ADVERTISEMENT

George Washington kicker

Jan 1, 2018
I wish I would have taken a shot every time the broadcasters mentioned App States field goal kicker being from GW (he was injured and not playing btw) Keith Morehouse and Mark Martin be better. One time, maybe twice!?!? but it was ridiculous! Good W, I’m confused with the QB situation but let’s keep winning!

Last edited:
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I wish I would have taken a shot every time the broadcasters mentioned App States field goal kicker being from GW (he was injured and not playing btw) Keith Morehouse and Mark Martin be better. One time, maybe twice!?!? but it was ridiculous! Good W, I’m confused with the QB situation but let’s keep winning!
Hughes is very good. We recruited him heavily, too.

Of all the issues with mark Martin and the broadcast that's what you bitch about?!?!
Keith needs to slide to his right boot mark martin and get Chad in as the color guy

CP isn't likely to do the job, but Morehouse would be a far better PxP choice than MM.

Even if Martin limited his commentary regarding players' high school and college backgrounds, his delivery is lifeless, the timbre of his voice is unpleasant, and how some he pronounces some syllables indicate "hick".

The overall production was much better than last week. At least the down, distance, time & score were almost always correct on the broadcast banner. There wasn't a shaking camera incident.

Besides Mark Martin introducing everyone at the stadium, I thought this team was average, which was about five times better than what we've been getting. Carl Lee? I hate to hate on a former player. He's probably a great guy. But man is he a bad color guy.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Obviously they would know best. I just remember we did offer him and our staff was surprised when he popped for App State.
The impression I've gotten from several conversations that it was one of those deals where we thought because he was local that we didn't have to put on a full court press. His mom told me that App's HC talked to Michael a lot more and more often than Doc did.

I mean it happens. Coaches have to appropriate their time to the recruits accordingly. Just sucks to lose a local kid and one that is really solid. Kicking has been far too suspenseful here the last several years.

We've missed on so many kickers over the years, it's not funny. About as bad as QB's. Until we make it a priority, we'll continue to be very inconsistent in that department. As far as recruiting local kids, I know for a fact Doc didn't recruit many very hard - that's why they ended up at WVU, App and other places.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
We've missed on so many kickers over the years, it's not funny. About as bad as QB's. Until we make it a priority, we'll continue to be very inconsistent in that department. As far as recruiting local kids, I know for a fact Doc didn't recruit many very hard - that's why they ended up at WVU, App and other places.
WVU doesn't do a great job at it either. That's why the top players in this state over the last several years have went out of state. Their fans have the same complaints as ours.

I guess both staffs just don't think they have to recruit the local kids as hard as they do the out of state kids. That their love of the state and the school should be enough. Sadly they are often mistaken.

As far as kickers go, hardly any staff really puts a focus on them. I have never understood why. Kickers can have just as much influence on a game's outcome as any other player on the field and having a dependable kicker from 40+ allows you call your offense a lot more comfortably.

I guess I don't get it, if I were a G5 head coach, kicker would be my top five scholarship players. Just think, in our game the other day, Verhoff scored nine points, that's a lot of contribution. Against WMU, it was about the same, and had he made the 40x yarder, it would have been more. Imagine getting points every time you get to the 35 yard line of an opponent, that's big.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT