ADVERTISEMENT

How Many More Points

Jon has played 4 years. He missed a few games his first semester because of a preseason ankle injury. His first game was against WVU if I remember correctly

Jon has played 4 years. He missed a few games his first semester because of a preseason ankle injury. His first game was against WVU if I remember correctly
Pretty much. He had to sit out the first semester since he attended VMI. Had to sit out a full academic year after transferring, which was the spring & fall semester. He sprained his ankle right before being eligible, which slowed him down. It took a few weeks to get healthy/knock of the rust.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If Jon is within striking distance (around 20-30 points away) there is no question Hamrick will pay the $50k to host a CBI game so he can break the record at home. There's zero reason not make this happen. Our fans would turn out on short notice to see this incredible accomplishment.

If Jon is within striking distance (around 20-30 points away) there is no question Hamrick will pay the $50k to host a CBI game so he can break the record at home. There's zero reason not make this happen. Our fans would turn out on short notice to see this incredible accomplishment.

;)

Mike will not pay $50k to get this to happen....Mike's job is to enhance and grow the athletic department. Why the hell do you think (much less have available) he would drop $50k for a CBI game????? It took 50 years to possibly get a baseball stadium and you think he will pay $50k for a CBI game? Come on man.....

Reactions: The Real SamC
The team has rebounded to about where the CBI/CIT is a MH decision. I could go either way. It really is not that big a $$ loss.

That's around $2000 per point(giver or take). I don't know that is pretty steep. :)

The $50k payout is not a loss. We get to pay it out of the tickets sold. We will make money on this game. 5000 tickets at $20 is $100k.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Mike will not pay $50k to get this to happen....Mike's job is to enhance and grow the athletic department. Why the hell do you think (much less have available) he would drop $50k for a CBI game????? It took 50 years to possibly get a baseball stadium and you think he will pay $50k for a CBI game? Come on man.....
Everything we've heard is that we will pay for a home game in the CIT if we don't win the conference tournament.

The $50k payout is not a loss. We get to pay it out of the tickets sold. We will make money on this game. 5000 tickets at $20 is $100k.

5000 sold and at $20 per is very optimistic. Remember that students get in "free" (covered by their student fees, nothing in life is really free) and are counted in the gate numbers, so we are really selling about 4K/ game to the general public at way less than $20 per. MH has let about anybody (teacher, government workers, veterans, ambulance drivers, people with a library card) in free for the last two games in an attempt to win the season live gate "championship" over ODU.

I would say if we set a reasonable price of $10 or $15 and $5 for students, we probably are right at the break even line one way or another, which is fine.

He needs 88 points to break. We are guaranteed 2 more games. There are 3 more possible conference tournament games and all indications show we'll accept a CBI/CIT invite. That's 4 more possible games. So, we'll play anywhere from 2-9 more games. How many he'd need to score (rounded to the nearest tenth) for each number of games:
2: 44
3: 29.3
4: 22
5: 17.6
6: 14.7
7: 12.5
8: 11
9: 9.8

I think we end up playing 3-6 more games. He might need at least one more monster game to break it.

We MAKE money on these games.
In the past ticekts have been sold to these games for $20 each. That means we need 2500 souls in the place to break even.

Mike (actually Jeff O'Malley) asked Danny if he wanted to participate. Danny polled the team and the answer was yes.

We MAKE money on these games.
In the past ticekts have been sold to these games for $20 each. That means we need 2500 souls in the place to break even.

Mike (actually Jeff O'Malley) asked Danny if he wanted to participate. Danny polled the team and the answer was yes.

That isn’t breaking even. There are per game costs for the arena and all that happens during a game. That covers the pay to play cost only.

...... now needs 72. 3 games minimum to realistically have a chance. 24 ppg. Setting the school record for scoring would be quite the feat! w/o looking it up, I would have to believe 32 years is the longest someone has held it in school history. Hope he does it!

Reactions: herdinatl
On-line stats show Jon at 2503 points. Chuck McGill has him at 2505. Which is correct? Interestingly, John Taft scored 2332 (?) In only 107 games. He didn't play much his first year, averaging only 10+ pts per game

......another ? for the trivia guys: How rare is it to have 2 players on the top 10 career scoring list on the same team? I’m thinking the 1950’s would be a good place to look.......

......another ? for the trivia guys: How rare is it to have 2 players on the top 10 career scoring list on the same team? I’m thinking the 1950’s would be a good place to look.......

VanHoose and Slay, Taft and Henderson, Bird and Greer all were top 10 all-time scorers on the same team.

To the poster who answered my trivia ? - you typed VanHoose and Slay, Henderson & Taft and Leo Byrd and Hal Greer. Does that list get shorter if I add this qualifier: must both be on the same team AND currently be on the top 10 career scoring list?

That isn’t breaking even. There are per game costs for the arena and all that happens during a game. That covers the pay to play cost only.
true but if we can only get 2500 to a game then we should give up the sport

It shouldn't come down to revenue/expenses. How many people has Jon brought to the Cam over the last 3 1/2 years? I think we owe him at least one more home game to set a new standard.

WVU, BYU, and DI newcomer California Baptist have all paid deposits for the CBI, assuming no miraculous conference tournament results. As WVU would never take such a chance, that leaves the CIT or nothing.

If it is like last year, most first round games are the Monday after selection Sunday, with a couple later in the week against the real tournament. Tough sell either way.

WVU, BYU, and DI newcomer California Baptist have all paid deposits for the CBI, assuming no miraculous conference tournament results. As WVU would never take such a chance, that leaves the CIT or nothing.

If it is like last year, most first round games are the Monday after selection Sunday, with a couple later in the week against the real tournament. Tough sell either way.
12-20 WVU playing in the post season....Come on...WTF

Let’s see..... 70-32.......naught, naught, carry the naught...38 to go!
Elmore was unconscious tonite!!

Allow me to say: if Jon gets the record, Kinsey is the one I could see having a shot to break it.

It has been known from the beginning that we will go to the CIT if we don't make the NCAA. The CBI has never been mentioned.
The team has already voted on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT