ADVERTISEMENT

Herd v WKU

ilmherdfan

Gold Buffalo
Mar 11, 2007
Herd playing a pretty good game tonight. Maybe we can beat WKU in something- won the last 2 against them.

Dantoni made great coaching changes/decisions last night, here are a couple:

1. Took a time out when his team couldn't get itself under control before losing the entire spirit of the game; failed to do this many time this year but didn't fail to do it last night. He, almost to the same words, acknowledged it in his comments after the game when he said he needed to get them to play the same speed regardless of the changes in WKU defense.
2. Played a significant different line up after the time out, went with two bigs and got some control / delay in their interior game. Paid off big time, Penava had some very good minutes during that time.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Justin Johnson is an extremely underrated player in this conference. He's a beast down low while being able to step outside and make some shots.

That's the kind of player we need at our 5. He gets overlooked when people talk about the top players in our league. He brings it every night.

Reactions: goherd13
Dantoni made great coaching changes/decisions last night, here are a couple:

1. Took a time out when his team couldn't get itself under control before losing the entire spirit of the game; failed to do this many time this year but didn't fail to do it last night. He, almost to the same words, acknowledged it in his comments after the game when he said he needed to get them to play the same speed regardless of the changes in WKU defense.
2. Played a significant different line up after the time out, went with two bigs and got some control / delay in their interior game. Paid off big time, Penava had some very good minutes during that time.

I said the same thing about Peneva during one stretch last night. He gets criticized because he will occasionally get out muscled and struggles with his positioning and feet defensively, but there's just no substitute for his length. We were getting beat in the paint and when he came in he disrupted them by causing them to alter their shots. It resulted in several defensive stops and reversed the 14 point deficit giving us the one point lead at the half. He is going to continue to struggle at times, but I really believe that by the time he's a senior he can be a very good player for us. I wish there was a way to sneak in a redshirt year with him.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Justin Johnson is an extremely underrated player in this conference. He's a beast down low while being able to step outside and make some shots.

That's the kind of player we need at our 5. He gets overlooked when people talk about the top players in our league. He brings it every night.
Cline really wanted him out of HS. From what he has told me we most likely could have had him. Unfortunately Herrion didn't want him.
You may have noticed before the game that he and Cline sincerely embraced at the scorers table.

Cline really wanted him out of HS. From what he has told me we most likely could have had him. Unfortunately Herrion didn't want him.
You may have noticed before the game that he and Cline sincerely embraced at the scorers table.
Ugh...sounds about right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT