ADVERTISEMENT

Gee No Mention of DD

Are you really a Marshall fan?.How can you tell so much about a team that has played only one game? How do you know how bad or good Queens college is yet?

There's no comparison and it's cult level superfandom rationalization to even attempt to draw a comparison.

GameMarshallKentucky
1Queens CollegeHoward
2Tenn TechDuquesne
3Little MiamiMichigan State
4Coppin StateSC State
5Chicago StateGonzaga
6Morehead StateNorth Florida
7AkronBellarmine
8OhioMichigan
9DuquesneYale
10Robert MorrisUCLA
11UNC GreensboroFlorida A&M
12ToledoMissouri
13Glenville StateLouisville
And check the daily Scoreboards here in Week ONE and you'll find that most of the 13 OOC foes have ALREADY suffered DEFEAT, some by large margins.

For Danny D.'s 2022-23 Team, a veritable "Murderers Row" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you really a Marshall fan?.How can you tell so much about a team that has played only one game? How do you know how bad or good Queens college is yet?
You must be new to sports... And that's okay.

Queens College just moved up from Division II (this is their transitional year) meaning they have a DII roster, filled with DII players and play in a DII arena. They have moved "up" to the worst conference in Division I and are picked to finish 10th in said conference. Their head coach is currently suspended due to DUI... To be nice, there is absolutely nothing that says Queens College is going to even be respectable, let alone "good" this season.

While Marshall is certainly not Kansas, Kentucky, UNC or any other blue blood... MU has more resources than Queens College. We have a roster of Division I players, play in a Division I arena, in a mid-level (16th out of 32 last year in RPI) Division I conference. The expectation is that after being absolutely terrible last season, Marshall should improve (at least incrementally) this season. So to open the year with a loss to a school with a DII roster is bad... To be nice, there is absolutely nothing that says Marshall is going to even be respectable, let alone "good" this season.

Last year our basketball team was terrible.

The answer was to make the schedule even weaker than previous seasons to artificially inflate the win total this season.

By the end of the year our schedule will be ranked in the 300's (out of 360)... The SBC is/will be somewhere between 16-18 (out of 32 leagues) in conference RPI.

2022-23 is the DD retirement tour... Lets go 20-10 and send him off into the sunset with a gold watch and all the Herd t-shirts he can carry... Give him some made up title like "Director of Basketball Development" and keep him around the program to shake hands and greet boosters.

What's really sad is this is more of DD doing it, or influencing the schedule, than football could.
He won't even try to take on a challenge...oh right, when he did, he got steamrolled.

You must be new to sports... And that's okay.

Queens College just moved up from Division II (this is their transitional year) meaning they have a DII roster, filled with DII players and play in a DII arena. They have moved "up" to the worst conference in Division I and are picked to finish 10th in said conference. Their head coach is currently suspended due to DUI... To be nice, there is absolutely nothing that says Queens College is going to even be respectable, let alone "good" this season.

While Marshall is certainly not Kansas, Kentucky, UNC or any other blue blood... MU has more resources than Queens College. We have a roster of Division I players, play in a Division I arena, in a mid-level (16th out of 32 last year in RPI) Division I conference. The expectation is that after being absolutely terrible last season, Marshall should improve (at least incrementally) this season. So to open the year with a loss to a school with a DII roster is bad... To be nice, there is absolutely nothing that says Marshall is going to even be respectable, let alone "good" this season.
I am almost 83 years old and been a Marshall fan since I was five years old ..I know more about sports than you probably ever will..I could be wrong about Marshalls team this year but I will be there fan no matter what and putting them down where players and possible recruits can see what you say of them after one game is detrimental to the program.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
I am almost 83 years old and been a Marshall fan since I was five years old ..I know more about sports than you probably ever will..I could be wrong about Marshalls team this year but I will be there fan no matter what and putting them down where players and possible recruits can see what you say of them after one game is detrimental to the program.
The players and potential recruits understand that losing to Queens College is not an acceptable outcome.

Being a Marshall fan doesn't mean you have to embrace blind faith in a team/program that is desperate need of significant changes... As an aside, we should introduce you to Perkins some time. I think you guys would hit it off.

So the fans - in your opinion - who express a negative view of the men’s basketball team is “detrimental to the program.” Hogwash. The program has been detrimental to Marshall University and a change in coaches is way past due. JMO and I’m 76 and have seen only a few less teams than you and I support Marshall athletics but at this point a change is necessary.

So the fans - in your opinion - who express a negative view of the men’s basketball team is “detrimental to the program.” Hogwash. The program has been detrimental to Marshall University and a change in coaches is way past due. JMO and I’m 76 and have seen only a few less teams than you and I support Marshall athletics but at this point a change is necessary.
The first game of the season does not define the outcome of the whole season.DD is a good coach with a team that once again does lack depth but I am confident this bunch of players will improve as a unit as the season progresses.

The players and potential recruits understand that losing to Queens College is not an acceptable outcome.

Being a Marshall fan doesn't mean you have to embrace blind faith in a team/program that is desperate need of significant changes... As an aside, we should introduce you to Perkins some time. I think you guys would hit it off.
We shall see how all this pans out over the course of the whole season not just one game and if I am wrong then I will admit it.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The first game of the season does not define the outcome of the whole season.DD is a good coach with a team that once again does lack depth but I am confident this bunch of players will improve as a unit as the season progresses.
Opinions

I got my BS @ Marshall...my MBA at Queens. I believe the Royals are going to defeat a lot of teams in their 2400-seat gym. The place (white out) was electric Monday night during their debut as a Div. 1 program...BTW, a really nice turnout by HERD fans [a neighborhood of close to 100 folks].... Queens has many past Division II Basketball Championships, they have nice off-campus baseball & soccer facilities [lots of Bank of America $$$$ supports the private University]...and they out-recruited the ACC, SEC, and Big 10 to attract a lot of local North Carolina All-Americans that played at Charlotte, Greensboro private & public high schools.............. ***I still don't understand why MU's coaching staff won't run some clock when up by 10-points with under 3-minutes remaining. The 1-point loss (83-82) should have never happened!!!!

Last edited:
I got my BA @ Marshall...my MBA at Queens. I believe the Royals are going to defeat a lot of teams in their 2400-seat gym. The place (white out) was electric Monday night during their debut as a Div. 1 program. Queens has many past Division II Basketball Championships, they have nice off-campus baseball & soccer facilities [lots of Bank of America $$$$ supports the private University....and they out-recruited the ACC, SEC, and Big 10 and got a lot of local All-Americans that played at Charlotte private & public schools.....
I remember the Cam being electric our first game playing in the new facility. Our home games in the Huck days, packing in 8-9 K every game, it was awesome. When you move up and/or start winning big, it takes fan excitement to another level.

I remember the Cam being electric our first game playing in the new facility. Our home games in the Huck days, packing in 8-9 K every game, it was awesome. When you move up and/or start winning big, it takes fan excitement to another level.
In days after the CAM was opened, including during Huck's time I believe, the true capacity, before it was "remodeled", if that's what it was called, the place easily held 10,000+. Actually held more, IIRC, than facilities like Cassell Coliseum at VA TECH, a former Big East member and now an ACC program. Believe our highest one game attendance is listed as around 10,500 or thereabouts back in those days. The old "Big Butterfly", as old Ernie S. dubbed the place, could really rock in those days, in games like with WVU (remember Charlie Jones' mom singing the National Anthem?), Wake Forest, Marquette, etc.!!

Unfortunate, BOTH the City of Huntington and MU basketball have been in an overall downward turn since then, IMO!!

In days after the CAM was opened, including during Huck's time I believe, the true capacity, before it was "remodeled", if that's what it was called, the place easily held 10,000+.

The original design held 10,250. The floor was this linoleum-like substance that several bigger teams were going to including Tennessee and NC State. The lower bowl retracted and they could use the place for general PE stuff, there was an indoor track and/or lots of extra courts under the stands.

The problems were that the concrete cracked and the seats would get stuck. Eventually they decided to just leave them in the out position and MU sued, and won, money from the seat company and the concrete company, which paid for the remodel.

I recall starting in 1967......Marshall hosted the MUIT (Marshall University Invitation Tournament)...and the inaugural field had Virginia, Manhattan, and Bowling Green; the following year squads from Miami (Fla), Yale, Maryland; year three Xavier, NYU, Oklahoma; 1970 brought Mississippi, Holy Cross & Iowa State; in 1971...St Johns, Rhode Island, Mississippi State; the following season Baylor, Princeton, Florida State...the Tournament ended in 1991 with a field of South Florida, Wyoming & Oral Roberts. Lots of tournaments were forming and no longer was Huntington an attractive city to spend late November or early December. Today, I wish our decision-makers could re-invent the MUIT...YOUR THOUGHTS?

I remember attending several MUITs during my time in Huntington. The old Field House was packed when Marshall made the championship game. Not so much when we didn’t.

……Renamed the Marshall Memorial Tournament starting in 1971. It was just a fantastic atmosphere!! The triple OT game vs nationally ranked St Johns stands out for me. MMI

Reactions: greengeezer
The Marquette game and that come back win was the loudest I have ever heard the Cam. Even more so than the WVU games

DD has not proven to be a consistent winning coach and more lucky to be truthful. Brother
Mike would be different as a proven NBA winner. Mike replaces DD who retires or becomes Mikes assistant. That looks to be the future as Danny was a place holder for Mike.

• Haha
Reactions: The Real SamC
DD has not proven to be a consistent winning coach and more lucky to be truthful. Brother
Mike would be different as a proven NBA winner. Mike replaces DD who retires or becomes Mikes assistant. That looks to be the future as Danny was a place holder for Mike.
NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND. I HERD through the grapevine, brother Mike has ZERO interest in being a college coach. I think he is still a consultant for the Pelicans. Mike claims he would not enjoy babysitting 18-23-year-old players--- (1) making sure they are attending class (2) going to recruits' homes & promising their Mom or Dad he would serve as a "father" figure to their sons. Just two reasons! I predict if DD does not produce a Sunbelt championship this season...he may be forced to retire (he is 75) and help find his replacement. We all know that Dan LOVES Marshall and would sweat Blood in her behalf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT