ADVERTISEMENT

Has Anything Changed?

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
With the departure of Legg and the addition of Cramsey? Where has the preseason excitement gone over the expectations of a new found padding attack? In my view we simply are not very good considering all the players we returned. Yes we have won three games but with terrible offense and questionable defense. Are we going to improve as the season progress?

I do believe I called cramsey “billlegg2.0”

I think cramsey has better play calling abilities from what I’ve seen, but He is so much like Legg we haven’t seen a big difference.....

Runs some misdirection run plays, slant and post routes and not a crazy amout of screen passes is about the only difference..

I thought we would only improve from the Miami game but I think haven’t.

I still have hope we find that next gear and keep the thunder rolling!!! Go Herd!!

Reactions: 31Herd55
I agree that Cramsey's in-game play calling is better.

We simply are not executing for a variety of reasons... Poor QB play and inconsistent (and at times just bad) offensive line play being the biggest factors.

As for the defense, last night was their best showing of the year by far. Gotta find a way to limit the big plays in the passing game but other than that they played well.

Getting pressure on the QB helps to eliminate those big pass plays. We got great pressure early in the game.

I would agree that the play calling is better but execution is poor. Assuming he is healthy I would like to see Green run some more. But if we don’t find a way to run the ball with King, Davis, Anderson (who rarely gets a chance) we are going to struggle on offense. Green isn’t ready to stand back there and sling it 50 times effectively.

MStap you are right - at the end when it counted. The game should never have that close. The defense was questionable all night - except the end. We will need a better effort Friday with MTSU

I don't think the defense is questionable. I think the playcalling is. I so sick of us going to a 3 man rush on 3rd downs. Since Doc had been here I've seen thos happen way too much. He acts like he's scared to death of getting beat deep.

The opposing QB has all the time in the world to throw.

My comment was that we have gone from decent execution of a bad offense to bad execution of a good offense. Those two give you the same basic results.

The bright side is that we can improve our execution and see results. With Legg's offense you needed perfect execution to get results. I believe Cramsey's offense gives a little more margin for error to be successful, but we need the line to improve its run blocking. And it would be nice if Gaines would at least try to block somebody when he is called to do so.

OK Coach Stowers I am open for your take on our defense since you ????? my observation.

We only allowed 61 yards on the ground (our lowest total since playing WKU last year). We created three turnovers. We allowed less than five yards per play (4.6). If you take away the 60 yard pass on the last drive of the game (due to broken coverage), they hardly surpassed 200 yards passing and their yards per play would’ve dropped to 3.7.

Based off those numbers, our defense was anything but questionable.

I thought our Defense showed up ready, compared to the N.C. state game..

They looked aggressive and we definitely did a good job getting pressure on the QB ...

Hope they show up again bringing more thunder and let the paramedics sort’em out!

We only allowed 61 yards on the ground (our lowest total since playing WKU last year). We created three turnovers. We allowed less than five yards per play (4.6). If you take away the 60 yard pass on the last drive of the game (due to broken coverage), they hardly surpassed 200 yards passing and their yards per play would’ve dropped to 3.7.

Based off those numbers, our defense was anything but questionable.
I think the defense did fine, but why would you take away 60 yards on a broken coverage play?

If we are taking away yards then we have to take away the yards green had on the first touchdown, you know busted coverage and all

I don't think the defense is questionable. I think the playcalling is. I so sick of us going to a 3 man rush on 3rd downs. Since Doc had been here I've seen thos happen way too much. He acts like he's scared to death of getting beat deep.

The opposing QB has all the time in the world to throw.

We do this Friday and Stockstill will pick us apart. jmo.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I think the defense did fine, but why would you take away 60 yards on a broken coverage play?
He's not saying forget that it happened. Just simply saying that outside of one fluke play, we pretty much dominated them on that side of the ball.

I did the same thing when discussing my frustration with the offense vs NCST. The long play to Williams definitely happened. They were doubling up/rolling their coverage to Brady. We called a nice play that vacated the deep middle of the field because we knew what looks they were giving us and connected with Williams...did the same thing later in the game with Johnson, but Green lead him too much. Nice plays by the offense vs NCST, but we still sucked. Our defense played really well on Saturday while also screwing up big time late in the game.

This has to be the most depressed 3-1 fan base this side of Blacksburg, and in our case for no good reason.

A bad case of football anhedonia. It seems nothing that is ever going to happen is going to suit some of you.

Yet, this same fan base, many of the same posters, suffer from WVU fan level delusion about the basketball program, and individual players from both sports.

Which is it?

Fact is this team is 3-1 and has a good shot at home against a MTSU team that seems to be the early competiton, having beaten FAU, but which lost to Vandy which needed a miracle comeback to beat I-AA bottomfeeder Tenn. State.

Life is good. Be happy.

I think he played against us twice, but the second time he was impaired by injury (At the Joan I think) and we beat them that year. Could be wrong.

We do this Friday and Stockstill will pick us apart. jmo.

Will never understand it. I can think of so many games where Marshall under Doc has dropped 8 and got burnt. I can recall wvu games and so many other games over the years where they go with a three man rush on a late and crucial 3rd down and pay dearly for it.

I'm not saying to dona jail house break on them, but you better get that QB off of his spot.

I firmly believe there are situations that our play is called from fear instead of aggression or even game flow.

He's not saying forget that it happened. Just simply saying that outside of one fluke play, we pretty much dominated them on that side of the ball.

I did the same thing when discussing my frustration with the offense vs NCST. The long play to Williams definitely happened. They were doubling up/rolling their coverage to Brady. We called a nice play that vacated the deep middle of the field because we knew what looks they were giving us and connected with Williams...did the same thing later in the game with Johnson, but Green lead him too much. Nice plays by the offense vs NCST, but we still sucked. Our defense played really well on Saturday while also screwing up big time late in the game.

Wasn't a fluke play. I am assuming we're talking about the late bomb at the end. Typical defensive playcall for us in that spot. Not a fluke. It was a gift

MStap you are right - at the end when it counted. The game should never have that close. The defense was questionable all night - except the end. We will need a better effort Friday with MTSU

did you watch the game? or listen to it on radio? or even read a recap in the paper?

Will never understand it. I can think of so many games where Marshall under Doc has dropped 8 and got burnt. I can recall wvu games and so many other games over the years where they go with a three man rush on a late and crucial 3rd down and pay dearly for it.

I'm not saying to dona jail house break on them, but you better get that QB off of his spot.

I firmly believe there are situations that our play is called from fear instead of aggression or even game flow.

Agree 100%. The WVU game still haunts me. We rushed three on their last drive mostly and paid for it. The when they went for two, Thumper had a clear path to Smith on a blitz but dropped back into coverage. We know how the story ended. ugh!

The staff needs to quit coaching like pussies.

Exactly right on that rediculous rush 3 cover 8...Doc needs to review the tapes on those plays & have it pointed out to him that it is a defensive move that FAR, FAR favors the offense and greatly hinders our efforts to make the defensive stop.

Come on, Doc...get that fixed !!!

The Company Line says take their good plays out of the stats so we'll appear to be better than what we actually were...but I thought the D played their hearts out.

If we are taking away yards then we have to take away the yards green had on the first touchdown, you know busted coverage and all
The Company Line says don't take out their busted coverage plays...only ours.

In all fairness the DB slipped on his turn in coverage and that allowed the separation, and while Gant was late getting over, he at least made the tackle to save a TD.

This has to be the most depressed 3-1 fan base this side of Blacksburg, and in our case for no good reason.

A bad case of football anhedonia. It seems nothing that is ever going to happen is going to suit some of you.

Yet, this same fan base, many of the same posters, suffer from WVU fan level delusion about the basketball program, and individual players from both sports.

Which is it?

Fact is this team is 3-1 and has a good shot at home against a MTSU team that seems to be the early competiton, having beaten FAU, but which lost to Vandy which needed a miracle comeback to beat I-AA bottomfeeder Tenn. State.

Life is good. Be happy.
The fact is there are some on here that won't be happy until Doc is fired even if he gets back to winning 10+ games per year. They hate him for being a WVU guy, being conservative, and for not being an outgoing person in public.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT