ADVERTISEMENT

Geezer

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I spent the first half of my day in Laguna Beach browsing a few art festivals, because ya' know, wealthy. You showed some interest in my previous art purchases, so I thought I would share some of today's haul with you.

This one I purchased. Hard to tell in pictures, but the middle of it is inches deep. The surface is flat in the front, but the glass design is deep inside the cube. It's difficult because my design style in this property isn't modern/glass, so I have to put this stuff in my primary bedroom:

This was from the same artist, and again it's hard to tell, but the "guts" of it was a view really deep into the sculpture. It really looked like an eye, and it appeared there was a small camera deep inside (which there wasn't):

This one was unique, but I didn't get it:

The next three pictures are work of one really talented older woman. Her husband was there, so I talked to him for a bit about how she does it:

This is one that I bought. It is woven glass, which I wasn't familiar with before. Again, not this property's interior style, so this one will be hidden in a bedroom:

These animals were made with wood and leather, as seen in the second picture:

Some of these got up into the mid five-figures:

$25k:

The festivals run every day of the week until September 1st. They are all open air (covered over your head) with tons of live music, wine, food, and a beautiful outdoor theater for what is rumored to be a great show at one of them.

Laguna Beach, besides being known for extreme wealth and many beautiful beaches, is also known as an art haven. There were a million other artists and sculptors. One guy owns a toy company, all handmade stuff, and I bought some cool games from him. There are a lot of painters/photographers, but I usually don't get into that kind of art.

Reactions: greengeezer
Gee whiz that's boring stuff. I'm headed to Blackberry to watch chicken fights..Blackberry is where the hatfields and mccoy's had their first fight.

Waste of money unless you can find another dummy to pay double the price than you did or maybe one is acting like they think the rich act and the other acting as if he likes what he thinks rich people like. Pathetic

You have some unusual pieces. I especially like the faces. I have advised several people on art purchases and I simple tell them to buy what they like. My own philosophy is to have pieces that no one else has. I browse in obscure little shops and many of my prized works are from local or unknown artists.

Many people don’t have the means (you do) to pay sky high prices for art. Even if they do, it is usually a poor investment. For example, I have a colleague who came back from a California trip with a large $25000 photo of a tree done by some semi known artist in that area. My friend thinks he is going to keep it for a few years and then sell the work for a large profit. Not going to happen. It is a nice work, but who in WV is going to buy a 25K tree photo unless the artist becomes a house hold name?

Here is one of my favorite drawings. A local farm kid did it out of boredom. Took him weeks and he went through a pack of fine tipped markers. It fascinated me so I gave him $20 bucks for it.

You have some unusual pieces. I especially like the faces

Agreed. The faces is my favorite one. I'd actually love to have it.

My second choice, would be the fish. Really nice.

Third would be the gears.

I like them all though.

Third would be the gears.
Several years ago, my niece and her husband gave this to me for a Christmas present. It came as a kit with dozens of laser cut wooden pieces that you had to punch out and assemble. Took days.

Since then, I discovered the same company makes many different gear kits. I ordered a moving horse, but haven’t started on it yet. Most prices are below $40.

Reactions: 30CAT
rifle,

They have these at the beach flea market. Thought you might be interested. They have some good used fishing gear and a chiropractor moved in as well. Might give you an adjustment to help with your rheumatism.

images

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderCat98
Several years ago, my niece and her husband gave this to me for a Christmas present. It came as a kit with dozens of laser cut wooden pieces that you had to punch out and assemble. Took days.

Since then, I discovered the same company makes many different gear kits. I ordered a moving horse, but haven’t started on it yet. Most prices are below $40.

Where do you get them? That's pretty cool.

Like I stated, the first one was a gift. Several different companies make these. I just received this one recently for a birthday gift. The company is ROKR.

Some pretty cool puzzles. Will definitely be looking into these. Thanks!

Reactions: greengeezer
I can see why rifle was fascinated by the very first one pictured. It's hand blown.

This is a great thread. I am always fascinated by the creative efforts of humans and the art a person showcases in his/ her home tells me a lot about the occupant. For example, that six foot painting of Elvis on velvet hanging over the couch tells me conversation with the owner might be limited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT