ADVERTISEMENT

Good win: Some observations however

I can't recall but how many 1 yard to go running plays were ran from the shotgun?
Another reason to dislike offenses like ours. You turn a simple run play into a 10 yd disaster. The rpo is tough when you get into the red zone and short yardage because everything is being ran 10yds behind the line of scrimmage. But they are finding ways to win and actually growing the past few games. If they keep it up I might actually call them a real offense. Great TEAM win. Go Herd!

You need one yard. The offensive line has some struggles. When you run outside you have the chance of a lineman reaching out and grabbing a jersey. Running it up the middle has been solid for us all season long. Last night they stopped it. It should have worked. But didn’t.
Hahahahahahhahahhahahh how many 3 and outs have we had this year?

Reactions: Jartard
Hahahahahahhahahhahahh how many 3 and outs have we had this year?

well. Three and outs aren’t what we are talking about. It is running up the middle. Laborn averages 5 yards per carry with that being primarily what we do. So clearly it has been effective. But then again I don’t know anything about the game. So you are probably right as always.

I was extremely proud of the way Marshall’s players played yesterday. Played with a ton of heart and grit. Saw a belief the entire game that they were going to get it done through any means, instead of hoping to win, which is a credit to the players and the entire staff especially Huff as he is the leader of the ship.

From watching his play calling and scenes on Last Chance U, Trickett gets too cute with the play calling instead of running what works. There was no need to run that double reverse after the recovered kickoff by Dainsus Miller. Stick with what works. Montgomery and Gammage were balling yesterday and Fancher did a great job on the read options. Stick with the plan.

Miller deserves a huge shoutout as he made three huge special teams plays, recovering that kick, the blocked punt in the end zone plus had a solo tackle as the next to last guy back on another return. Marshall’s STs (in terms of kick coverage and punt return) was shaky but they stayed in the game. Shadeed Ahmed deserves a S/O for that blocked punt.

Defense played fantastic in my mind. Trickett and the offense, for how explosive they were at times against App State, put the D in a bad spot quite a few times but the D bailed them out nearly every time. I think the Mountaineers only had one long, sustained offensive scoring drive all game. They have really played well to great all year outside of the Bowling Green contest.

well. Three and outs aren’t what we are talking about. It is running up the middle. Laborn averages 5 yards per carry with that being primarily what we do. So clearly it has been effective. But then again I don’t know anything about the game. So you are probably right as always.
We go three and out because our play book has been run up the middle botched screen left or right run up the middle. I think you’re a fairly intelligent person so I’m starting to think your just a short little troll that doesn’t belief half the stuff you type

I was extremely proud of the way Marshall’s players played yesterday. Played with a ton of heart and grit. Saw a belief the entire game that they were going to get it done through any means, instead of hoping to win, which is a credit to the players and the entire staff especially Huff as he is the leader of the ship.

From watching his play calling and scenes on Last Chance U, Trickett gets too cute with the play calling instead of running what works. There was no need to run that double reverse after the recovered kickoff by Dainsus Miller. Stick with what works. Montgomery and Gammage were balling yesterday and Fancher did a great job on the read options. Stick with the plan.

Miller deserves a huge shoutout as he made three huge special teams plays, recovering that kick, the blocked punt in the end zone plus had a solo tackle as the next to last guy back on another return. Marshall’s STs (in terms of kick coverage and punt return) was shaky but they stayed in the game. Shadeed Ahmed deserves a S/O for that blocked punt.

Defense played fantastic in my mind. Trickett and the offense, for how explosive they were at times against App State, put the D in a bad spot quite a few times but the D bailed them out nearly every time. I think the Mountaineers only had one long, sustained offensive scoring drive all game. They have really played well to great all year outside of the Bowling Green contest.
I really like how Miller is coming along so far, dude had an insane list of offers (24 P5 offers) and seems to be an absolute dawg so far. He should contribute next year in the secondary with all we lose.

Reactions: Kevin Colley
I really like how Miller is coming along so far, dude had an insane list of offers (24 P5 offers) and seems to be an absolute dawg so far. He should contribute next year in the secondary with all we lose.
Agree 100 percent. Him and Daytione Smith have played great.

Reactions: 120050143
I think the only thing anyone wants is security when our offense takes the field that we are more often than not going to put points on the board and more TDs than FGs. I haven't had that total feeling since 2014. But I could have been the OC with Cato and Shuler on the roster.

I know we take pride in our run game, but it's clearly taking a toll on our depleted RB corps. Why not line up on 3rd/4th and short and leak a TE out of the formation and hit him with a pass a la APP in 2020 against us. That was a fkn brilliant call by Tony Petersen and it would have been a TD if not for our hero Brandon Dreighton.

The offense needs to be more creative. And we have won in SPITE of the offense, not because of it. Now, that seems to be shifting more towards neutral, but not there yet.

According to HERD play-by-play radio guy, Steve Cotton, on some of those failed 1 yard rushing attempts by the HERD, Appy had NINE or TEN guys on the line on a couple of them!
I noticed that also... 3rd and short, or 4th down, and App was putting at least 9 in the box. If MU went with the full house backfield ASU would have 10 in the box because the boundary corner would have no one to cover.

Laborn is a beast, and he has been phenomenal for us all year, but you can tell that he has some physical ailment (shoulder, ribs, something). In hindsight, handing him the ball 30-35 times a game for four straight games probably wasn't a great idea. Over the next two weeks we are going to need Payne and Turner to step up and take some carries. IMO, those short yardage situations where you are trying to get one yard by running into a wall and pushing the pile should go to Payne the rest of the year. Save Laborn for more of the read option open field running.

I think we are still constrained by the inconsistent play of the Oline. It all starts there. They have been able to play a little better, but they are still challenged. Due to this, Cam gives us the best shot at QB to win despite his ability. He is more mobile and is a "threat" to move in the pocket or run if the protection breaks down. In run blocking the oline has shown little ability to get to the next level and block LBs or assist on the edge downfield. Run plays off tackle or sweeps are damn near impossible because of this. "Up the middle" is the best shot for running and laborn's 5yard avg shows it.

With this said, I am proud of this team. They are a scrappy bunch. Do not give up, and it really appears they are in the fight TOGETHER for 60mins. They encourage each other on the sidelines. In watching them, it appears no one has given up on the other. A refreshing change from teams past and an improvement from even last year where there were let downs at critical times.

The defense is the strength of this team. I do believe that, as frustrating as it is sometimes, the coaching staff plays to that strength and allows them to take over the game or play in order to protect the lead. The defensive side of the ball has the most experience in the coaching staff and it shows.

I certainly hope to see some coaching changes offensively this offseason. Regardless, we need to finish strong the next two weeks. 8-4 would be a much better finish than where I thought we were headed a few weeks ago.

According to HERD play-by-play radio guy, Steve Cotton, on some of those failed 1 yard rushing attempts by the HERD, Appy had NINE or TEN guys on the line on a couple of them!
Yes... that was embarrassing for sure. After the game, I went outside the stadium and lined up in front of a brick wall and smashed myself into it....the wall won, so that play sucks.

I think we are still constrained by the inconsistent play of the Oline. It all starts there. They have been able to play a little better, but they are still challenged. Due to this, Cam gives us the best shot at QB to win despite his ability. He is more mobile and is a "threat" to move in the pocket or run if the protection breaks down. In run blocking the oline has shown little ability to get to the next level and block LBs or assist on the edge downfield. Run plays off tackle or sweeps are damn near impossible because of this. "Up the middle" is the best shot for running and laborn's 5yard avg shows it.

With this said, I am proud of this team. They are a scrappy bunch. Do not give up, and it really appears they are in the fight TOGETHER for 60mins. They encourage each other on the sidelines. In watching them, it appears no one has given up on the other. A refreshing change from teams past and an improvement from even last year where there were let downs at critical times.

The defense is the strength of this team. I do believe that, as frustrating as it is sometimes, the coaching staff plays to that strength and allows them to take over the game or play in order to protect the lead. The defensive side of the ball has the most experience in the coaching staff and it shows.

I certainly hope to see some coaching changes offensively this offseason. Regardless, we need to finish strong the next two weeks. 8-4 would be a much better finish than where I thought we were headed a few weeks ago.
if we end 8-4 there wont be any changes in the staff, unless they choose to go on to greener pastures.

BTW why do you worry about the OL getting up on the next level? They would do well to block the first the level!

The HERD needs to remain focused and win out against the two Georgia schools remaining on the schedule. Going forward, the prognosticators see Marshall playing a Bowl game at Myrtle Beach in December against old nemesis FAU....we just can't seem to get rid of that CUSA folks!!!!! Another opportunity will be in Dallas in December with Wyoming.....Since I live near Myrtle Beach...I opt for the Myrtle Beach Bowl played on that ugly-ass carpet at Coastal.

if we end 8-4 there wont be any changes in the staff, unless they choose to go on to greener pastures.

BTW why do you worry about the OL getting up on the next level? They would do well to block the first the level!
Just my two cents, as I have no glue just how bad the Herd OL truly is, but you could replace the Herd OL with the Michigan OL, and not have a bunch of success, if the defense doesn't fear the passing game. It's difficult to run when you have more bodies defending the run than you do blocking for the run. I'm guessing that's what's happening in Herd games, with teams utilizing maybe six or seven defenders in the block.

With that said, the Herd has a golden opportunity to go 8-4, which just a mere three weeks ago would have seemed unattainable. They'll have their work cut out for them at GSU, but I see the Herd is favored by 4.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just addressing why we dont have a different run play than up the middle, that some keep inquiring about. I thought my comments were fairly easy to comprehend.

We scored 21 and gave up 14 if you take out both special teams TD’s. Still not exciting AT ALL, and incredibly predictable. The up the middle stuff can be seen from a MILE away. They load the box, and we just run it for no gain just for sh!ts and giggles. Run something off tackle in those situation, a play action pass, hell even a bootleg. No creativity on the offensive side of the ball.

We scored 21 and gave up 14 if you take out both special teams TD’s. Still not exciting AT ALL, and incredibly predictable. The up the middle stuff can be seen from a MILE away. They load the box, and we just run it for no gain just for sh!ts and giggles. Run something off tackle in those situation, a play action pass, hell even a bootleg. No creativity on the offensive side of the ball.
I found the game exciting. Both teams played hard and we actually played decent on offense. Step in the right direction. Hopefully we continue to grow. We shall see

Just addressing why we dont have a different run play than up the middle, that some keep inquiring about. I thought my comments were fairly easy to comprehend.
when you have a shotgun side car set up, its really the only play you can run. Yes you can try a quick pitch to that side, or the long sweep/outside zone, but they usually get blown up, no matter who is running the play, pros or college.
If you want different runs, then put the QB under center, and the back behind him. I think that would lend to Cam's strength, and help our OL. Look how GB ran it yesterday, and their OL is worse than ours (in relative terms)

Prime opportunity to run play action. A couple of those had Gammage on an island in 1-on-1 coverage with no safety help as they were down in the box. Fake the darn handoff and hit Gammage over the middle.

You'd think as many times as they did that to us we would have learned it.

Last edited:
Prime opportunity to run play action. A couple of those had Gammage on an island in 1-on-1 coverage with no safety help as they were down in the box. Fake the darn handoff and hit Gammage over the middle.

You'd think as many times as they did that to us we would have learned it.
...heck, we have a TE that rarely sees the ball too. 1 yard to go....Perfect opportunity in those situations to find his big ass one on one with a LB.

33 and 304, you guys ought to surely realize that by now Huff, his OC, and perhaps the whole offensive staff at MU would rather chew and swallow ground up glass than to throw quick slants and other passes to the MIDDLE of the field!!

• Haha
...heck, we have a TE that rarely sees the ball too. 1 yard to go....Perfect opportunity in those situations to find his big ass one on one with a LB.
Of the 180 passes caught only 19 of them have been caught by the TEs.

I wonder how often Stacey Marshall Jr thinks to himself, "why on earth did I transfer here?"

Devin Miller - 16 rec, 110 yards, 1 TD
Toby Payne - 2 rec, 27 yards, 1 TD
Stacey Marshall Jr - 1 rec, 6 yards

Well..:: sir…. It continues to work. You said it doesn’t put us in position to win games. Clearly, over the last four games, you are not correct.
I agree.. winning 3 out of the last 4 in a bigger conference than we are certainly not used to, and on the back of a really good defense. In my opinion the play calling is accurate because we can still win on our defense unless we do things like take shots downfield all game and turn the ball over. I swear some of our fans would rather look good on TV and get media exposure than they would win games. "As long as they talk about Marshall on TV a lot then I'm ok if we lose!"

Of the 180 passes caught only 19 of them have been caught by the TEs.

I wonder how often Stacey Marshall Jr thinks to himself, "why on earth did I transfer here?"

Devin Miller - 16 rec, 110 yards, 1 TD
Toby Payne - 2 rec, 27 yards, 1 TD
Stacey Marshall Jr - 1 rec, 6 yards
He's on the field alot blocking. Have you ever considered he's happy playing a lot and happy doing what is best for the team (in this case right now blocking) rather than individual stats?

Not so sure about that. Franklin basically called him publicly out for being unprepared in our loss to Bowling Green.
Saw the press conference. I guess you could take it that way. Seems he's gotten several PSU players here. Don't recall any from Bama. That was my point, i guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT