ADVERTISEMENT

FYI...

Actually, the athletic budget was $85.9 million Revenues were $105 million. As AD Lyons said this week, WVU is stashing cash away in anticipation of TV revenue dropping when the current TV deals expire. The point is, now that the loan for the Big East exit fees has been fully repaid, and WVU is receiving a full share of the Big XII payout, WVU is in the best financial shape ever. To say that WVU "has no money" is just silly.
Good. You guys can let the legislature know that you don't need a larger allocation of money in the budget and that the windfall can be distributed to the MU and the other colleges that are having funding and job cuts.;)

Good. You guys can let the legislature know that you don't need a larger allocation of money in the budget and that the windfall can be distributed to the MU and the other colleges that are having funding and job cuts.;)

Just FYI, the 105 million in revenues were generated by the athletic department. The state legislature doesn't fund that, and WVU faced similar cuts from the state as the rest of the schools did. I don't understand the logic that I read here that the WVU athletic department owes something to MU.

Just FYI, the 105 million in revenues were generated by the athletic department. The state legislature doesn't fund that, and WVU faced similar cuts from the state as the rest of the schools did. I don't understand the logic that I read here that the WVU athletic department owes something to MU.
I'm really just screwing with you WVU fans, but if you are making more than your spending, while academic jobs are being cut due to finding cuts, then it certainly makes sense that WVU should reallocate some of those funds to the academic side. After all, college academics is why WVU exists at all. Honestly, WVU gets more than their fair share in terms of state budget money anyway, and we know that the main reason is to keep MU down and prevent or slow our growth as an institution.

I'm really just screwing with you WVU fans, but if you are making more than your spending, while academic jobs are being cut due to finding cuts, then it certainly makes sense that WVU should reallocate some of those funds to the academic side. After all, college academics is why WVU exists at all. Honestly, WVU gets more than their fair share in terms of state budget money anyway, and we know that the main reason is to keep MU down and prevent or slow our growth as an institution.
no but they should feel they have an obligation to the state and its constituents who have funded them at their own demise.... less than 50% of any given class are NOT a West Virginian, so they should give back to the state that is in desperate need!

the issue isn't athletics, imo. wvu has gotten the lions' share of state funding for over a century and continue to do so. a couple years ago about 25% of wvu's budget was from state appropriations, compare that to wvu's peers (ohio state, kentucky, uva, pitt, vt, penn state) who had ran with the century of funding and built themselves up that less than 8% of their budget was coming from their state appropriations. wvu needing a significant chunk of the money available in the state for higher ed instead of becoming more self-funded has hurt marshall and the rest of the 4 years in the state, and has really hurt the CTC system which could be, and should be, a massive benefit to the citizens of the state.

Reactions: pdbailey
WV issue is there is too many 4 year public universities sucking up the State's money. WVU and Marshall should be the flagship school. WVSU, Concord, Shepard, and Fairmont State serves their regional purpose. All the other schools should either be closed down or downgraded to 2 Year schools or technical/trade schools.

Reactions: pdbailey and ToesMU
I'm really just screwing with you WVU fans..............WVU gets more than their fair share in terms of state budget money anyway, and we know that the main reason is to keep MU down and prevent or slow our growth as an institution.

If you seriously believe that the state legislature is on a mission to "keep MU down and prevent or slow down our growth.......", you're just screwing with yourself.

the issue isn't athletics, imo. wvu has gotten the lions' share of state funding for over a century and continue to do so. a couple years ago about 25% of wvu's budget was from state appropriations, compare that to wvu's peers (ohio state, kentucky, uva, pitt, vt, penn state) who had ran with the century of funding and built themselves up that less than 8% of their budget was coming from their state appropriations. wvu needing a significant chunk of the money available in the state for higher ed instead of becoming more self-funded has hurt marshall and the rest of the 4 years in the state, and has really hurt the CTC system which could be, and should be, a massive benefit to the citizens of the state.

This conversation always makes me laugh. The idea that WVU... or Marshall serve as financial albatrosses for the state is hilarious. WVU and Marshall combine for about $150 million (that is with an M) in state tax dollars. While at the same time account for $1.8 Billion (that is with a B) of economic impact for the state. That includes jobs (which we pay taxes back to the state on), out of state tourism (that people from other places spend while here and pay taxes to our state), tuition (including lots of kids from out-of-state and bring that out-of-state money with them), federal and private foundation grant money for research (which supports more jobs), and lots of other things.

This state would be in TERRIBLE shape if WVU or MU were to stop contributing what they do. To make it easier here is a little chart:

Institution.................. 2016 State Tax money ..................... Positive Economic Impact on WV
WVU ............................... 110 mill (appx) ...................................... 1.4 billion
Marshal .............................48 mill (appx)........................................ 400 mill

So in other words every dollar invested in WVU has come back to the state more than 12x and every dollar invested at Marshall has come back to the state more than 8x. Both of these are really impressive numbers.

Don't believe me? You don't have to, just follow the link below.

www.wvhepc.edu/west-virginias-public-higher-education-institutions-have-2-7-billion-impact-on-state/

Also, the problem with your comparison is in the way schools like OSU and PSU do their accounting. They each have a dozen or more branch campuses which they operate at a loss however, they spin off their accounting into a separate entity so that it doesn't affect their bottom line. This is similar to how large companies spin off smaller parts of their business in a way to artificially inflate their earnings numbers.

On the other hand WVU, and I assume Marshall as well, don't do this. Instead of having "Branch" campuses, we have "Extended Learning facilities/campuses". As a result WVU (and again, I assume Marshall) has to include those operating expenses in the main campus calculations. This lowers our ROI #'s, increases the % of the budget that is state supported, and hurts both universities as compared to these other schools in countless other ways that we could discuss (i.e. U.S. News and World Report rankings).

This conversation always makes me laugh. The idea that WVU... or Marshall serve as financial albatrosses for the state is hilarious. WVU and Marshall combine for about $150 million (that is with an M) in state tax dollars. While at the same time account for $1.8 Billion (that is with a B) of economic impact for the state. That includes jobs (which we pay taxes back to the state on), out of state tourism (that people from other places spend while here and pay taxes to our state), tuition (including lots of kids from out-of-state and bring that out-of-state money with them), federal and private foundation grant money for research (which supports more jobs), and lots of other things.

This state would be in TERRIBLE shape if WVU or MU were to stop contributing what they do. To make it easier here is a little chart:

Institution.................. 2016 State Tax money ..................... Positive Economic Impact on WV
WVU ............................... 110 mill (appx) ...................................... 1.4 billion
Marshal .............................48 mill (appx)........................................ 400 mill

So in other words every dollar invested in WVU has come back to the state more than 12x and every dollar invested at Marshall has come back to the state more than 8x. Both of these are really impressive numbers.

Don't believe me? You don't have to, just follow the link below.

www.wvhepc.edu/west-virginias-public-higher-education-institutions-have-2-7-billion-impact-on-state/

you sold me.....sounds like the state would be foolish not to double or triple the $$ to MU to get 8x return

Reactions: HerdFan76
Does it matter? In 10 years they're going to be in the newfound AAC (possibly with us already being a member) when the major conferences shift around once more and take in 16 teams and leave the likes of wvu and several other mid/low tier P5 schools in the dust. They'll have no choice but to play us as wel will both be in the land of misfit football programs.
Lol

Coverage is coverage, but I can do without "curated chat experiences" and "real time social elements". Was hoping that the UTSA game would find its way onto real TV as it is being done for broadcast in San Antonio by a station owned by Sinclair company, which owns 8 & 11 here. "

So the schedule is:

Little Miami (Facebook internet)
NC State (ESPN3 internet)
Kent State (none as of now, only game that week with no TV listed at all)
Cincinnati (rights belong to THE AMERICAN!!!!, TBA, probably ESPN3 internet)
UNCC (local cable in Charlotte, maybe ESPN3)
Old Dominion (ESPN3 internet)
Middle Tennessee (ESPN2, actual real TV)
FIU (Facebook internet)
FAU (CBSSN, actual real TV)
WKU ( BEIN channel, actual real TV)
UTSA (Facebook internet)
Southern Miss (Stadium TV, actual real TV)

This doesnt help with cash flow

Last edited:
Reactions: The Big Skipbowski
ACC will never take "Heathergate U", mark it down. SEC more likely, especially when Texas and OU leave for the PAC 12 and/or Big 10, and Big 12 disintegrates. SEC may take a western school from B12 and also take WVU for geographic balance.
Well, if uofl had went to the b12 instead of us, we were set to replace maryland

They have to stash cash due to the enormous debt they took on relative to facilities. If the TV revenue declines significantly, they won't have the cash flow for debt service. Smart move by your AD to create the raining day fund, Luck overspent.
Learn your investigative skills from cnn?

south Carolina sells out over 80,000....wvu is much lower capacity which impacts ability to pay. they can't offer enough and don't want to.

That has been my argument to people I talk to. WVU is lucky to get 60,000 weekly, it's not like they are lucrative enough to just pay people for the fun of it. The Big 12 money is good, while it lasts, but it's not like they have other monies rolling in the coffers.

That has been my argument to people I talk to. WVU is lucky to get 60,000 weekly, it's not like they are lucrative enough to just pay people for the fun of it. The Big 12 money is good, while it lasts, but it's not like they have other monies rolling in the coffers.
Ummmmm Big 12 money is somewhere between 35-40 million..........so 60+ million is coming from somewhere..........

Ummmmm Big 12 money is somewhere between 35-40 million..........so 60+ million is coming from somewhere..........
I mean while it lasts as in while the Big 12 lasts..

WVU is hoarding cash knowing that possibility is going away, point being they don't want to pay us 2 million to play a game that means nothing. Responding to that comment

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Well, if uofl had went to the b12 instead of us, we were set to replace maryland

"We"? You didn't even go to wvu.

No, you were not set to replace Maryland. Maryland has infinitely better facilities than you do and are in the AAU...its in fact one of the major deciding factors in getting in.
wvu wouldn't even sniff an acceptance into AAU and thus, not an invite from the Big 10. Plus, MD and Rutgers damn near have gone broke (cutting sports programs among other AD-related things) just to get in.

...and you somehow infer that wvu is going to have an easier transition or would do better?!??!
LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT