ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Baseball Alum Gets Called Up to the Bigs

Jan 30, 2017
Marshall's JD Hammer, who finished his Marshall eligibility in 2016, was just called up to the Phillies. He was a 24th round draft pick who received just a $1000 signing bonus, so hopefully he stays for a while in the bigs.

It's impressive how many draft picks Waggs has had during his tenure, but it's even more impressive that he has had four or five guys make the big leagues:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...iever-jd-hammer-place-pat-neshek-injured-list

Marshall's JD Hammer, who finished his Marshall eligibility in 2016, was just called up to the Phillies. He was a 24th round draft pick who received just a $1000 signing bonus, so hopefully he stays for a while in the bigs.

It's impressive how many draft picks Waggs has had during his tenure, but it's even more impressive that he has had four or five guys make the big leagues:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...iever-jd-hammer-place-pat-neshek-injured-list
more guys in the pros then Mazey at WVU

I recall J D Hammer being the "darling" of the So Miss Bat Girls during the 2016 CUSA Baseball Tournament. I attended as a guest of the some Eagles fans who had front row seats. The So. Miss Bat Girls asked me to introduce them to JD.....Waggs was not too excited to have JD NOT focusing on the game....he he he he

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

I recall J D Hammer being the "darling" of the So Miss Bat Girls during the 2016 CUSA Baseball Tournament. I attended as a guest of the some Eagles fans who had front row seats. The So. Miss Bat Girls asked me to introduce them to JD.....Waggs was not too excited to have JD NOT focusing on the game....he he he he

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
Sure thing boss

more guys in the pros then Mazey at WVU

That's quite a bit misleading, mostly false, and is a claim I shot down last year.

"Pros" could also refer to guys outside of MLB affiliated teams (independent leagues or overseas baseball). If you're just talking about MLB, Mazey has had 20 players drafted in six seasons. Waggs has had 20 players drafted in 12 seasons.

So Mazey has had as many MLB drafted players in half as many years.

If you're talking about guys making it to the big leagues, which is different than just claiming "pros," then yes, Waggs has had four in 12 years while Mazey has had two in six years.

Both have had a substantial number of guys go undrafted but sign MLB free agent deals.

Believe both Aaron Blair and Kevin Shackelford, pitchers, both played for Waggs and have had brief stints in the majors. Not sure if they are still in the majors or even in pro ball anymore.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Believe both Aaron Blair and Kevin Shackelford, pitchers, both played for Waggs and have had brief stints in the majors. Not sure if they are still in the majors or even in pro ball anymore.

Last I heard both are still rehabbing from surgery but Shack has signed a minor league deal with Cincinnati.

Reactions: oldeherd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT