ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion about Marshall Gameday

KellyGreenAlumni

Green Buffalo
Sep 13, 2011
Opinion:

The state of Marshall Football: Where are we, and where are we going?

I love we are in a new conference. It has reignited my spirit towards the Thundering Herd, and made me take a look around the conference at our new foes. Without knowing, I started to feel a sense of unfamiliar territory. Marshall to me, goes back to the Pennington, Leftwich days. I was a toddler, attending MU games when Youngstown St. came to the Joan, and so on. I’m not very old, 35. I feel like I’ve seen the really good, and the really bad. No need to go over the really bad. I’ve traveled to one big away game every year; Tennessee, Ohio St. (Nugent Kick), Leftwich broken leg, Florida Atlantic, Georgia, ect. I have see so many different campus. The experience of the stadiums sets apart most of these schools to me with the crowds, the bands, the atmosphere. It’s electric.

If you’ve read this far, I can only assume you care about the Marshall program. Which leads me to the topic of this thread.

I have many things I would like to see change at the Joan in order to make this team have sellout crowds once again. This is not impossible, guys. I know this because I’ve already been to our new conference foes’ venues. Why are we a bigger school, with more history in football and barely filling the stadium?

In my opinion, it’s the experience. The way the Marshall Home games are now, they feel like a FCS game, or even worse. A high school game. From terrible sounds, which they’ve never fixed. To installing a massive jumbo tron screen that shows 25% of the game and 75% advertisements. We’ve had the same kickoff song for over a decade. It’s horrible by the way. (Remember, Opinion) They play television commercials over the PA. The food is really sub-par. We can drink inside now, that’s cool.

After going to these other programs, its shows how bad and far behind we are. New turf will be nice, and things have improved.

Our stadium needs an immediate and massive overhaul.. Compare our stadium and experience to those only in the SBC and ask yourself where we stack up. Watch a gameday experience there, look for the difference. I love the Herd to death, but as a diehard fan … they really need to try to draw fans like myself, and new young fans to WANT to go to the games. In my opinion, seems easier to just watch the Herd on TV until they make a try to improve the Gameday Experience.

If you think that experience is a team that only wins, See the Cato days when we were undefeated and couldn’t fill the stadium half the year.

Suggestion:

Close off the endzone and remove the old green bleachers. Create a type of Indoor/outdoor bar restaurant to watch the game and have a drink. I’ve seen some table style end-zone seats in my day. Put those on the grass part below the concourse walk area. Creating this new area would force more people into the seats, making it look full. If we begin to sell more season tickets down the road, we can then think about adding more seats to the stadium. The whole stadium needs better seating. It needs a paint job. Needs better bathrooms, concessions, places to watch the game from elements. Parking should be addressed. Hire a professional sound person, doing music and announcements. Why not put the students on the first five rows of the away side of the stadium? Would look better for television?

We’ve got plenty of places to create shuttle rides to the games and better ease of parking. It sounds like a lot, but people will not pay good prices, or show up for old busted up, common cars... I hope that analogy fits there. Its 2022, the recruits see these things too. Invest in the players, Invest in the fans, and they will invest in you.

I have many more ideas, although I have a hard time framing them in a medium sized post.

I think the previous administration lost sight of the fans, and the experience. I look forward to the first game this year, in hopes we see something different. If not, seems like another year of Marshall Football.

TLDR: Marshall needs a major facelift.

Reactions: redsfan5590
Well, one thing you said was greatly inaccurate. We are 12th of 14 schools in the Sun Belt in terms of enrollment. Only Coastal (10K+) and ULM (8K+) are lower and we are barely above Troy (13K+). Marshall is one of the SMALLEST FBS schools enrollment-wise. We do so much more with less. Both Marshall's alumni and the Huntington population is aging and the youth (generally speaking) don't give a crap about college football.

The end zone seats are coming down. That is no secret. The ONLY thing that solves attendance is winning,. I don't care what you do to try to get kids involved. The fans will avoid a pretty stadium as easily as they will a crap hole if the team is not good.

You want no advertisements? Who will pay for the jumbotron then? It's under contract. Or the new sound system you want?

I think most want nice things too, but far easier said than done.

Opinion:

I love we are in a new conference. It has reignited my spirit towards the Thundering Herd, and made me take a look around the conference at our new foes. Without knowing, I started to feel a sense of unfamiliar territory. Marshall to me, goes back to the Pennington, Leftwich days. I was a toddler, attending MU games when Youngstown St. came to the Joan, and so on. I’m not very old, 35. I feel like I’ve seen the really good, and the really bad. No need to go over the really bad. I’ve traveled to one big away game every year; Tennessee, Ohio St. (Nugent Kick), Leftwich broken leg, Florida Atlantic, Georgia, ect. I have see so many different campus. The experience of the stadiums sets apart most of these schools to me with the crowds, the bands, the atmosphere. It’s electric.

If you’ve read this far, I can only assume you care about the Marshall program. Which leads me to the topic of this thread.

I have many things I would like to see change at the Joan in order to make this team have sellout crowds once again. This is not impossible, guys. I know this because I’ve already been to our new conference foes’ venues. Why are we a bigger school, with more history in football and barely filling the stadium?

In my opinion, it’s the experience. The way the Marshall Home games are now, they feel like a FCS game, or even worse. A high school game. From terrible sounds, which they’ve never fixed. To installing a massive jumbo tron screen that shows 25% of the game and 75% advertisements. We’ve had the same kickoff song for over a decade. It’s horrible by the way. (Remember, Opinion) They play television commercials over the PA. The food is really sub-par. We can drink inside now, that’s cool.

After going to these other programs, its shows how bad and far behind we are. New turf will be nice, and things have improved.

Our stadium needs an immediate and massive overhaul.. Compare our stadium and experience to those only in the SBC and ask yourself where we stack up. Watch a gameday experience there, look for the difference. I love the Herd to death, but as a diehard fan … they really need to try to draw fans like myself, and new young fans to WANT to go to the games. In my opinion, seems easier to just watch the Herd on TV until they make a try to improve the Gameday Experience.

If you think that experience is a team that only wins, See the Cato days when we were undefeated and couldn’t fill the stadium half the year.

Suggestion:

Close off the endzone and remove the old green bleachers. Create a type of Indoor/outdoor bar restaurant to watch the game and have a drink. I’ve seen some table style end-zone seats in my day. Put those on the grass part below the concourse walk area. Creating this new area would force more people into the seats, making it look full. If we begin to sell more season tickets down the road, we can then think about adding more seats to the stadium. The whole stadium needs better seating. It needs a paint job. Needs better bathrooms, concessions, places to watch the game from elements. Parking should be addressed. Hire a professional sound person, doing music and announcements. Why not put the students on the first five rows of the away side of the stadium? Would look better for television?

We’ve got plenty of places to create shuttle rides to the games and better ease of parking. It sounds like a lot, but people will not pay good prices, or show up for old busted up, common cars... I hope that analogy fits there. Its 2022, the recruits see these things too. Invest in the players, Invest in the fans, and they will invest in you.

I have many more ideas, although I have a hard time framing them in a medium sized post.

I think the previous administration lost sight of the fans, and the experience. I look forward to the first game this year, in hopes we see something different. If not, seems like another year of Marshall Football.

A lot of exciting ideas, here’s my thoughts. Marshall is a small school, in a small city with a high poverty rate. Is what it is, good news is we have little competition against pro sports etc.

believe they’ve already tarped the bleachers and have plans. I would love to see some indoor outdoor boxes there and or a restaurant to be used during and outside of game times. Imagine having a fat patty’s or something built into the stadium that would be really special. Anyways like your ideas and would love to see Marshall grow!

A lot of exciting ideas, here’s my thoughts. Marshall is a small school, in a small city with a high poverty rate. Is what it is, good news is we have little competition against pro sports etc.

believe they’ve already tarped the bleachers and have plans. I would love to see some indoor outdoor boxes there and or a restaurant to be used during and outside of game times. Imagine having a fat patty’s or something built into the stadium that would be really special. Anyways like your ideas and would love to see Marshall grow!
Or something. Please. Or something.

From what Ive been told the Joan is going to look very different in a couple years... Spears has a plan to improve the stadium both from a practical standpoint and from a fan experience standpoint. Both are needed.

Upgraded concession stands with new offerings
A concourse that doesn't make you feel like you are going out to a prison yard via a chain link tunnel
A new "party deck" in the end zone with beer/wine and social area
And yes... Remodeled restrooms throughout

I appreciate the read. Some good stuff.

But i am a little confused on a few things and wonder exactly what you are comparing us to.

If you are only going to big schools each year, then that is not a fair comparison.

I see you listed Akron and FAU and then cited "electric atmospheres." I have to highly question all that.

Then parking. I have had the privilege of going to about every single stadium we have played at over the past 25 years. We are SOOOOOO lucky and downright spoiled around here with parking. We have no idea how lucky we have it. There are a thousand ten dollar spots located across from Smith Hall. Our fans think that is so far away. It is four tenths of a mile from the stadium.

I do think some changes should be made, but to act as if this place needs a complete overhaul in all areas is just not the case.

MU Gameday is what it is.

IMHO,

- Commercials pay the freight. Be they on the scoreboard, the sidelines, or read during the time outs. I don’t pay attention anyway. No one does.

- I’m tired of hearing about the restrooms and all of that. Yes, they could stand a good cleaning, as could the stadium as a whole. But its not so bad as to be a dealbreaker on going to the game.

- MU is hurt by the urban nature of the stadium. Parking is all over. That keeps us from having the one big tailgate lot deal a lot of places have. There is nothing we can do about that. It also hurts us on revenue as much of the parking is in private hands.

- The comments on school size are correct and important. People forget that.

- The end zone has been, as predicted, tarped over. They didn’t pay for tarps just to use them for a year and then tear down the end zone, now did they? Tarps it is. And I am fine with that. This is not baseball where its every day and you need all kinds of distractions like play areas and bistros and bars. Its football. Its 6 times per year. Sit in your seat and watch the game.

- They need to figure out what they want to do. Are we going to play rap “music” or have a marching band, or give out awards to alumni or read commercials or do the We Are chant at the urging of the scoreboard. Too often it is a halfassed effort at all at the same time.

- At the end of the day it all comes down to winning games of significance. Something CH has yet to do. The best Gameday atmosphere is beating good teams.

- The end zone has been, as predicted, tarped over. They didn’t pay for tarps just to use them for a year and then tear down the end zone, now did they?
Yes they did... The tarps may be on for 2 seasons if the demo and rebuild of the end zone takes longer than expected, but the end zone re-do is two-fold... There are structural issues with those metal bleachers and that part of the stadium can be used for something else/new/better.

On the bright side, the tarps can be reused in our half-empty basketball arena once their out of service in the Joan.

I would like to thank you all for reading, I appreciate your comments.

I want to narrow down my thoughts for you. I am comparing our facilities and program to our current conference, and former foes. I attended App State, FAU, Akron, Va Tech, Southern Miss, Ohio, Purdue, Navy, going to ND this year.. I've been traveling to games for 25 years. Big school or small school.. I think we lack the product in comparison.

Yes, I’m quite aware that advertisements pay the bills. These schools here also have advertisements. Playing loud, annoying commercials like I’m at home watching tv, but now I can’t turn them down. Other schools promote them differently. Better. Their entire scoreboard gets used. It’s a more fluid, professional way of marketing. The effects show in and around their stadium.

Electric is the word. This I refer to my most recent Appy* State experience. Very fun, but a tough one-point loss. I remember when Marshall games felt like that. We are allowed to expect that as a fan.

SamC, I disagree with you on your bathroom comment. While you may be tired of hearing about it, far too many folks are tired of using a dirty latrine. It is 2022, where we can expect nice facilities. It doesn’t keep me from going to the games, but it doesn’t help either. I compare our bathrooms to a dirty little league field. This is D-1 College football, with a multi-million-dollar football program.

I like your comment about coordinated sound. This is a must! Having the band trying to play while the announcer and the fans doing the we are chant, just bad. The DJ thing fell through. As it was never actually a DJ. Just a guy standing there with his hands on the knobs. I DJ, I stood behind him. He wasn’t in control.

My parking comment refers to having to park behind a steel mill beside some train tracks where drug users live. I wouldn’t want my family members having to park there. I wouldn’t want yours to either. I went to NC State. That was brutal. So, I understand.

Shuttling home/away fans directly into Huntington’s commerce section is my direction for this. Take out of town fans directly to our restaurants and downtown Huntington experience. Jobs/Profit The idea of a safe trip to a nice place to eat after the game. Makes sense to me.

Marshall’s fanbase is getting younger. I feel like the Athletics departments will have to adapt to that. Forcing 1990’s era ways on 2022 fans it’s a little outdated. Thunderclap, We are Marshall.. I get its tradition and I’m okay with it. Let’s incorporate them more. Let’s listen to them for ideas. I’m open for suggestions.

The Stampede section being directly part of the game would be a great addition, along with them wanting to participate. Cheer’s, Coordinated hand movements, etc. We are… needs some supporting chants. We need more than one. We can leave this up to them.

Comments about the size of school... I get it. Does this mean we just give up? I bet if we closed the stadium parking lot off, brought in a mid-sized concert, and had a fundraiser for MU Athletics. Fans would show up. Remember, they love to drink in this lot.

All in all, the smaller schools seem to be able to get it done with less. We are in a new conference with old rivalry’s brewing. We need to show out! It’s the Herd’s turn to do more with less. All it takes is some innovation. I want to see Marshall prosper. Please don’t lose sight of that. Thanks again for reading and Go Herd!

I want to narrow down my thoughts for you. I am comparing our facilities and program to our current conference, and former foes. I attended App State, FAU, Akron, Va Tech, Southern Miss, Ohio, Purdue, Navy, going to ND this year.. I've been traveling to games for 25 years. Big school or small school.. I think we lack the product in comparison.

Yes, I’m quite aware that advertisements pay the bills. These schools here also have advertisements. Playing loud, annoying commercials like I’m at home watching tv, but now I can’t turn them down. Other schools promote them differently. Better. Their entire scoreboard gets used. It’s a more fluid, professional way of marketing. The effects show in and around their stadium.

Electric is the word. This I refer to my most recent Appy* State experience. Very fun, but a tough one-point loss. I remember when Marshall games felt like that. We are allowed to expect that as a fan.

SamC, I disagree with you on your bathroom comment. While you may be tired of hearing about it, far too many folks are tired of using a dirty latrine. It is 2022, where we can expect nice facilities. It doesn’t keep me from going to the games, but it doesn’t help either. I compare our bathrooms to a dirty little league field. This is D-1 College football, with a multi-million-dollar football program.

I like your comment about coordinated sound. This is a must! Having the band trying to play while the announcer and the fans doing the we are chant, just bad. The DJ thing fell through. As it was never actually a DJ. Just a guy standing there with his hands on the knobs. I DJ, I stood behind him. He wasn’t in control.

My parking comment refers to having to park behind a steel mill beside some train tracks where drug users live. I wouldn’t want my family members having to park there. I wouldn’t want yours to either. I went to NC State. That was brutal. So, I understand.

Shuttling home/away fans directly into Huntington’s commerce section is my direction for this. Take out of town fans directly to our restaurants and downtown Huntington experience. Jobs/Profit The idea of a safe trip to a nice place to eat after the game. Makes sense to me.

Marshall’s fanbase is getting younger. I feel like the Athletics departments will have to adapt to that. Forcing 1990’s era ways on 2022 fans it’s a little outdated. Thunderclap, We are Marshall.. I get its tradition and I’m okay with it. Let’s incorporate them more. Let’s listen to them for ideas. I’m open for suggestions.

The Stampede section being directly part of the game would be a great addition, along with them wanting to participate. Cheer’s, Coordinated hand movements, etc. We are… needs some supporting chants. We need more than one. We can leave this up to them.

Comments about the size of school... I get it. Does this mean we just give up? I bet if we closed the stadium parking lot off, brought in a mid-sized concert, and had a fundraiser for MU Athletics. Fans would show up. Remember, they love to drink in this lot.

All in all, the smaller schools seem to be able to get it done with less. We are in a new conference with old rivalry’s brewing. We need to show out! It’s the Herd’s turn to do more with less. All it takes is some innovation. I want to see Marshall prosper. Please don’t lose sight of that. Thanks again for reading and Go Herd!
Only one thing about your post. Our fan base is largely an older fan base, and not getting younger. I would hope we can grow the small portion of our younger fanbase, we need to. The young ones are tomorrow’s BG members and big donors.

Reactions: herd66
Opinion:

Suggestion:

I hope you are on the "FAN COMMITTEE"

I feel like I’ve seen the really good, and the really bad. No need to go over the really bad. I’ve traveled to one big away game every year; Tennessee, Ohio St. (Nugent Kick), Leftwich broken leg, Florida Atlantic, Georgia, ect. I have see so many different campus. The experience of the stadiums sets apart most of these schools to me with the crowds, the bands, the atmosphere. It’s electric.

Goes on to talk about all the bad of MU's football GameDay experience and what he thinks should be done...which is literally what everyone else has been saying here already.

Some nice ideas and points. Most have already been discussed on here from time to time. I would suggest emailing Spears. He can do more with your thoughts than we can on here......

The ONLY thing that solves attendance is winning,.

Really?
It's not about winning, it's about who MU plays.
MU has had multiple capacity crowds during some of "the most mediocre football in my life" as quoted by plenty of drama queens on this board.

If the crowd, who is supposed to be watching a football game, is instead paying attention to literally everything else, then the stadium needs to sell Focalin or Concerta to the adults...because you're complaining about everything except what you should complain about.

MU is limited in who wants to show up to the Joan on Saturdays, and given the state of college football, it'll be even more difficult.
What sucks is this is not a reality anyone wants to believe, and instead feel a sense of entitlement that MU should entertain them with the Alabama's of the world because Marshall once beat a ranked Kansas State some 20 years ago and beat a 6-6 Clemson on a missed FG.
Even Boise, in their prime, had problems with the P5 coming to that crap blue turf field*

Regardless, MU could be handing out tickets for free to passerbys and they'd still struggle to improve attendance, because u less MU is playing someone they care about, it'll never change.

For a collective who claim such fandom and long time support of MU, it really is telling they care more about who MU plays than just seeing MU play.

*On a side note, it would solidify programs succumbing to money and greed over tradition if Boise were given the option to join a P5 conference but the one stipulation would be, "Get rid of that blue turf."

Only one thing about your post. Our fan base is largely an older fan base, and not getting younger. I would hope we can grow the small portion of our younger fanbase, we need to. The young ones are tomorrow’s BG members and big donors.

Would be nice if the state in general, were better suited to retain the younger generations. WV has lost thousands to other states and being as young as the OP, plenty WANT to stay here but have to leave because the state offers them absolutely nothing to build a career on.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yes they did... The tarps may be on for 2 seasons if the demo and rebuild of the end zone takes longer than expected, but the end zone re-do is two-fold... There are structural issues with those metal bleachers and that part of the stadium can be used for something else/new/better.

On the bright side, the tarps can be reused in our half-empty basketball arena once their out of service in the Joan.

I will say, it would be cool to move those metal bleachers to another venue so they can be used in some way...softball or soccer or something.

MU Gameday is what it is.

IMHO,

- Commercials pay the freight. Be they on the scoreboard, the sidelines, or read during the time outs. I don’t pay attention anyway. No one does.

- I’m tired of hearing about the restrooms and all of that. Yes, they could stand a good cleaning, as could the stadium as a whole. But its not so bad as to be a dealbreaker on going to the game.

- MU is hurt by the urban nature of the stadium. Parking is all over. That keeps us from having the one big tailgate lot deal a lot of places have. There is nothing we can do about that. It also hurts us on revenue as much of the parking is in private hands.

- The comments on school size are correct and important. People forget that.

- The end zone has been, as predicted, tarped over. They didn’t pay for tarps just to use them for a year and then tear down the end zone, now did they? Tarps it is. And I am fine with that. This is not baseball where its every day and you need all kinds of distractions like play areas and bistros and bars. Its football. Its 6 times per year. Sit in your seat and watch the game.

- They need to figure out what they want to do. Are we going to play rap “music” or have a marching band, or give out awards to alumni or read commercials or do the We Are chant at the urging of the scoreboard. Too often it is a halfassed effort at all at the same time.

- At the end of the day it all comes down to winning games of significance. Something CH has yet to do. The best Gameday atmosphere is beating good teams.
Nothing beats winning for drawing a crowd. I go to watch the team, don't care about gameday experience, we can have all the exploding scoreboards other stuff we want but my personal "game day experience" is horrible if we put a deeply flawed team on the field. facing the 2.5 hour drive home if we just piss games away like ECU last year!

Would be nice if the state in general, were better suited to retain the younger generations. WV has lost thousands to other states and being as young as the OP, plenty WANT to stay here but have to leave because the state offers them absolutely nothing to build a career on.
You got that right. Not much to offer sadly

As pointed out. Yes. They are temporary. The endzone seating will be gone.

That’s your opinion, I’m 35 and know a lot of younger people who bleed green my age!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Bleachers gone next year. Spears has some good stuff coming down the pike. Give it time. Dont expect a lot this year but by 2nd year you will see a difference not only in aesthetics but also GameDay atmosphere management like advertising issues, announcements, band, music, etc. Be patient

Really?
It's not about winning, it's about who MU plays.
MU has had multiple capacity crowds during some of "the most mediocre football in my life" as quoted by plenty of drama queens on this board.

I agree with you to an extent. What I mean is that out of conference, absolutely. It's about who Marshall plays. We will fill the stands for a #5 Louisville or a ranked Cincy or even a Purdue. My point was more aimed for conference play. If we lose to App for the next 7 years in a row, it won't matter if they are ranked or not. If we are out of contention for the division, the fan base will become fickle. I don't care what kind of carrot you dangle in front of them. That is all I'm saying.

MU fans aren't going to get up for a Georgia Southern or whomever either. Just like how they wanted MU to go to the AAC or back to the MAC, then complained when we drew them in bowl games, with weeks to prepare to see them, in warm weather.
It'll honestly be no different.
Sure, App State will bring a crowd, and we should too...but that isn't even guaranteed. MU nor wku brought anyone for our games at either stadium and supposedly, they are our rivals from CUSA.

GHMY - App & WKU - apples & oranges. I get your point. The App/Herd rivalry grew deep roots and has stayed healthy even as we didn’t play each other for a long time. The resumption back in ‘20 stoked both fan bases, + last year’s game in Boone = unique interest going forward. So glad to be mates with those guys again! It’s a lot of mutual respect with intense desire to beat the stuffing out of each other!
There are better examples in the FunBelt. App is an outlier……

Opinion:

Suggestion:

Awesome post! I agree with pretty much everything you said word for word. I have made a similar post several times in the past and was shouted down because "we're a small school and ads are how we pay for stuff" or "you don't understand the economics of college athletics" or my favorite "oh yeah, you just come to the game to watch the jumbotron and listen to music! If you cared about the herd you'd watch the game!"

Here is the realization I have come to... It isn't Spears that ultimately will effect change... It's not Brad Smith, Charles Huff, its us as the fanbase. Until we stop being ok with mediocre, things won't change. Hamrick (and our previous ADs) let things go for way too long. And we as fans smiled and said "please sir can we have some more?" We accepted the mediocrity. We accepted that the concourses were never going to be widened, so that anytime there was a decent game walking from one end of the stadium to the other was impossible. We accepted that when you do get into the bathroom you'd be standing in a quarter inch of urine, we accepted there'd be no hot water, that the stadium would never be powerwashed, the goal posts never painted, the lines and logos on the turf never painted, the music never updated, the game day atmosphere dull... we accepted those things and what is worse, we became comfortable with that. And started getting on others who "didn't love the herd as much as us" because they dared point out that they'd rather not listen to the same GoMart ad for the 57th time, or that it doesn't need to be the "dutch miller redzone" it can be *gasp* just the redzone...

The only way it changes is if we demand change and we expect more from our administration. In the past, that hasn't happened. I'm hoping with new administration all around, things will change.

I applied Southern Miss' endzone boxes to the current Green bleachers, Fun take on what could be to come. I'm looking around the league to find what design fits best. If you see an endzone struture you like, drop it in the comments below and I'll try making it so we can dream big together!
[url=https://ibb.co/mH63cVy][/URL]

As far as the endzone goes, and by all means please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t there an issue with the alleyway? I seem to remember when the expansion happened in summer of 2000, they couldn’t get the right of way to the alley. That is why there was zero stadium infrastructure built there, if I recall correctly.

There is not enough space to build much of anything there without the alleyway.

With the alleyway secure, there’s a little more space to play with.

I’m ok with the tarps, just wish it had Giovanni’s pizza on it for sponsorship….

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT