ADVERTISEMENT

Huff said new deal is coming and has no pressure to win

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
- Huff states that talks about his future with the team have been ongoing since early 2022.

- "We've had conversations. We've been talking, since the Notre Dame game, if we're being honest, about what it looks like"

- "There is a plan in-house. We have not announced that plan, but we're not sitting here waiting to say, "OK, if you don't win the championship, then you're gone."

- Huff says that timing has played a role in the lack of any contract annoucement, but that Huff and Marshall's administration have each been working "diligently" to make sure both parties benefit from a new deal, if it comes to fruition."

- "There's timing and things that come with that, and we're trying to be creative with what we want to do, the administration and myself," Huff said.

- "We don't know what college football is going to look like in four years, three years, or two years. We're trying to make sure we put both Marshall and myself in a really good situation so that it's sustainable."

- "It's not about just money for me"

- "There are things in the program that we've got to put in place to make sure we are sustainable and competitive in the conference. some of those things take time to research."

- Huff said he doesn't feel this season will way his future at Marshall and that there's a reaosnable expectation that he returns with a new contract in 2025 based on "undisclosed" conversations he's had with Spears and Smith.

- "NO, THERE'S NOT PRESSURE TO WIN A CERTAIN NUMBE OF GAMES TO GET A NEW CONTRACT, BUT WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE PUT OURSELVES IN A GOOD SITUATION," HUFF SAID.

"We've got a plan, I feel good about that plan, and the fans will hear the plan sooner rather than later."

Certainly don’t get that a new deal is eminent…yes, there’s dialogue and get that both sides are negotiating. What I get from that is Huffis wanting certain guarantees most likely NIL and things he can work with.

If a new deal was close it would certainly be close.

And have to put as positive of a spin on it for recruiting and team wise. Certainly not going to come out publicly and put more pressure on players than there already is.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Certainly don’t get that a new deal is eminent…yes, there’s dialogue and get that both sides are negotiating. What I get from that is Huffis wanting certain guarantees most likely NIL and things he can work with.

If a new deal was close it would certainly be close.

And have to put as positive of a spin on it for recruiting and team wise. Certainly not going to come out publicly and put more pressure on players than there already is.
Huff said they are discussing the new deal and we fans will know sooner than later.

I’m lowering my expectations for this football season. If they still serve Stewart’s hotdogs, I’ll try to be satisfied.

- Huff said he doesn't feel this season will way his future at Marshall and that there's a reaosnable expectation that he returns with a new contract in 2025 based on "undisclosed" conversations he's had with Spears and Smith.

- "NO, THERE'S NOT PRESSURE TO WIN A CERTAIN NUMBE OF GAMES TO GET A NEW CONTRACT, BUT WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE PUT OURSELVES IN A GOOD SITUATION," HUFF SAID.
This is a truly sad statement. A man who is being paid the West Virginia version of a fortune, who did an "unacceptable" job last year, believes, and probably because he has been told so, that he is under no pressure to actually do his job.

Under CH, we have declined every year, and are now picked FIFTH in the division. And he seems to think, and probably been told, that no one in the administration cares if he wins or loses.

This is way more than the, IMHO bad, decision of last year to avoid paying him to go away. This is telling him that what was termed "unacceptable" actually is just fine with CS. Win 3 or 4 games, it doesn't matter.

There are other schools in wealthier states that can be just fine with just fielding a team and really have no expectations of actually competing. West Virginia is not in that position. MU sports, at least football, has to be competitive to matter and to break even or perhaps make a small profit. MU is not some MACer or new mega sized sun belt (small s, small b) state school that can just soak the students to put a losing team out, just so they can say they are a "big time sports" school. A couple more pointless years like CH has turned in so far and the program will be on the verge of being dropped or downgraded.

Fire CS.

Fire CH.

This is a truly sad statement. A man who is being paid the West Virginia version of a fortune, who did an "unacceptable" job last year, believes, and probably because he has been told so, that he is under no pressure to actually do his job.

Under CH, we have declined every year, and are now picked FIFTH in the division. And he seems to think, and probably been told, that no one in the administration cares if he wins or loses.

This is way more than the, IMHO bad, decision of last year to avoid paying him to go away. This is telling him that what was termed "unacceptable" actually is just fine with CS. Win 3 or 4 games, it doesn't matter.

There are other schools in wealthier states that can be just fine with just fielding a team and really have no expectations of actually competing. West Virginia is not in that position. MU sports, at least football, has to be competitive to matter and to break even or perhaps make a small profit. MU is not some MACer or new mega sized sun belt (small s, small b) state school that can just soak the students to put a losing team out, just so they can say they are a "big time sports" school. A couple more pointless years like CH has turned in so far and the program will be on the verge of being dropped or downgraded.

Fire CS.

Fire CH.
Have to agree with Sam on this one. Never less enthusiastic ahead of a fall campaign, and I’m talking 60 years……if a deal is already being discussed, I’m even less so…..
The elimination of hope is the last phase of giving up on a program. The possibility of a change at the top keeps the pilot light on.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a one year extension. Unless he has a super successful season I think it would be a huge mistake to do anything more. I feel he has done a decent job thus far but the key is are we going to be content to be preseason #5 in the East or win a title.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a one year extension. Unless he has a super successful season I think it would be a huge mistake to do anything more. I feel he has done a decent job thus far but the key is are we going to be content to be preseason #5 in the East or win a title.
i've been saying for a while, that if he wins 3 or more games he will be offered an extension .

Well, technically we were worse in 2021 than 2020, so that was a decline. Also, year 3 has always been the measuring stick of when a new coach has the pieces in place and you see what you got. So there’s that.

Well, technically we were worse in 2021 than 2020, so that was a decline. Also, year 3 has always been the measuring stick of when a new coach has the pieces in place and you see what you got. So there’s that.
In all fairness, I think NIL and portal put him at a small disadvantage last year.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
Anybody who doesn't get that the team has been worse each year is just a troll that wants to argue. Every year, worse. And, how much of a comeback is it to say "well, he only failed in the most recent campaign, he was mediocre before that"?

But as to all of this NIL and transfer garbage, it works the other way. In the old days, a new coach had to be given some time to flush the old guy's guys out and bring in better. No longer.

And CH has failed. It is on him.

Fire CH.

Fire CS.

Wrong. As usual. His only decline occurred last year.
'21 7-6
'22 9-4
'23 6-7

Carry on.
In 2021 we finished 2nd in the division and 4th overall.
In 2022 we finished 3rd in the division and 5th overall.
In 2023 we finished 6th in the division and 10th overall.

In 2021 we were 30th in scoring offense, 16th in total offense, and 79th in total defense
In 2022 we were 89th in scoring offense, 57th in total offense, and 7th in total defense
In 2023 we were 102nd in scoring offense, 85th in total offense, and 60th in total defense

So yes. We have declined each season since Huff took over. Defense had one stellar season so give him credit for that, but we have continued to tumble down the conference standings and become further and further removed from the conference championship conversation.

Records are nice, but conference standings mean a lot more and we have been falling like a rock under Huff. That gap he kept referencing keeps getting wider.

In 2021 we finished 2nd in the division and 4th overall.
In 2022 we finished 3rd in the division and 5th overall.
In 2023 we finished 6th in the division and 10th overall.
Records are nice, but conference standings mean a lot more and we have been falling like a rock under Huff. That gap he kept referencing keeps getting wider.
You fail to acknowledge that Marshall moved to a harder conference after the 2021 season. Would you argue that Marshall has gotten worse if in 2021, Marshall went 5-3 in the SEC (2nd place) but then went 5-3 in the Sun Belt (3rd place)? Of course not. Going 5-3 in the SEC is far more difficult than going 5-3 in the Sun Belt. Likewise, going 5-3 in the Sun Belt is more challenging than going 5-3 in C-USA was in 2021.

Reactions: cincyherdfan
You fail to acknowledge that Marshall moved to a harder conference after the 2021 season. Would you argue that Marshall has gotten worse if in 2021, Marshall went 5-3 in the SEC (2nd place) but then went 5-3 in the Sun Belt (3rd place)? Of course not. Going 5-3 in the SEC is far more difficult than going 5-3 in the Sun Belt. Likewise, going 5-3 in the Sun Belt is more challenging than going 5-3 in C-USA was in 2021.
While the SBC is a better conference, it's not so much of an improvement over CUSA that it would cause us to go from the top of one ot the bottom of the other. Spin it how you want it. The SBC isn't so great that we should be struggling just to be in the middle of the pack.

Even if I entertained your theory we still finished 3rd/5th in 2022 then dropped to 6th/10th in 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jartard
We need to do what JMU does, charge 2000K plus, per student, that goes straight to the AD budget. JK.

Or have a good coach like they did (for a smaller salary).
Yep. Plucked him from the FCS ranks. Their current coach as well. They seem to do a great job with their hires in most sports - thorough searches. jmo

Understand that you, and I, are Marshall fans. The poster you are responding to is a troll. He (she?) knows very little about MU football, MU, or football. So he just googled up "stats about Marshall football" until he found something that, on the surface, allows him to yell "wrong". It is what trolls do. Most trolls, at least, have a little knowledge of what they want to argue about. This bozo doesn't even have that. Just some small person who wants to argue nonsense. Probably on 100 boards under different names, arguing with the knowledgeable. Sad really.

Anyone, like you and me, who actually watches the games and follows the program, knows this program has been in decline from the day CH showed up here (hired by a cabal of officious intermeddlers, not the normal process) and announced it was "not a rebuilding" to turning in an accepted "unacceptable" result, this team has been in a steep and steady decline. A decline that will continue this year and until CH and CS are fired and the rebuilding that which CH has destroyed can begin.

• Haha
Reactions: raleighherdfan
Understand that you, and I, are Marshall fans. The poster you are responding to is a troll. He (she?) knows very little about MU football, MU, or football. So he just googled up "stats about Marshall football" until he found something that, on the surface, allows him to yell "wrong". It is what trolls do. Most trolls, at least, have a little knowledge of what they want to argue about. This bozo doesn't even have that. Just some small person who wants to argue nonsense. Probably on 100 boards under different names, arguing with the knowledgeable. Sad really.

Anyone, like you and me, who actually watches the games and follows the program, knows this program has been in decline from the day CH showed up here (hired by a cabal of officious intermeddlers, not the normal process) and announced it was "not a rebuilding" to turning in an accepted "unacceptable" result, this team has been in a steep and steady decline. A decline that will continue this year and until CH and CS are fired and the rebuilding that which CH has destroyed can begin.
He was responding to Rockdog/Banker. He's been a Marshall fan like me for many years. Yet another worthless-WRONG take. Seriously, do you ever get tired of being wrong.

Amazing that you would consider Chad Pennington an intermeddler. Not one real Marshall fan on this board would say that.

Now run along and hide. It's what you always do after being made to look dumb.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Or have a good coach like they did (for a smaller salary).

We need to do what JMU does, charge 2000K plus, per student, that goes straight to the AD budget. JK.
Or better still, in the Big Picture, MU needs to work diligently and non-stop on reversing its continuing enrollment decline/stagnation. I'm sure that is probably Priority #1, or close to it, for President Smith and his Administration.

Currently, believe MU's enrollment, once up around the 16,000 mark, is now below 14,000. OTOH, JMU's enrollment is well North of 20,000, heading towards 25,000, if isn't already there!!

Or better still, in the Big Picture, MU needs to work diligently and non-stop on reversing its continuing enrollment decline/stagnation. I'm sure that is probably Priority #1, or close to it, for President Smith and his Administration.

Currently, believe MU's enrollment, once up around the 16,000 mark, is now below 14,000. OTOH, JMU's enrollment is well North of 20,000, heading towards 25,000, if isn't already there!!
Thankfully MU's enrollment will see a small increase this fall, and they have a reported full amount for student housing. Frankly, I am glad we don't soak students with such a high fee for athletics. I bet 3/4 could care less about sports or even attend games.

- BS is the right guy to run our university. He is doing great things.
- That said, leaving out a handful of unique programs, there is no real reason to drive 100s of miles past your own state's state colleges to attend MU. Thus, the growth in MU enrollment must be based on politicians having the moral courage to padlock most of WV's too many small state colleges.
- The mission of JMU, which is based in one of the wealthiest states in the country (and, considering the Appalachian coalfields extend into Virginia and the Southside is not that prosperous either, and Virginia still comes in in the top 10, that is just how rich Swamp dwellers are) and MU, which serves one of the poorest states in the country, are night and day different. JMU gets some rich suburban Swamp creature children and charges them (actually mommy and daddy and, in most cases, you and me taxpayer, and they will never pay it back) big dollars for mid-major sports. Fine. They can afford that. So can lots of schools in wealthy and growing states. MU is not that. The basis of MU sports has always been the adult fans of the region. Always will be.
- This is based on our unique community and upon MU having, an, at least, competitive team most all the time.

This is why getting CS and CH out of here ASAP, is all that can save MU athletics. We cannot afford to be mediocre. If we are going to turn in token efforts, just move down to the I-AA or D2.

- BS is the right guy to run our university. He is doing great things.
- That said, leaving out a handful of unique programs, there is no real reason to drive 100s of miles past your own state's state colleges to attend MU. Thus, the growth in MU enrollment must be based on politicians having the moral courage to padlock most of WV's too many small state colleges.
- The mission of JMU, which is based in one of the wealthiest states in the country (and, considering the Appalachian coalfields extend into Virginia and the Southside is not that prosperous either, and Virginia still comes in in the top 10, that is just how rich Swamp dwellers are) and MU, which serves one of the poorest states in the country, are night and day different. JMU gets some rich suburban Swamp creature children and charges them (actually mommy and daddy and, in most cases, you and me taxpayer, and they will never pay it back) big dollars for mid-major sports. Fine. They can afford that. So can lots of schools in wealthy and growing states. MU is not that. The basis of MU sports has always been the adult fans of the region. Always will be.
- This is based on our unique community and upon MU having, an, at least, competitive team most all the time.

This is why getting CS and CH out of here ASAP, is all that can save MU athletics. We cannot afford to be mediocre. If we are going to turn in token efforts, just move down to the I-AA or D2.
What do you mean we can’t afford to be mediocre. We have been mediocre to bad since 2005.

If 2005 was mediocre, what do you consider 2004?
Well let’s see we went to a bowl. We played Ohio state and Georgia down to the wire so the record was mediocre but I don’t think the team itself was mediocre.

Honestly you could say we have been mediocre since after 2003 and I wouldn’t argue with you even though we beat Kansas state in 2003.

Well let’s see we went to a bowl. We played Ohio state and Georgia down to the wire so the record was mediocre but I don’t think the team itself was mediocre.

Honestly you could say we have been mediocre since after 2003 and I wouldn’t argue with you even though we beat Kansas state in 2003.
That is fair.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT