ADVERTISEMENT

Hamrick tweet

Our end zone seats should not be higher than $10. Although an MU person told me two years ago they would rather have less fans at full price than more fans with some discounted tickets. He said discounting tickets devalues the brand. I don't agree with that at all. You have to know your customer and know your market.

I know some think our fans suck but think about this - Boise averaged 32K last year and only sold out their 36K seat stadium once. That city has a population of over 200K and metro of 750K. And it has a MUCH better economy than Huntington.

Our end zone seats should not be higher than $10. Although an MU person told me two years ago they would rather have less fans at full price than more fans with some discounted tickets. He said discounting tickets devalues the brand. I don't agree with that at all. You have to know your customer and know your market.

I know some think our fans suck but think about this - Boise averaged 32K last year and only sold out their 36K seat stadium once. That city has a population of over 200K and metro of 750K. And it has a MUCH better economy than Huntington.

maybe they have access to the numbers of how many tix we've sold at $x over the years versus how many we've sold at $y.

In all the years I've been going to Marshall football games I've heard a lot of reasons from people for not going to games but never because our tickets cost too much.

I like that the ticket office is trying to incentivize fans to buy in advance with discounted pre-sale pricing and promos. I know its a small sample size, but I've noticed my friends that buy single game tickets who already have tickets prior to the game go in almost always. Those that show up without tickets who plan to scalp or buy at the stadium make it in about half the time. They end up staying out in the lots tailgating instead of waiting in line.

Being able to buy single game tickets cheaper in advance and print them at home is a huge deal that I wish we were making more of a big effing deal about. I think it would cut down on the walk-up crowd and get more people into the stadium. I know as silly and obvious as it sounds, people who show up to the game with tickets are more likely to actually go in to the game. So anything we can do to make that easier for people to do is a no-brainer.

A few thoughts! Yesterday I went to GoMart on 5th st hill in Huntington. I noticed on their front sign out by the main road saying (WVU Football Books Have Arrived) Went inside and they are on full display. I know it is possible that the owner could be or is a WVU fan but I work in a mid size family owned business just down the road from this. My Points: I feel Marshall has a serious branding issue. No one from the MU ticket office or MU Marketing has ever reached out to us. Why is that our own University has trouble selling seats? I remember MU had no trouble selling out games when we were dominating the MAC. I think it is time that Marshall needs a good aggressive modern marketing campaign to reach out to our community, local schools, local businesses and begin cultivating partnerships and relationships. Just like our coaches do with recruiting. Its like we are operating in the minor league. Why can't we develop the Joan to become a destination with end zone restaurants and party decks. It would be a small way to start bringing in more people and keeping them in and at the game.

Reactions: ohio herd
A few thoughts! Yesterday I went to GoMart on 5th st hill in Huntington. I noticed on their front sign out by the main road saying (WVU Football Books Have Arrived) Went inside and they are on full display. I know it is possible that the owner could be or is a WVU fan but I work in a mid size family owned business just down the road from this. My Points: I feel Marshall has a serious branding issue. No one from the MU ticket office or MU Marketing has ever reached out to us. Why is that our own University has trouble selling seats? I remember MU had no trouble selling out games when we were dominating the MAC. I think it is time that Marshall needs a good aggressive modern marketing campaign to reach out to our community, local schools, local businesses and begin cultivating partnerships and relationships. Just like our coaches do with recruiting. Its like we are operating in the minor league. Why can't we develop the Joan to become a destination with end zone restaurants and party decks. It would be a small way to start bringing in more people and keeping them in and at the game.

Now, now. Don't you know MU is perfect in every way and that it's us - who are the poor misguided souls. They are poor at marketing and only focus on Huntington and Cabell Co. for the most part. Yeah, you have a billboard or two around Charleston but they seem to concede the other 54 counties in the state to WVU.

Now, now. Don't you know MU is perfect in every way and that it's us - who are the poor misguided souls. They are poor at marketing and only focus on Huntington and Cabell Co. for the most part. Yeah, you have a billboard or two around Charleston but they seem to concede the other 54 counties in the state to WVU.

If everyone donated a dollar to MU athletics every time you complained about marketing, we would have the combined budget of all SEC schools.

If everyone donated a dollar to MU athletics every time you complained about marketing, we would have the combined budget of all SEC schools.

Yup, and I'll continue to complain until they get it right. Hamrick is doing a great job. I even told his father that at the Greenbrier Classic when my wife and I met him on the 2nd hole. He was a volunteer stationed there. But, Mike can't do it all and needs to surround himself with people that know how to build a fan base for the future. I don't think we know how to do that.

Sorry, if that offends but I don't follow blindly. I offer praise when I think its deserved and offer constructive criticism as well. If people can't handle that, they need to put the big boy pants on.

Having been a BG member since 1989, season tix holder about that long, and donated to the Vision Campaign, MU Foundation and Alumni Association; I love my school but know that it can do better and must strive to better every day or get left behind.

Obviously, I'm not the only one that feels that way.

* To say the ownership of Go Mart might be wv fans is the understatement of ALL time.
* We didn't regularly sell out games during the MAC era, or any other era, Royer was head coach when I attended my first MU game.
* If you basically give your product away then it will be undervalued.
* College football live attendance plummeted last year, they have the same problem as the NFL, NASCAR, and all other sports in that the quality of home viewing has become better than being at the arena, especially during bad weather or inconvenient starting times.
* If the temp is 90+ degrees on Sunday afternoon Sept 6th you won't find me sitting in that heat. I've seen plenty of games and won't be sitting in a steam bath just to watch another.

I'd agree, but only due to the Drew Brees years. Otherwise, I can't remember anything about either of them in football.
You are obviously very young....The names Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Leroy Keys and of course Brees are historic Purdue players that had outstanding NFL careers. They led the Boilers to some big wins over Notre Dame, Michigan and Rose Bowl wins over the likes of USC.

Purdue has been often referred to as The Cradle of Quarterbacks. Len Dawson, Mike Phipps, Gary Danielson, Bob Griese, Jim Everett, Mark Herrmann, and Kyle Orton just to name a few. Hard to believe some fans have no sense of college football history/tradition.

i would too, but i'd venture to say the vast majority of our season ticket holders wouldn't.

Would be interesting to note the various price ranges Boise has on its tickets, including prices for the "less desirable" end zone seats. Also, wonder if their athletic dept. offers "mini" season ticket packages, such as 3 game packages, and do they offer such family deals like 4 tickets plus a concession voucher for a certain price.

Purdue has been often referred to as The Cradle of Quarterbacks. Len Dawson, Mike Phipps, Gary Danielson, Bob Griese, Jim Everett, Mark Herrmann, and Kyle Orton just to name a few. Hard to believe some fans have no sense of college football history/tradition.
Totally agree.

Would be interesting to note the various price ranges Boise has on its tickets, including prices for the "less desirable" end zone seats. Also, wonder if their athletic dept. offers "mini" season ticket packages, such as 3 game packages, and do they offer such family deals like 4 tickets plus a concession voucher for a certain price.

not sure about all that, single game tix for them haven't gone on sale yet.

i have 2 east prime season tickets, they cost me $256 per seat and $50 to the bg per seat. similar seats at boise cost $390 per seat and $325-$475 minimum donation per seat. so, i'm paying essentially $51/game there. similar seats at boise would cost me $119/game (minimum).

you can get non-priority ga season tix for $115 at boise. i don't believe you get any priority points, rights to a certain seat, priority in buying post-season tix, etc. our cheapest season tix are $100.

Last edited:
Speaking of youth, it wasn't too many years ago since Marshall would open with teams like Southeast Missouri State, WV Tech, and Howard. Conversely, people have heard of Purdue, a Big 10 school, and it will be a big win for the Herd and will receive some national attention on opening weekend.

Makes me ill to see advertising for WVU in our own home town of MU. Just flat out a slap in the face to Marshall. I hate walking into a store and seeing way more WVU gear available than Marshall and only being a few minutes from the stadium. You would never see that much Marshall stuff anywhere near Morganhole. Apparently people are drinking their kool-aid.

Anyone been on the I-64 billboards lately??

So when you drive in from put of state, you'll see a giant green billboard saying, "Best. Decision. Ever." and MU.
Well, on the front, much more prominently displayed, is "Mountaineers Come First." wvu.

Ugh, I hate that crap...just wanted to take a giant bucket of green paint and splatter it on there.

Don't forget Rod Woodson, Dave Butz and Mel Gray.

http://www.nfl.com/photos/0ap1000000206739
One unique occurrence which I don't believe any other school has been able to match is that for the four year period of 1966 through 1969, Purdue had three runner-ups and one 3rd place finish in the Heisman Trophy voting. Only one player appeared in two different years.
1966 - Bob Griese (2nd) to Steve Spurrier
1967 - LeRoy Keyes (3rd) to Gary Beban and OJ Simpson
1968 - LeRoy Keyes (2nd) to OJ Simpson
1969 - Mike Phipps (2nd) to Steve Owens

One unique occurrence which I don't believe any other school has been able to match is that for the four year period of 1966 through 1969, Purdue had three runner-ups and one 3rd place finish in the Heisman Trophy voting. Only one player appeared in two different years.
1966 - Bob Griese (2nd) to Steve Spurrier
1967 - LeRoy Keyes (3rd) to Gary Beban and OJ Simpson
1968 - LeRoy Keyes (2nd) to OJ Simpson
1969 - Mike Phipps (2nd) to Steve Owens

not as impressive as your list, but pretty damn good for a school our size...

1997 Randy Moss (4th)
1999 Chad Pennington (5th)
2002 Byron Leftwich (6th)

not as impressive as your list, but pretty damn good for a school our size...

1997 Randy Moss (4th)
1999 Chad Pennington (5th)
2002 Byron Leftwich (6th)
You could stack those three up against a lot of "big name" schools and look good.

Brees (4th) finished just ahead of Pennington in 1999 and then was unbelieveably 3rd in 2000 (Weinke & Heuple). Orton was a front runner in 2004 until his injury mid-way through the season. This recent span is the longest Purdue has gone without a player receiving votes since the gap between 1943 (Butkovich 8th)) and 1965 (Griese 8th)

Anyone been on the I-64 billboards lately??

So when you drive in from put of state, you'll see a giant green billboard saying, "Best. Decision. Ever." and MU.
Well, on the front, much more prominently displayed, is "Mountaineers Come First." wvu.

Ugh, I hate that crap...just wanted to take a giant bucket of green paint and splatter it on there.
For a while, that MU billboard was at the Institute (WVSU) exit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT