ADVERTISEMENT

Hambone twitters Beer sales coming....

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
and that pass outs will still be available too at least for this coming season.

Personally I agree this is the best solution for now. Until he has the money and time to widen the areas and possibly get a plan in place for larger crowds to remain sequestered to have forced people to stay could have been a disaster. My take he needs to build that nice brick and black metal fence out to the end of the stadium and all the way to the IAF. Put in picnic tables some big screens and make it a nice venue. If word gets out, hey Marshall games are a nice place to go to have a beer watch a game and socialize we may finally get the in state casual non college attending fan to come.

Mmmmmmmmmm beer. :)

I thought that it was interesting that he didn't make his announcement until near the close of season ticket sales. Some may not have chosen to renew if they knew beer sales would be included.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I thought that it was interesting that he didn't make his announcement until near the close of season ticket sales. Some may not have chosen to renew if they knew beer sales would be included.

I said this is what he would do is wait until season tickets were renewed so as to not deter those from renewing.

Allowing pass outs is a mistake though. Will significantly cut into beer revenue and eventually people will just accept it as the norm. Oh well. At least we have beer now.

Are people really of the opinion that the amount of people inebriated on any level is going to change drastically with selling alcohol at the stadium? Because this doesn't really change much of anything on that level. The people that are coming to the games drunk are going to come to the games drunk. They're not going to get to the game, then hammer 12 stadium-bought beers and start fires around the stadium. People tailgate and enjoy themselves however they want.

In the last 2 seasons, I've never seen anyone acting a drunk fool such that it caused anyone problems. Hell, I showed up to games on various levels of inebriation regularly and never saw or caused any trouble. This is just an extra revenue stream for the school.

Are people really of the opinion that the amount of people inebriated on any level is going to change drastically with selling alcohol at the stadium? Because this doesn't really change much of anything on that level. The people that are coming to the games drunk are going to come to the games drunk. They're not going to get to the game, then hammer 12 stadium-bought beers and start fires around the stadium. People tailgate and enjoy themselves however they want.

In the last 2 seasons, I've never seen anyone acting a drunk fool such that it caused anyone problems. Hell, I showed up to games on various levels of inebriation regularly and never saw or caused any trouble. This is just an extra revenue stream for the school.

+1 good post

After the vendors take their cut, WVU has made about $500,000 a year on alcohol sales since enacting beer sales in 2011. If our fans drink at a proportional pace, we're looking at less than $175,000 a year in revenue. It would be disappointing to lose the convenience of being able to leave and return in exchange for such a meager increase in the athletic budget.

But that is the way of Marshall sports these days. Budgets have increased, spending has increased, ticket prices have increased - the only thing that hasn't increased is the level of competition.

After the vendors take their cut, WVU has made about $500,000 a year on alcohol sales since enacting beer sales in 2011. If our fans drink at a proportional pace, we're looking at less than $175,000 a year in revenue. It would be disappointing to lose the convenience of being able to leave and return in exchange for such a meager increase in the athletic budget.

But that is the way of Marshall sports these days. Budgets have increased, spending has increased, ticket prices have increased - the only thing that hasn't increased is the level of competition.

:rolleyes:

So being able to grab a beer and some chips and return for 20 min is worth the athletic dept losing almost 200k?? No way. Especially since large numbers never come back.

So being able to grab a beer and some chips and return for 20 min is worth the athletic dept losing almost 200k??
Well, its not really losing until you have it, but....yeah. Totally.

A big part of what makes Marshall fun is its accessibility. When the day comes that Marshall doesn't get half its athletic funding from institutional support and student fees, then I'll be cool with them mucking with the fan experience just to try to squeeze an extra 0.5% into the budget.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Great move. The 0.03% that object will fall away. Bye.

- We need to change the back side (the IPF side) with a paved area where the wall of the IPF is the back wall of the ticketed area. Entrances need to be at each end of that. Some TVs, some tables.

- We need to work SOME similar area in on the front side, without decreasing parking. This will be smaller, of course, but people will choose appropriately what side they want to sit on.

- Then we can ban pass outs.

- The Cabell County Commission needs to N O W, for THIS fall get Sunday morning beer sales on the local option ballot. We do not need to wait for the 17 or 18 schedule to come out, have some network tell us to play on a Sunday and then have a "crisis" . Get it done now. It would pass 80-20.

- We need to sign with ONE beer distribution company. Bud or Miller-Coors and ask for substantial sponsorship money.

Well, its not really losing until you have it, but....yeah. Totally.

A big part of what makes Marshall fun is its accessibility. When the day comes that Marshall doesn't get half its athletic funding from institutional support and student fees, then I'll be cool with them mucking with the fan experience just to try to squeeze an extra 0.5% into the budget.

good news! less than half of our revenues for 2014-15 came from institutional support and student fees, so i guess you're cool with them "mucking the fan experience"

We need to change the back side (the IPF side) with a paved area where the wall of the IPF is the back wall of the ticketed area. Entrances need to be at each end of that. Some TVs, some tables.

Indeed, a simple addition of a black rail fence with brick would do nicely to add to the look of the stadium, the flow and the use of that space. If I'm Marshall I drop the grass between the stadium and the IAF and pave or better put brick pavers in the entire side. Add your beer stands and 3 to 4 60 plus inch LCD TVs and an area to sit. Maybe add an outdoor grill area for brats etc. I feel a better game day environment may draw in the casual non college attending fan.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I think the entire end zone needs an overhaul. It needs to be rebuilt to match the brick of the stadium, reduce the seating capacity, add a beer stand and a party deck, and install restrooms underneath. Just my opinion.

Great move. The 0.03% that object will fall away. Bye.

- We need to change the back side (the IPF side) with a paved area where the wall of the IPF is the back wall of the ticketed area. Entrances need to be at each end of that. Some TVs, some tables.

- We need to work SOME similar area in on the front side, without decreasing parking. This will be smaller, of course, but people will choose appropriately what side they want to sit on.

- Then we can ban pass outs.

- The Cabell County Commission needs to N O W, for THIS fall get Sunday morning beer sales on the local option ballot. We do not need to wait for the 17 or 18 schedule to come out, have some network tell us to play on a Sunday and then have a "crisis" . Get it done now. It would pass 80-20.

- We need to sign with ONE beer distribution company. Bud or Miller-Coors and ask for substantial sponsorship money.
I don't see the County Commission getting approval of Sunday morning beer sales for a VERY occasional noon time Sunday game at the Joan. Gosh it would be terrible if they couldn't start selling beer until kickoff.

Also keep in mind, WVU does NOT allow pass outs and they sell more beer because of it. How many people are going to pay $7 for a beer when they know in an hour or so they can get one from their cooler in the parking lot?

I don't see the County Commission getting approval of Sunday morning beer sales for a VERY occasional noon time Sunday game at the Joan. Gosh it would be terrible if they couldn't start selling beer until kickoff.

410480389e96bf9f2dde0de99b6c027ad6a0d7c0.gif

Reactions: andy4theherd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT