ADVERTISEMENT

Football signees from yesterday

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
Some interesting guys in the small group of eight early signings --

QB - Colin Parachek -- Was the backup last year at Moorehead State. Played in 4 games, started 2... This is the kind of portal QB that I assumed Huff was talking about bringing in. A depth arm with some lower level FCS experience. We now have 5 quarterbacks for the Spring's QB competition.

TE - Tracy Stephens -- Dude is a big tight end, 6'5, 250. If your that size at the TE spot you should at the very least be a hell of a blocker. Had offers from South Florida and Georgia State.

DT - Beni Tshita -- Three star recruit out of the Louisville area. 6'3, 260.

OL - Shawn Rouse -- Local kid from Cabell Midland. Played tackle in high school but based on his size/quickness may be better suited for guard in college.

LB - Jaden Yates -- Son of Marshall HOF member Max Yates. A three star prospect out of Ohio. Had offers from pretty much every school in the MAC.

And perhaps the three most important additions given our current roster and what we lose...

DB - Caleb Clark Glover -- Three star corner from Cincinnati. Had offers from Army, Buffalo and Akron.

DB - CJ Davis -- Three star corner. Had offers from Air Force, Western Michigan and Central Michigan.

DB - Ahmere Foster -- Three star free safety. Had offers from Coastal Carolina and JMU along with Florida Atlantic.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I assume we aren't done with the portal either. Looks like Huff is gonna roll with a QB currently on roster for 2023. Trickett gonna have to earn that paycheck and coach these kids up big time.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I assume we aren't done with the portal either. Looks like Huff is gonna roll with a QB currently on roster for 2023. Trickett gonna have to earn that paycheck and coach these kids up big time.
You are correct... Huff said as much yesterday. The official signing day is Feb 1, so I assume there will be a handful of guys coming in from the portal between now and then.

I saw somewhere where we are bringing in a DB from Wake Forest and DT from Purdue, maybe?... They were not yesterdays list because they aren't official yet.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
You are correct... Huff said as much yesterday. The official signing day is Feb 1, so I assume there will be a handful of guys coming in from the portal between now and then.

I saw somewhere where we are bringing in a DB from Wake Forest and DT from Purdue, maybe?... They were not yesterdays list because they aren't official yet.
Through the portal we’ve added:

DB JJ Roberts from Wake (local kid)
DT Travis Geiger from Coastal
WR Demarcus Harris from UK
WR Mason Pierce from McNeese State

Reactions: MU PIKE and RhinoD
The receivers — are they known more for their blocking? Couldn’t imagine any other type wanting to transfer here with the QB situation as it is.

Reactions: FootballArmy
pretty weak class this year with 9 commits - 9th out of 14 SBC teams. It looks like Huff is going to spend time in the transfer portal this year.

pretty weak class this year with 9 commits - 9th out of 14 SBC teams. It looks like Huff is going to spend time in the transfer portal this year.
It's also based on number signed. As you said, Huff will likely bring in some portal guys.
We'll be fine

Reactions: ilmherdfan
It used to be that the traditional, once a year, National Signing Day was like Christmas Morning for us college football fans. We awoke to the buzzing of fax machines and the flow of freshly signed LOI's. Now between early signing day, traditional signing day and both transfer portal windows, the initial announcement of a newly minted incoming class and its subsequent ranking have lost a lot of it's all at once impact. Now it feels more like the ongoing assembly of a fantasy football roster.

It used to be that the traditional, once a year, National Signing Day was like Christmas Morning for us college football fans. We awoke to the buzzing of fax machines and the flow of freshly signed LOI's. Now between early signing day, traditional signing day and both transfer portal windows, the initial announcement of a newly minted incoming class and its subsequent ranking have lost a lot of it's all at once impact. Now it feels more like the ongoing assembly of a fantasy football roster.
Yeap, all about the mighty dollar.

Reactions: Herd-in-ATL
In normal years, Im not a rah rah portal guy (I'd rather recruit and develop kids who want to be here)... But this year, given what we are losing on defense, I think its probably the right route. We need help everywhere on that side of the ball and defensive players tend to have an easier transition to a new program than offensive players. Having some guys with some level of college football experience would be great, especially at DT, LB and CB going into next year.

If we don't go to the portal for some defensive reinforcements, we are going to be incredibly young and very thin at those positions next season.

In normal years, Im not a rah rah portal guy (I'd rather recruit and develop kids who want to be here)... But this year, given what we are losing on defense, I think its probably the right route. We need help everywhere on that side of the ball and defensive players tend to have an easier transition to a new program than offensive players. Having some guys with some level of college football experience would be great, especially at DT, LB and CB going into next year.

If we don't go to the portal for some defensive reinforcements, we are going to be incredibly young and very thin at those positions next season.
I agree with you and I will assume so does Coach Huff.

Reactions: Elkview
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT