ADVERTISEMENT

Green.....

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
had arguably his best outing of the season last week. Made plays (TD!) with his feet, better accuracy on his throws, moved around outside the pocket when he had to. Obi for sure helped out a ton being back on the field. Even the INT wasn’t poorly thrown, the defender made a hell of a play on the ball. All good things heading into pivotal road game this week. I can’t see this as anything other than a beat down coming for Charlotte....

Great post about IG. He has not come along quite as fast as many hoped, but lately he’s showing something. Now we need some consistency. Charlotte should not be a trap game if we are a championship team... they have made strides on offense, but are very mediocre. We should win comfortably if not easily.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I know you can’t take plays away per say. But take three plays away from the middle game (I know they cost us the game) and he has been very good since Cincy.

Still only one career CUSA loss as a starter.

Last edited:
My biggest knock on Green early in the season was that we were running a ton of RPO plays and he would never keep the ball... Basically that does two things – Gets your running back killed and allows the defense to ignore you as an "option."

The last 3-4 games we have been running less RPO plays (about the best move I have seen Cramsey make this year) and when we do run them, IG has kept the ball once in a while to at least keep the back side defender honest.

IG is never going to be Lamar Jackson, but he has to keep the ball some to open up running lanes for Knox and Evans.

As far as this week being a trap game, I think our defense is going to come out fired up. Lambert feels like he got a raw deal in Charlotte and I think our guys are going to play hard for him this week.

The last 3-4 games we have been running less RPO plays (about the best move I have seen Cramsey make this year) and when we do run them, IG has kept the ball once in a while to at least keep the back side defender honest.

Bingo, although I was glad to see Green finally start running the ball last week, because I think it had an immediate effect on the defense. Also, Green is an overall solid athlete and he did a good job when running the ball. My only concern with him running is the possibility of him getting injured.

Stat of the Day - Rushing Attempts

Rakeem Cato
2011 57
2012 57
2013 99
2014 94

Isaiah Green
2018 45
2019 85 (in progress)

There are many things you can criticize about Green - he is clearly not as good of a passer as Cato was - but willingness to run with the ball shouldn't be one of them. He's overcome that hurdle much earlier in his career than Cato did, possibly owed to the fact that Rakeem was 85lbs and constructed mostly of wet napkins and sawdust.

My biggest knock on Green early in the season was that we were running a ton of RPO plays and he would never keep the ball... Basically that does two things – Gets your running back killed and allows the defense to ignore you as an "option."

IG is never going to be Lamar Jackson, but he has to keep the ball some to open up running lanes for Knox and Evans.

As far as this week being a trap game, I think our defense is going to come out fired up. Lambert feels like he got a raw deal in Charlotte and I think our guys are going to play hard for him this week.

I think you're referring to Zone Read plays, not RPOs. I don't think Green is "reading" anything, though. Watching him closely, his eyes and footwork are consistent with a predetermined keep. Cato did the same thing, usually just near the goal line. But to your point, the QB runs do keep the defense honest. It would be even better if he did read them, but pulling every now and then - even when he's wrong - will prevent the edge defender from crashing down and blowing up the inside zone.

We do still run a few RPOs, but Green hasn't proven to be very good at reading those either, so Cramsey has called less of them as the season has progressed.

I like that they are honing in on what he is good at and to play to his strengths. He is very young and should get better at reading defenses and having more options the offense in the best situation.

Good for him for progressing as the season has gone on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT