on 4th and two when a first down essentially wins the game for us . . . if that was coaching, I blame the coach.

Being completely clueless that an onside kick was coming . . . if that was coaching, I blame the coach.

Making zero attempt to manage the clock in the 4th quarter . . . you get the point.

All that said, we learn from our mistakes. I’ll give this staff a chance to shake it off, adjust and see what happens. Let’s not forget they did some great things that deserve mentioning.

As for Appy, they are good but I also saw a potent Herd offense that is going to be tough to stop if we can limit mistakes. Let’s also not forget that we beat this team last year. Some of y’all are throwing in the towel too soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT