ADVERTISEMENT

3 teams we owe ass beatings, RANKED!

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Here’s somethings to chew on:
The 3 meaningful non cons on this year’s schedule provide a unique opportunity, the chance at a historic trifecta of revenge, redemption, whatever.
Here they are, ranked:
#3 Virginia Tech
In addition to getting this one-off visit by the Hokies at a time when they are very beatable, a victory by the Herdmen will be the 1st ever over the Gobblers, and I believe 1st ever over an ACC opponent.

#2 East Carolina
Such a unique bond exists between the Herd & the Pirates! That said, we are 0 fer in Greenville, and after last time when we coughed up a lung to lose in Huntington,
it’s way past time to win at their place.

#1 NC State
Well, this one would be especially sweet for us poor souls who witnessed I-AA Marshall push the #12 Wolfpack to the brink of a major upset, only to fall to a perfect onside kick & a 4th and 10 incomplete pass that (gasp!) drew a laaaaaaate flag for “pass interference” from the home cooking ACC refs, resulting in a 15-14 last second loss.
The most crushing defeat I have witnessed as a Marshall fan. We should have a legit shot, and I would love to soak in a big Herd win in Raleigh.
Thoughts?
WS

The 3 meaningful non cons on this year’s schedule provide a unique opportunity, the chance at a historic trifecta of revenge, redemption, whatever.
Here they are, ranked:
#3 Virginia Tech
In addition to getting this one-off visit by the Hokies at a time when they are very beatable, a victory by the Herdmen will be the 1st ever over the Gobblers, and I believe 1st ever over an ACC opponent.

#2 East Carolina
Such a unique bond exists between the Herd & the Pirates! That said, we are 0 fer in Greenville, and after last time when we coughed up a lung to lose in Huntington,

#1 NC State
Well, this one would be especially sweet for us poor souls who witnessed I-AA Marshall push the #12 Wolfpack to the brink of a major upset, only to fall to a perfect onside kick & a 4th and 10 incomplete pass that (gasp!) drew a laaaaaaate flag for “pass interference” from the home cooking ACC refs, resulting in a 15-14 last second loss.
The most crushing defeat I have witnessed as a Marshall fan. We should have a legit shot, and I would love to soak in a big Herd win in Raleigh.
Thoughts?
WS
I thought we beat Clemson with Pennington and the 150 yard scoring drive.

Well, don't ever mention that game in Raleigh within earshot of former MU HC, Jim Donnan, who is a State alum!! Believe that was the most angry and agitated that Coach D was after a HERD game during his Herd tenure!! A clear ream job by the ACC Zebras, for sure!

However, still that game was nowhere near as crushing as the ot loss to a Geno Smith led Chickeneer team in the JOAN when Doc had a serious and ongoing Brain cramp and/or fart resulting in an almost certain cathartic and historic HERD Victory ending up as a crushing and inexplicable DEFEAT!!

Well, don't ever mention that game in Raleigh within earshot of former MU HC, Jim Donnan, who is a State alum!! Believe that was the most angry and agitated that Coach D was after a HERD game during his Herd tenure!! A clear ream job by the ACC Zebras, for sure!

However, still that game was nowhere near as crushing as the ot loss to a Geno Smith led Chickeneer team in the JOAN when Doc had a serious and ongoing Brain cramp and/or fart at crucial crunch time late in the game resulting in an almost certain cathartic and historic HERD Victory ending up as a crushing and inexplicable DEFEAT!!

However, still that game was nowhere near as crushing as the ot loss to a Geno Smith led Chickeneer team in the JOAN when Doc had a serious and ongoing Brain cramp and/or fart resulting in an almost certain cathartic and historic HERD Victory ending up as a crushing and inexplicable DEFEAT!!
olde one - I am sure you are correct. Since I was not in attendance, I didn’t include it.
I obviously must have fallen & hit my head to have not thought of Clempsum, a game I did attend and the greatest feeling I’ve had after the final whistle blew!
Sonny after the backwards, leaning, 2 feet in catch at the 20:
“That’s HUGE!!”
When I look back at the video, I still can’t wrap my head around it! It was magic, plain & simple….

Last edited:
I also remember us with Byron taking the Tarheels to the brink in Chapel Hill. We were driving for a go ahead touchdown late in game when the stadium lights went out.

The made us “finish” the drive with half the lights out only to see the Tarheels get the ball back….lights magically came back on….and they sealed their win after that. Sham.

I also remember us with Byron taking the Tarheels to the brink in Chapel Hill. We were driving for a go ahead touchdown late in game when the stadium lights went out.

The made us “finish” the drive with half the lights out only to see the Tarheels get the ball back….lights magically came back on….and they sealed their win after that. Sham.
Also - seems like just before (during?) the lights fiasco, we had a (I think) punt return going down the sideline for a TD when a flag flew out of nowhere to negate the return….
😡🤬🤯

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Isn't that NCST game the one where Sunny was giving out the names of the refs during the broadcast lol.

Try to stay on topic...

I'm surprised someone hasn't pitched a series or written a book about the ways teams were cheated or screwed out of wins.

How many genuine stories could MU's football team alone have?

olde one - I am sure you are correct. Since I was not in attendance, I didn’t include it.
I obviously must have fallen & hit my head to have not thought of Clempsum, a game I did attend and the greatest feeling I’ve had after the final whistle blew!
Sonny after the backwards, leaning, 2 feet in catch at the 20:
“That’s HUGE!!”
When I look back at the video, I still can’t wrap my head around it! It was magic, plain & simple….

That catch was insane...
Probably my 2nd favorite catch because I didn't witness it live.
My favorite was Dobson's TD against ECU at home.

Here they are, ranked:
#3 Virginia Tech

#2 East Carolina

#1 NC State
Thoughts?
WS

I'd rule out NC State for me since honestly, MU has played them since and the games have been competitive.

Plus that hit on the poor soul returning the ball, probably felt good for older MU fans:

I would put JMU in place of NC State.

Even though we won there last season, their fans have bragged endlessly about how they won the East and how great they are. Nah, they're only great when they aren't playing MU. Definitely a team I wouldn't mind seeing MU pour points on and crush on defense.

Virginia Tech I agree with. I don't hate Wells and don't find him to be horrible, or as bad as those who are bitter about his departure like to feel. Tech is an ACC team, they have notoriety, and a win would give us some recognition.
I wouldn't mind a beat down, but a win over them would suffice.

East Carolina. Yeah, we have a respectful rivalry with them, a history, and both are sadly overshadowed by P5 in state peers thus, have an ax to grind.
But, their fans thumbed their nose up at us when they left for the AAC, we gave them a lovely parting gift in the form of one of the biggest best downs in Doc's tenure.
Since they left, they've been at the bottom of the conference for a while, their finances can't keep up, and frankly, I'd love nothing more than to keep them there as long as they have a program.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Bagging Nc state and VT pelts this year would be a big deal. Ordinarily would prime us for a possible access bowl trip until we would lose two conference games we shouldn’t

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Marshall is 2-11 all-time vs VPI. Marshall beat Virginia Tech in 1939 and 1940. Both games were in Huntington.
Herd was competitive in most recent Tech games in Blacksburg. One could reasonably argue that with just about ANYONE else as the HERD's head coach at those games other than DOC, MU could have come away with Ws!!!

Herd was competitive in most recent Tech games in Blacksburg. One could reasonably argue that with just about ANYONE else as the HERD's head coach at those games other than DOC, MU could have come away with Ws!!!
Well, certainly not the game Leftwich QB’d. We were dominated start to finish.
The 3 (?) OT game comes to mind…..

No we weren’t. We got killed. It was the 2013 game that we went 3ot on we should have won. Great game. Great atmosphere, even in the downpour.

No we weren’t. We got killed. It was the 2013 game that we went 3ot on we should have won. Great game. Great atmosphere, even in the downpour.
Yes we were competitive in the recent game which was played which was scheduled to allow Tech a chance to gain bowl eligibility. It was in Blacksburg. Believe we missed a fairly makeable field goal and also had a chance for another TD which we didn't cash in on. Game was winnable but overall it was a typical MU exhibition of
"Doc Ball".

Yes we were competitive in the recent game which was played which was scheduled to allow Tech a chance to gain bowl eligibility. It was in Blacksburg. Believe we missed a fairly makeable field goal and also had a chance for another TD which we didn't cash in on. Game was winnable but overall it was a typical MU exhibition of
"Doc Ball".
olde - you & I have talked about your cognitive recall issues after midnight!
At the beginning of the 4th quarter, VT was all over us 34-6.
By anyone’s reasonable definition, we were bent over the Hokies knees behind the wood shed getting our assess spanked!
Final score was 41-20.
Care to amend your post?

olde - you & I have talked about your cognitive recall issues after midnight!
At the beginning of the 4th quarter, VT was all over us 34-6.
By anyone’s reasonable definition, we were bent over the Hokies knees behind the wood shed getting our assess spanked!
Final score was 41-20.
Care to amend your post?
You're correct, W-S. Was at that game, but forgot how we had a turnover fest early on giving the Hokies chances for easy scores. Just remember sitting on the sidelines around the 5 yard line at the Open end of the Stadium watching Tech's QB hitting a long TD pass while 3 Herd DBs did a super job of "observing". We did play respectable in the 2nd half, thanks to Brendon (sp) Knox's play; believe he had a 200 yard day rushing. this game was in 2018, IIRC.

Game we were very competitive in was earlier, perhaps in 2014. Do remember Cato was our QB and I recall it was 3 ots or something like that. Game was easily winnable, Doc's coaching, or lack thereof, was the big factor in the L, IMO.

Random thought on ECU:
They open on 09/02 @ Meeech. Expected ass kicking in the Big House. Then they welcome unique rival Herd into Dowdy Ficklin. Should be a great environment!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT