ADVERTISEMENT

FIU Game Thread

Hell, the punter from the 1996 team played 11 seasons in the NFL. The 96 team would run the table in CUSA with ease

So now we get 8 wins and some have to start talking about last players and how they are better than guys now or could do this or do that. That shows me our fans are struggling with the fact we realistically could win 10 games.

I may not be happy with things this year but I remember a recent 3 win season and this sure is a lot better...but hey I enjoy winning instead of wishing my team would lose. If you guys are that miserable I hear there are some WVU fans jumping off their band wagon so there is room for you to hop on.

Reactions: The Real SamC
So now we get 8 wins and some have to start talking about last players and how they are better than guys now or could do this or do that. That shows me our fans are struggling with the fact we realistically could win 10 games.

I may not be happy with things this year but I remember a recent 3 win season and this sure is a lot better...but hey I enjoy winning instead of wishing my team would lose. If you guys are that miserable I hear there are some WVU fans jumping off their band wagon so there is room for you to hop on.

Hey boys.. we have ourselves a Superfan over here. :rolleyes:
No one said anything negative about the win. But some of us are smart enough to know when stupid things are said like our 1AA players wouldn’t or couldn’t play with this team we chime in with facts.

Reactions: i am herdman

You remember a 3 win season. I don't remember that in the early 90's and even during those "bad" Pruett years everybody talks about.

We are tri-champs in our division, but we got a fabricated win total.

Reactions: Marine03
The 1996 team was a different animal.

Point still stands about JUCO QBs. There just aren't that many high level JUCO QBs out there to be had.

Reactions: pdbailey

Hey, it's not about the win and more about the fact that we played the last three games of the conference season with no shot at winning the division. Playing in this conference, against the collection of misfit toys we share it with, we shouldn't be eliminated just over half way through the conference schedule. This is even more frustrating because we returned 18 starters and a bunch of other experienced players.

I will say that if King and Green don't miss games we probably walk in to the championship game, but of course if Davis didn't get hurt then King never would have gotten the snaps necessary to excel (yet another frustration, Doc not getting the best running backs on the field, a reoccurring issue).

People are upset that the offense is non existent except for 2-3 possessions a game. We are not consistent in anything we do on that side of the ball, and yes, the fans here are very demanding of the offense. I'll be honest, if we won every game next year 7-0, I would quit attending at some point during the season, or at least leave early and show up late. It's just not fun sitting there for that. We won 23-0 last week, I stayed for the whole game, but bet I didn't actually pay attention to more than 10-15 plays the entire second half. Just talked to friends for that hour and some.

So I'm my opinion, I'm not leaving Marshall like some bandwagon guy. Doc has taken Marshall football away from me by putting out a horrible offensive product that creates about 2 minutes of excitement in 30 minutes of game time, or 2 minutes in and hour and a half of real time.

I like Green and think he has the potential as Cato did but as we have seen, we can’t put all our eggs in one basket and need to continue to look for the best available out there. No one will convince me that Doc has done a good job recruiting QB’s. Cato is the only on of his recruits that turned out worth anything. Green can IF he works at it.
Don’t give me the Litton shit or anyone else. Litton was the most overhyped BS machine we’ve ever had in this program.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I like Green and think he has the potential as Cato did but as we have seen, we can’t put all our eggs in one basket and need to continue to look for the best available out there. No one will convince me that Doc has done a good job recruiting QB’s. Cato is the only on of his recruits that turned out worth anything. Green can IF he works at it.
Don’t give me the Litton shit or anyone else. Litton was the most overhyped BS machine we’ve ever had in this program.
The QBs in the 2019 class are both composite 3-star QBs so maybe we will have good depth at the position in the future. I still blame Legg for not going after more high profile QB recruits as he seemed to always go for the mid-level rated QBs that would need a bunch of time to develop, and it has resulted in a bunch of transfers and a lack of quality depth at the position. Of course, that is usually the case for most G5 schools. Green has the potential to be a play maker like Cato was for us, but he needs to work hard on his short to intermediate passing and needs to greatly improve his footwork and mechanics. Green is just very raw or unpolished at this point.

The QBs in the 2019 class are both composite 3-star QBs so maybe we will have good depth at the position in the future. I still blame Legg for not going after more high profile QB recruits as he seemed to always go for the mid-level rated QBs that would need a bunch of time to develop, and it has resulted in a bunch of transfers and a lack of quality depth at the position. Of course, that is usually the case for most G5 schools. Green has the potential to be a play maker like Cato was for us, but he needs to work hard on his short to intermediate passing and needs to greatly improve his footwork and mechanics. Green is just very raw or unpolished at this point.

This is what kills me. If Green doesn't make a leap, where do we go from there? Hope Thomson's shoulder heals well enough that he can throw the way a D1 QB should and hope he stays healthy? Does Morrell come back in the picture? Underwood seems to have promise but again, having a true freshmen come in and start would be a disaster as far as this program moving forward. I don't think Wells could get it done next fall. He needs an RS for sure - and frankly we shouldn't be in a position to even have him considered as a possible starter.

One things for damn sure. The coaches know what needs done concerning what Green needs to improve on. If he doesn't do it, it's on them - that's their damn job.

This is what kills me. If Green doesn't make a leap, where do we go from there? Hope Thomson's shoulder heals well enough that he can throw the way a D1 QB should and hope he stays healthy? Does Morrell come back in the picture? Underwood seems to have promise but again, having a true freshmen come in and start would be a disaster as far as this program moving forward. I don't think Wells could get it done next fall. He needs an RS for sure - and frankly we shouldn't be in a position to even have him considered as a possible starter.

One things for damn sure. The coaches know what needs done concerning what Green needs to improve on. If he doesn't do it, it's on them - that's their damn job.
Underwood is raw like Green and will need a couple of years to develop before competing for a spot in the depth chart. Wells will be at MU in the Spring so we will get to see if he is ready to compete for a spot or not but he should redshirt as well. Thomson very well could heal up for next season and push Green, but I think Thomson would need to be much better than Green in practice to win the job back. Morrell is certainly a serviceable backup so he should stay the #3 in 2019 and be the #2 in 2020 if he doesn't decide to transfer down.

Underwood is raw like Green and will need a couple of years to develop before competing for a spot in the depth chart. Wells will be at MU in the Spring so we will get to see if he is ready to compete for a spot or not but he should redshirt as well. Thomson very well could heal up for next season and push Green, but I think Thomson would need to be much better than Green in practice to win the job back. Morrell is certainly a serviceable backup so he should stay the #3 in 2019 and be the #2 in 2020 if he doesn't decide to transfer down.
Wells should RS, Not knocking him but if he comes close to competing for the starting job, we have huge issues.
Maybe Thomson's shoulder does heal. Those close to him didn't want him to play at all this year anyway. I'd love to see what a complete 100% Thomson could do; and I am a Green guy. With work and coaching, IG has a great future ahead.

I'll be honest, if we won every game next year 7-0, I would quit attending at some point during the season, or at least leave early and show up late.

This is a very defining statement about all sports, not just Marshall Athletics. It's not about winning and losing anymore. It's become a form of entertainment and a business. It's sad. This is why it's so hard to development a sense of winning in a program. Too much emphasis is put on highlights and such. Players see that and it takes their focus away from what's really important.....winning.

Reactions: pdbailey
This is a very defining statement about all sports, not just Marshall Athletics. It's not about winning and losing anymore. It's become a form of entertainment and a business. It's sad. This is why it's so hard to development a sense of winning in a program. Too much emphasis is put on highlights and such. Players see that and it takes their focus away from what's really important.....winning.

It is sad but it's the truth. It's more about entertaining the customer and them having a good time almost as much as winning. Families with kids, young people and students have to be entertained to want to come back. Marshall competes for that discretionary dollar and has to realize that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT