ADVERTISEMENT

Huff < Snyder

Link please

Link please

Link please

Fact is, and yes it is a fact, that the liar, KO Marcum lied to BP and to the MU fanbase and donors. Fact is that it was Marcum’s compliance director who was a total incompetent who testified under oath he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject who caused the MINOR extra benefits violation. No recruiting violation. No steroids. No academic violations (of any real merit).

KO Marcum destroyed what so many had built, with his dishonesty and his sticking with his incompetent cronies, including MS.
Fact is, and yes it is a fact, that the liar, KO Marcum lied to BP and to the MU fanbase and donors

link please

Fact is that it was Marcum’s compliance director who was a total incompetent who testified under oath he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject who caused the MINOR extra benefits violation.

link please

otoh
Less than five years later, Ridpath's quest to reform one of the most corrupt athletic departments in college sports, while simultaneously standing up to the behemoth governing body that is the NCAA, had all but destroyed that career. While serving as assistant athletic director for compliance and student services at Marshall University from 1997 through 2001, Ridpath unearthed violations of several NCAA rules. These violations included overt academic fraud and impermissible, booster-devised employment for members of the Marshall University football team-a team had taken the nation by storm because of its incredible success on the field. Ridpath now chronicles his experiences through this trying time in Tainted Glory: Marshall University, the NCAA, and One Man's Fight for Justice.

oh what a nice stroll down memory lane. I'll let you experts hash out who the worst HC we employed is but I will say this....looks like Charles Huff maybe the one that gets to join BP as one of the only two coaches since crash to leave the program in worse shape than he found it. I say that as a big BP fan who enjoyed his time until 2004 and the late, program screwing resignation he gave us.

Fact is, and yes it is a fact, that the liar, KO Marcum lied to BP and to the MU fanbase and donors

link please

Fact is that it was Marcum’s compliance director who was a total incompetent who testified under oath he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject who caused the MINOR extra benefits violation.

link please

otoh
Lies from the blurb to a book that has sold dozens of copies. Maybe 100s.
Yes, the blurb to the incompetent man’s self-published book. Where he actually calls being an incompetent a “struggle” and a “fight for justice”. What a loser. He should have been charged criminally.

How is that “OTOH”. It is a blurb the violator himself wrote about his self-published book, not a word of which is true. I could write a book saying my dog is really the king of Norway and Amazon would use whatever blurb I wrote. Doesn’t make him king of Denmark.

As to links, all in the NCAA violations database. The actual story of these minor violations, and the incompetent who let them happen. Who, last time I checked never had a compliance job ever again.

But, back to the story. BP has been accused of “academic violations, recruiting violations, and STEROIDS”.

Link please. Or admit you are a WVU troll. No MU fan takes Ridpath’s side.

Reactions: rvntx and caliherd
Yes, the blurb to the incompetent man’s self-published book. Where he actually calls being an incompetent a “struggle” and a “fight for justice”. What a loser. He should have been charged criminally.

How is that “OTOH”. It is a blurb the violator himself wrote about his self-published book, not a word of which is true. I could write a book saying my dog is really the king of Norway and Amazon would use whatever blurb I wrote. Doesn’t make him king of Denmark.

As to links, all in the NCAA violations database. The actual story of these minor violations, and the incompetent who let them happen. Who, last time I checked never had a compliance job ever again.

But, back to the story. BP has been accused of “academic violations, recruiting violations, and STEROIDS”.

Link please. Or admit you are a WVU troll. No MU fan takes Ridpath’s side.
move the goal post? link to KO lying? Link to Ridpath testifying he didnt know the rules.

Reactions: rvntx
Link please

Link please

Link please

Fact is, and yes it is a fact, that the liar, KO Marcum lied to BP and to the MU fanbase and donors. Fact is that it was Marcum’s compliance director who was a total incompetent who testified under oath he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject who caused the MINOR extra benefits violation. No recruiting violation. No steroids. No academic violations (of any real merit).

KO Marcum destroyed what so many had built, with his dishonesty and his sticking with his incompetent cronies, including MS.
I think you are mis remembering things....

he committee placed the university on four years of probation and reduced grants-in-aid in football and men's basketball, among other penalties outlined in its public report released today.

The committee found that for a number of years, athletics department personnel arranged employment with a representative of the university's athletics interests for student-athletes in the football and men's basketball programs who were nonqualifiers during their initial year of enrollment. In addition, those student-athletes were paid at a rate much higher than rates commensurate with similar employment in the area.

.....The academic fraud incident occurred during the spring 1999 when an assistant professor at the university, who also served as a volunteer flexibility coach in the athletics program, provided advance copies of a final examination to football student-athletes. The committee concluded that the facts of the case demonstrated unethical conduct, academic fraud and provision of extra benefits.
The committee concluded after considering all of the evidence that a finding of lack of institutional control was appropriate.

you can read the rest here.....

FTR I hate WVU as much as the next guy.

All I know is a couple seasons in the Sun Belt football basement, and a resurrected Knute Rockne won’t be able to save the program.

Reactions: sluggo72
I think you are mis remembering things....

he committee placed the university on four years of probation and reduced grants-in-aid in football and men's basketball, among other penalties outlined in its public report released today.

The committee found that for a number of years, athletics department personnel arranged employment with a representative of the university's athletics interests for student-athletes in the football and men's basketball programs who were nonqualifiers during their initial year of enrollment. In addition, those student-athletes were paid at a rate much higher than rates commensurate with similar employment in the area.

.....The academic fraud incident occurred during the spring 1999 when an assistant professor at the university, who also served as a volunteer flexibility coach in the athletics program, provided advance copies of a final examination to football student-athletes. The committee concluded that the facts of the case demonstrated unethical conduct, academic fraud and provision of extra benefits.
The committee concluded after considering all of the evidence that a finding of lack of institutional control was appropriate.

you can read the rest here.....

FTR I hate WVU as much as the next guy.
Good gracious Marshall had been using Marshall Reynolds for years to pay guys big wages to do nothing. They were doing it in the 80's but Donnan took it to the next level. I have talked with Redpath about this before as we both live in Athens and I never got the feeling he had it in for Marshall. I did feel like he believed he was thrown under the bus.

You can't walk away mere weeks before Spring Camp and claim honor. He got out because the NCAA was going to label him a cheater. Sure he didn't get what he want, but Bob's recruiting violations, academic infractions, and steroid use helped provide the mess we've been in since 2005.
That is 100% not true. You love to throw your opinions out on stuff like it’s the gospel and you are FOS on this one.

Reactions: The Real SamC
That is 100% not true. You love to throw your opinions out on stuff like it’s the gospel and you are FOS on this one.
You don't dip out in March because you couldn't have an IPF and an increased recruiting budget.

You can't walk away mere weeks before Spring Camp and claim honor. He got out because the NCAA was going to label him a cheater. Sure he didn't get what he want, but Bob's recruiting violations, academic infractions, and steroid use helped provide the mess we've been in since 2005.

It takes about 1-2 seasons for a good coach to make a difference, 17 years and 3 shit coaches later you’re still blaming BP? 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It takes about 1-2 seasons for a good coach to make a difference, 17 years and 3 shit coaches later you’re still blaming BP? 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
No. I'm just disagreeing that he left because of his "honor" as Sam claimed.

If KO and Ridpath were actually doing their jobs, they likely would have discovered all of this, ended it in house and the NCAA would likely never have been involved. jmo.
KO was not the AD when we got caught cheating, that was Lance West. Marcum was left to clean up the mess, and there was a lot. I don't think Marcum was a great AD, but you guys that think he was our primary problem are completely wrong. There were many to blame. Marcum was hired in May, 2002.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19MU88
Good gracious Marshall had been using Marshall Reynolds for years to pay guys big wages to do nothing. They were doing it in the 80's but Donnan took it to the next level. I have talked with Redpath about this before as we both live in Athens and I never got the feeling he had it in for Marshall. I did feel like he believed he was thrown under the bus.
You are right, the mistake made was BP and his staff, they got lazy. Instead of having the props, or one person in the AD go to Macorkle and pick up the checks, they had them delivered to the Football Office. This allowed people who had no business to know what was going on, to be made aware. End result a GS brought it all down. The key to the NCAA's investigation was proving Marshall football was involved in the hiring, many people who should know said the NCAA would of never been able to prove it had BP/staff did what we had done for almost two decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
KO was not the AD when we got caught cheating, that was Lance West. Marcum was left to clean up the mess, and there was a lot. I don't think Marcum was a great AD, but you guys that think he was our primary problem are completely wrong. There were many to blame. Marcum was hired in May, 2002.

Good catch. My bad. That West was the AD, explains the lack of in action even more. That poor guy was never ready to be an AD.

Reactions: Marco93

Ridapath was at Marshall in 1997, NCAA started their investigation in 1999. Marcum was hired in 2002. So Fact is he wasn't Marcum's compliance director.

Last edited:
Good catch. My bad. That West was the AD, explains the lack of in action even more. That poor guy was never ready to be an AD.
100% agree. As to Ridpath he was an arrogant POS. While his claim of being the fall guy has some merit after the fact, it still doesn't explain why he did nothing during his tenure.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
He did nothing during his tenure because he did not know how. He was an incompetent. As was KO.

How any MU fan can take the side of Marcum and Ridpath over BP is beyond me, and also revisionist history of what actually happened.

Anyway, while the CH regime seems to be collapsing before our eyes, MS never had a regime in the first place. Not a coach.

Marcum was complete garbage as an AD. Fat, lazy and complacent as hell, who saw us as his last stop before riding off into the sunset.

I've not heard people blame him for the trouble we got into so much as his involvement in burying of our program with Snyder.

Why? He could have just stayed at Marshall and won. Would have been in the college HOF.

The dumbest thing Marshall has ever done is let Bob Pruett walk out that door.

Marshall didn’t let BP walk out the door. BP ran out on his own
Well from what I heard, they promised money to donors for things, maybe new turf and didn't do it.

That cheating crap at the time went on before Pruett. Hell, they were doing that for years and it was known around town and on campus.

Marshall has done some stupid stuff through the years, but that was one of them. Cooler heads should have prevailed.

Ran the program in the ground after he left and wasn't it some interim president anyway?

When Bob Pruett (greatest coach in history of the program) left, the program went down the toilet. But, it wasn't due to not having a great football coach; rather, it was due to fans not showing up for games. If the Herd sells out the stadium moving forward, extragreen could coach the Herd to multiple undefeated seasons. Let's do this, superfans. Fill the stadium now, and win out the rest of the way.

When Bob Pruett (greatest coach in history of the program) left, the program went down the toilet. But, it wasn't due to not having a great football coach; rather, it was due to fans not showing up for games. If the Herd sells out the stadium moving forward, extragreen could coach the Herd to multiple undefeated seasons. Let's do this, superfans. Fill the stadium now, and win out the rest of the way.
I'll see ya there

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
Well from what I heard, they promised money to donors for things, maybe new turf and didn't do it.

That cheating crap at the time went on before Pruett. Hell, they were doing that for years and it was known around town and on campus.

Marshall has done some stupid stuff through the years, but that was one of them. Cooler heads should have prevailed.

Ran the program in the ground after he left and wasn't it some interim president anyway?
huh? FTR there were cooler heads, problem being BP wasnt one of them. He wanted his ring kissed, but there was no one there to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
I guess JMU didn't get the memo coming from FCS......

My apologies. I didn't realize JMU wasn't winning and cleared out their coaching staff prior to coming to the Sun Belt. I stand corrected..

Also, lets be real- JMU was winning and competing in games at a pretty high level, regardless of being 1AA. I mean - JMU is better than Rice, and has been for a long time.

SUPERFANS UNITE!

My apologies. I didn't realize JMU wasn't winning and cleared out their coaching staff prior to coming to the Sun Belt. I stand corrected..

Also, lets be real- JMU was winning and competing in games at a pretty high level, regardless of being 1AA. I mean - JMU is better than Rice, and has been for a long time.
Huffs' second year. 48, forty eight, new players that he brought in. 24 from the portal. Marshall's better than ND, at least this year. Means nothing.
halfback dive
wide receiver screen
halfback dive
punt

Wait a second... we are obsessed with jumping conferences every chance we get, and then are mad at the coaching staff because we have an inferior roster in year 1 of said conference. Got it

Out of only 10 posts, this has to be your worst. WTF are you talking about? We have made 1 conference switch in the past 18 years or so. Huff is not in his 1st season, so your point isn't valid re: year one of new conference. Huff also brought in a shit ton of players and yet failed to address one of the most critical areas being the O line, and recruited a QB who is failing either from lack of talent, no protection from the aforementioned O line or both.

Out of only 10 posts, this has to be your worst. WTF are you talking about? We have made 1 conference switch in the past 18 years or so. Huff is not in his 1st season, so your point isn't valid re: year one of new conference. Huff also brought in a shit ton of players and yet failed to address one of the most critical areas being the O line, and recruited a QB who is failing either from lack of talent, no protection from the aforementioned O line or both.
Year one of a new conference actually does matter. Recruits go play where their families can see them often times.

Also- I didn't say how many times we switched conferences, I said we obsess about it. A lot of the fans always want to make assumptions, such as:

1. CUSA is better than being in the MAC, which turned out to be false, and killed old rivalries, and was just inherently a bad situation, but by golly we need to move up!!
2. We will compete on the level of the Sub Belt simply by moving to it. That will actually take years, and NO ONE can fix that right away, including Huff.
3. We like to compare ourselves to other teams' situations and expect as much or more than any of said teams. Case in point JMU- someone said they were 1AA so therefore we should out perform them in the SB out of the gate. Thats not how life works.

Give it time. Moving to the SB was a big move. It's not like we can just expect to go win the conference right away. There are ACTUALLY some pretty good teams in this conference, unlike CUSA.

Year one of a new conference actually does matter. Recruits go play where their families can see them often times.

Also- I didn't say how many times we switched conferences, I said we obsess about it. A lot of the fans always want to make assumptions, such as:

1. CUSA is better than being in the MAC, which turned out to be false, and killed old rivalries, and was just inherently a bad situation, but by golly we need to move up!!
2. We will compete on the level of the Sub Belt simply by moving to it. That will actually take years, and NO ONE can fix that right away, including Huff.
3. We like to compare ourselves to other teams' situations and expect as much or more than any of said teams. Case in point JMU- someone said they were 1AA so therefore we should out perform them in the SB out of the gate. Thats not how life works.

Give it time. Moving to the SB was a big move. It's not like we can just expect to go win the conference right away. There are ACTUALLY some pretty good teams in this conference, unlike CUSA.
Your argument makes no sense. It's jibberish, you say it takes time to compete when you change conferences. JMU moved up a WHOLE division and is winning, USM is winning and ODU is winning sunbelt games. So teams we competed with for years and beat are competing in conference. No bro, it's the coaching and a good coach would have us rolling. Btw....cusa this season is not that much worse than the league we are in. Now when the aac teams leave it will be way worse. But all rankings and ratings put them right behind SBC and the SBC behind the AAC.

Marshall didn’t let BP walk out the door. BP ran out on his own
the story I heard was he submitted his resignation and the next day came back and said he changed his mind and was told too late. IDK if that is accurate or not.

“Redpath”? You mean Ridpath correct?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT