ADVERTISEMENT

Glad the adults are in charge

What's the answer, let the robots drive the trucks?

I respect the hell out of whoever can do it though. I know I can't. Tried when I was 21 and chickened out. There's no way in hell now. Wouldn't pass the physical probably. Even if I did, way too nervous. Nerves couldn't take it at all. I'd just run the truck into the first wall I found to get it over with.

Respect and wishing that diesel wasn't $4.11 a gallon is the best I can do.

Correct me if i am wrong on this Raoul, but the biggest problem with the supply chain is regulations on the trucks in Cali. IMO he could pick up the phone and call Newsom and say hey how bout you left the sanctions for the next 90 days until we can get a handle on this. I am pretty sure the kids at Chick fil A could get things moving faster that what has been happening.
That is a part of it and some of those regulations (like empty trailer stacking heights) have been waived for a while. But it’s not nearly as easy as removing regulations and everything snapping back.

Some of it is truckers not thinking what they would get paid is worth it and the companies not wanting to fork any more money over. That tends to eventually balance out but we’re in the waiting part of “eventually” right now.

Some of it is a basically unavoidable result of a huge backlog created by a lot of people being out sick.

Some of it is that money that would’ve normally been spent on vacations and restaurants was instead spent on webcams and blenders (etc, of course), increasing the amount of stuff that needed shipped relative to the overall economy. If a shipping company looked and saw economic activity would be down, pulling a number out of my ass, 50%, they may have cut their planned shipping 50%. It didn’t work out that way.

Some of it is that containers are in the wrong place. China shipped way more containers than normal to third world countries with masks and other PPE stuff. Those counties aren’t shipping containers full of stuff back.

So there are some regulations that were rolled back that helped and there might well be more that ought to be, but there’s no magic bullet single solution here.

Reactions: ohio herd
The truck regulations about emissions have been on the books since 2008. That's not why there are problems today.

I don't know what the lifespan of a local rig is, but for OTR a 2008 truck is past or at the end of lifespan.

In the past I have linked some articles on why we don't have enough truck drivers. I think that's a much bigger issue if we are discussing trucks. We've managed to turn what was once a great career into a shit job...like a lot of jobs in this country. Read this:

https://www.usatoday.com/pages/inte...ebt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/
that is crazy. Glad the truckers are winning these lawsuits

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT