ADVERTISEMENT

How much would beating VT change your perception of this season?

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Before we learned of the possibility of playing VT we could have finished 8-3. Most were not happy with this season. How much would beating VT and finishing 9-3 change your perception of this season.

Edit*

Last edited:
Unless I missed something Bleeds, before VT we could finish 8-3. If we beat them we could finish 9-3.

As far as this year goes, if we lose to both FIU and VT we finish 7-5. If we lose to FIU, 8-4. On paper it’s a successful season, but in my opinion, the WAY we lost the three we did is unacceptable considering the team we had returning from last year.

Unless I missed something Bleeds, before VT we could finish 8-3. If we beat them we could finish 9-3.

As far as this year goes, if we lose to both FIU and VT we finish 7-5. If we lose to FIU, 8-4. On paper it’s a successful season, but in my opinion, the WAY we lost the three we did is unacceptable considering the team we had returning from last year.

You're right. I was off by a game. Math!

Interesting question. It’s hard to say 9-3 isn’t a good year. Beating FIU would be our best win of the year and beating Va Tech even in a down year is a good win.

It’s still hard to stomach the MTSU 2nd half meltdown and our offense has been mediocre at its best.

I'd take the win over VT. VT has a reason to win considering their bowl streak is on the line. MU of course, has a reason to win, but for VT its more pressure on them so we're probably going to get a solid effort from them.

Since we are playing the what if game! If we would beat FIU, beat Va Tech and then play in a bowl against a team with a pulse that doesn't play in the MAC and win that game. Finishing with a 10-3 record and yet another bowl win. Well that would have to be considered a good season. As has already been stated we would have still lost games(not counting NC State) that we should have won.
As Michael Jordan famously stated on March 4, 2017, "The ceiling is the roof." These words might be exactly how to sum up the future of the football program as it is currently assembled.
As far as for your actual question my answer if what I stated comes true would be that it is considered a success. My only hope is that we would build off such a strong finish to the season going into next year and see progression from not only the QB position, but more importantly where the offensive play calling is concerned.

Since we are playing the what if game! If we would beat FIU, beat Va Tech and then play in a bowl against a team with a pulse that doesn't play in the MAC and win that game. Finishing with a 10-3 record and yet another bowl win. Well that would have to be considered a good season. As has already been stated we would have still lost games(not counting NC State) that we should have won.
As Michael Jordan famously stated on March 4, 2017, "The ceiling is the roof." These words might be exactly how to sum up the future of the football program as it is currently assembled.
As far as for your actual question my answer if what I stated comes true would be that it is considered a success. My only hope is that we would build off such a strong finish to the season going into next year and see progression from not only the QB position, but more importantly where the offensive play calling is concerned.

same old same old.

bring home a conference championship.

I had us predicted at 8-4 and a ticket in the championship game. I did NOT expect the loss to MTSU. As was said above, are we playing for a championship? No. Thus to me it is a ho-hum year....again

Why do we need to play Va Tech?

Old Dominion beat them by 14.
Herd beat Old Dominion by 22.

I know some of you are using the transitive property of congruence, and automatically see a 36 point win for the Herd.

However, I came up with a formula that obviously shows that Va Tech would be favored by 12 1/2 points.

For those keeping score, my formula is as follows:

You take that 36 point number, and multiply it out by 'pi', divide by 60, which is the minutes played, and then multiply that number by itself 4 times, which coincides with the number of quarters played in a game.

I know some of you are using the transitive property of congruence, and automatically see a 36 point win for the Herd.

However, I came up with a formula that obviously shows that Va Tech would be favored by 12 1/2 points.

You take that 36 point number, and multiply it out by 'pi', divide by 60, which is the minutes played, and then multiply that number by itself 4 times, which coincides with the number of quarters played in a game.
tenor.gif

Before we learned of the possibility of playing VT we could have finished 8-3. Most were not happy with this season. How much would beating VT and finishing 9-3 change your perception of this season.

At the end of the day, CUSA comes down to two things. Can you go undefeated and get the "access bowl" which is, for us, a once in a lifetime brass ring kind of thing, and short of that is is win the division/conference/bowl, because short of the "access bowl" 11-1 and 6-6 = the same contrived bowl games. We did not win the division, but it would be very hard to say that 9-3 with a win on the road over a solid FIU team with two of its 3 losses being to P5 teams; and then on the road over a P5 VPI team that would have beaten UVa and Duke, with only one real bad loss ( 6-6 USM) is not a solid year.

I really see UVa winning on Friday, however. In which case we got a H&H coming in the next decade or so with an ACC team for just signing our name to a contract.

Are we playing for a championship? No.

Technically, yes. MU beats FIU, UAB beats MTSU = MU, FIU, and MTSU tied for the East Championship at 5-2. In that scenario, the round robin is a wash, the division record would eliminate FIU, and then we lose on the head to head. No, we would not make the conference championship, but we would be co-champions of the east division.

This season has been a disappointment. Having a winning record is great but we did not improve on the offensive side of the ball from the first snap of the season.

Reactions: Marine03

Yeah, I’ll buy that spread. Sounds about right.

At the end of the day, CUSA comes down to two things. Can you go undefeated and get the "access bowl" which is, for us, a once in a lifetime brass ring kind of thing, and short of that is is win the division/conference/bowl, because short of the "access bowl" 11-1 and 6-6 = the same contrived bowl games. We did not win the division, but it would be very hard to say that 9-3 with a win on the road over a solid FIU team with two of its 3 losses being to P5 teams; and then on the road over a P5 VPI team that would have beaten UVa and Duke, with only one real bad loss ( 6-6 USM) is not a solid year.

I really see UVa winning on Friday, however. In which case we got a H&H coming in the next decade or so with an ACC team for just signing our name to a contract.

Technically, yes. MU beats FIU, UAB beats MTSU = MU, FIU, and MTSU tied for the East Championship at 5-2. In that scenario, the round robin is a wash, the division record would eliminate FIU, and then we lose on the head to head. No, we would not make the conference championship, but we would be co-champions of the east division.
Co champions of the eastern division. I can see it now. Hang a banner.

And, technically NO we are not playing for a championship even with your scenario.

I'm still working on Bleeds Math.

You all realize that beating FIU on Saturday gives the Herd 8 wins on the season. How many of you realize that the same win against FIU gives us ONE win on the season over a FBS team with a winning record (FIU)? Beating Tech on Dec. 1 would NOT improve that last figure at all!!

Is, therefore, a 9-3 record achieved primarily against run of the mill, mediocre and losing teams something to really get all that excited about?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT