ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Looks to Portal

Herdmeister

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 18, 2006
Obviously we already know that an offer was made to Abdul Karim Coulibaly from Pitt and we also had an interest in WVU's McCabe, (he wants to play closer his Wisconsin home).
We are looking at 2 or 3 others in the portal ( a guard and PF) and we have an interest in one that has been rumored to be entering soon. IF he enters and and IF we can snag him it will be a good get.

Reactions: KyMUfan
Thanks HM! It’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. This year is for sure a different animal. A few on this board don’t want to hear good news and don’t want to be successful. This transfer portal looks chaotic and will take a while to sort out. I hope it’s just 1 year. Can’t help but think a bunch of players will be left with no where to play.

Obviously we already know that an offer was made to Abdul Karim Coulibaly from Pitt and we also had an interest in WVU's McCabe, (he wants to play closer his Wisconsin home).
We are looking at 2 or 3 others in the portal ( a guard and PF) and we have an interest in one that has been rumored to be entering soon. IF he enters and and IF we can snag him it will be a good get.
From what I've seen of McCabe last year and and this year, he wouldn't help us. He'd be more like a guy that fills space on the last seat or next to last seat on the bench. Dribbles the ball alot, no shot, and no defense.

From what I've seen of McCabe last year and and this year, he wouldn't help us. He'd be more like a guy that fills space on the last seat or next to last seat on the bench. Dribbles the ball alot, no shot, and no defense.
Yeah, if we could cherry pick from WVU's roster for a guard much rather have McNeil, he's from Northern KY and can really shoot the ball.

Do players in the portal sign a new LOI with their new school? Does it then become "binding" when the Spring signing date commences in a little over a week from now, I believe?

Do players in the portal sign a new LOI with their new school? Does it then become "binding" when the Spring signing date commences in a little over a week from now, I believe?
No. They are treated as any transfer. It becomes official on the say they enroll

I know there has also been a lot of discussion of Furman's Noah Gurley. We are high on him but from what I hear the Georgia native is most likely to become a Georgia Bulldog

I know there has also been a lot of discussion of Furman's Noah Gurley. We are high on him but from what I hear the Georgia native is most likely to become a Georgia Bulldog
From what you are hearing Herdmeister, are there any guys that are likely to come to Huntington? Carter from Murray State or the Rebraca kid from North Dakota?

Ain't nobody that can transfer up gonna transfer across or down.
I get a kick out of talk about someone coming here from a higher rated program if they are a major contributor there. Hope reigns supreme; and I hope as well. But these kids are looking for the same thing JW and JW are, more competitive conditions where they'll get noticed.

I get a kick out of talk about someone coming here from a higher rated program if they are a major contributor there. Hope reigns supreme; and I hope as well. But these kids are looking for the same thing JW and JW are, more competitive conditions where they'll get noticed.
Kinsey is getting noticed. Whiteside did as well. If you are good enough, they'll find you.

So West is going to Louisville. I wish him the best. As a Marshall first fan, I just want a game against them next year now so we can have a chance of knocking them off.
Wish him well, and actually anxious to see how well he plays against the 6'3' and taller guards in the ACC; or even if he gets to start. Certainly going to play for a great program and a very good, high quality person coach.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out for him. I wish him the best. In watching Michigan in the tournament, I thought Jared was as good, if not better then their Point Guard, Smith.

So West is going to Louisville. I wish him the best. As a Marshall first fan, I just want a game against them next year now so we can have a chance of knocking them off.

I'll be glad if MU could get games with the same teams we were suppose to play THIS season for $$$: the likes of Xavier, UK and VA Tech! All reasonably close for HERD fans and of good overall regional interest!!

I'll be glad if MU could get games with the same teams we were suppose to play THIS season for $$$: the likes of Xavier, UK and VA Tech! All reasonably close for HERD fans and of good overall regional interest!!
No money games this year. More home games instead Possibly re-establishing the MMI

It won't happen. Dan can't beat anyone within the conference and is terrible against any real competition.

Coulibaly to St. Bonaventure.
Chico Carter to South Carolina
Gurley is going high major

Hope we are after a few more

We already have a Coulibaly, in Obinna. Similar players.

The mention of the MMI that i just read, is a great Easter Present!!! I hope that happens!!

No money games this year. More home games instead Possibly re-establishing the MMI

So who's going to put up significant $$$ to bring in quality teams for the MMI? Unless you can get enough $$$$ for financial guarantees for the other teams, you'll end up with another field similar to the mostly "dog" opponents we saw in the CAM in the Global tourneys we've been in. We see how the Herd under Hammy has been just raising cash hand over fist in the ongoing HERD Rises campaign over the last year or two. MU would be better off spending a little $$ and making efforts to get into one of the better in season, early season tournaments at a neutral site where it could possibly play a couple or so major foes on neutral floors.

Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1
olde is right imo. Most on here are too young to even know the subject! MMI grew out of The Crash, hence the 2nd M -memorial. I think we had some rep, having been to the N.I.T. twice in the previous 5 seasons, then the ‘71-72 team has their magical run, then another N.I.T. invite in ‘73. Plus the natural inclination programs would have due to the reason for creating it in the first place. I was too young to know: It was a pretty well-run event, yes? Christmas/holiday timing, great community support and I imagine funding from several local businesses....
It had a nice run for, I think, about 6 years. Times change, Disco happened & there you go....

olde is right imo. Most on here are too young to even know the subject! MMI grew out of The Crash, hence the 2nd M -memorial. I think we had some rep, having been to the N.I.T. twice in the previous 5 seasons, then the ‘71-72 team has their magical run, then another N.I.T. invite in ‘73. Plus the natural inclination programs would have due to the reason for creating it in the first place. I was too young to know: It was a pretty well-run event, yes? Christmas/holiday timing, great community support and I imagine funding from several local businesses....
It had a nice run for, I think, about 6 years. Times change, Disco happened & there you go....
The Marshall Inv Tournament ran for three years 67-69. Starting, as you said, in 1970 it was renamed the MMI. It ran for many seasons except a 2 or 3 year stretch that had Marshall playing in a Wvu operated event. The MMI restarted about ‘80 or ‘81. I think the MU event under both titles ran about 18 or 19 years. This is how my old and foggy memory remembers.

The Marshall Inv Tournament ran for three years 67-69. Starting, as you said, in 1970 it was renamed the MMI. It ran for many seasons except a 2 or 3 year stretch that had Marshall playing in a Wvu operated event. The MMI restarted about ‘80 or ‘81. I think the MU event under both titles ran about 18 or 19 years. This is how my old and foggy memory remembers.
I remember watching Karl Malone absolutely dominate the year he played in the MMI.

So who's going to put up significant $$$ to bring in quality teams for the MMI? Unless you can get enough $$$$ for financial guarantees for the other teams, you'll end up with another field similar to the mostly "dog" opponents we saw in the CAM in the Global tourneys we've been in. We see how the Herd under Hammy has been just raising cash hand over fist in the ongoing HERD Rises campaign over the last year or two. MU would be better off spending a little $$ and making efforts to get into one of the better in season, early season tournaments at a neutral site where it could possibly play a couple or so major foes on neutral floors.
It is not expected that any power teams will be here. More like the mid majors we have had in the past when we had hosted exempt events

Nice to see DD actually feeling some heat! I think he has about two years left. If he doesn't change the course he will join Doc in a mandatory retirement.

I remember watching Karl Malone absolutely dominate the year he played in the MMI.
Although in Tom Curry’s first game for the Herd, Tom came in and had a vicious dunk over the mailman for his first points as a member of the Herd. Good times

Reactions: KyMUfan
Although in Tom Curry’s first game for the Herd, Tom came in and had a vicious dunk over the mailman for his first points as a member of the Herd. Good times
The paths certainly went in opposite directions.
Malone plowed Jeff Guthrie into the floor boards. I thought 175lb Jeff was dead.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT