BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Source: Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall
3:18 PM ET
  • Heather Dinich
  • Mark Schlabach

The Big Ten decided on Thursday that a conference-only season for all fall sports, including football, is the most likely outcome, a source with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.

If college football can be played this fall, Big Ten presidents and athletics directors prefer playing a conference-only schedule, which would eliminate some long-distance travel and help ensure that their teams are being tested for coronavirus universally, multiple sources inside the league and around college football told ESPN.

Some Big Ten schools preferred playing only conference foes with one additional non-league game, which would preserve some of its marquee non-Big Ten matchups, but there is overwhelming support for a 10-game conference-only schedule, the sources said.

Big Ten presidents and athletics directors discussed the issues during a conference call earlier this week, and the league's head coaches were given an opportunity to weigh in on Thursday morning.

A decision to play only conference games might be announced as early as this week, the sources said.

An assistant coach at a Big Ten program told ESPN that his head coach instructed him to stop scouting and preparing for nonconference opponents and focus on only league foes.

The Big Ten's potential decision to play only conference opponents would affect 36 scheduled opponents, including 28 from the FBS and eight from the FCS. Six FBS schools -- Ball State, Bowling Green, BYU, Central Michigan, UConn and Northern Illinois -- are scheduled to play two Big Ten opponents this season.

The Big Ten would lose marquee nonconference matchups, including Michigan's road game at Washington on Sept. 5, Ohio State's trip to Oregon on Sept. 12, Michigan State's home game against Miami on Sept. 26, and Wisconsin's contest against Notre Dame at Lambeau Field on Oct. 3.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg contributed to this story.

I have a weird feeling all conferences will be doing this. So that means College Football won't start until
October.

I have a weird feeling all conferences will be doing this. So that means College Football won't start until
October.

I think that’s a good move from a preparation stand point. No way these teams had enough time to prepare for a season of football with the lack of organized spring conditioning plus summer conditioning around the country going in fits and starts. It was becoming a safety concern in my eyes (aside from the virus.)

But DAMN I was looking forward to the OOC Sched for years.

Nope. The plan is for conferences to front load schedules with the hopes of having the season done before the proverbial second wave of COVID hits.

The way I understood it was that the season will still play out over the same time span just will less games. Playing only 8 games allows more time between each game to deal with covid developments that may happen within each team. So there will basically be 2-3 weeks between games.

If it comes to pass, wonder if any, many, or none of the "power" teams will honor their non-conference game deals and agree to play those same 2020 non conference foes some time down the road? 2021, 22, 23 . . . or later.
For MU, I'm wondering if HERD fans can expect to see Pitt, and perhaps Boise, in the JOAN some season after 2020?

If it comes to pass, wonder if any, many, or none of the "power" teams will honor their non-conference game deals and agree to play those same 2020 non conference foes some time down the road? 2021, 22, 23 . . . or later.
For MU, I'm wondering if HERD fans can expect to see Pitt, and perhaps Boise, in the JOAN some season after 2020?

If they do get rescheduled I highly doubt they'd come back to Huntington.

Hey wvu needs a game now:D

Sportsline with Tony Caridi Watch |
SPORTS
WVU-Maryland matchup off the board as Big 10 cancels non-conference games
By Joe Brocato
July 9, 2020 - 4:30 pm
Maryland Terrapins quarterback Josh Jackson (17). Photo by: Mike Carter-USA TODAY Sports
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — As it turns out, West Virginia will not get a second shot at defending quarterback Josh Jackson this September.

The Big Ten Conference announced Thursday afternoon that the league has canceled all non-conference matchups for all of their fall sports teams. West Virginia was scheduled to host Maryland on September 19 at Milan Puskar Stadium.

Maryland is coming off a 3-9 season and Josh Jackson is slated to return as the Terrapins starting signal caller. He defeated the Mountaineers while quarterbacking Virginia Tech in the 2017 season opener.

The Atlantic Coast Conference is reportedly considering a similar conference-only model. If that plan is enacted, West Virginia would also lose their season-opener against Florida State in Atlanta.

This is the second time in three seasons that West Virginia has had a game canceled. Their matchup at North Carolina State in September of 2018 was wiped out by Hurricane Florence.

facebook.svg

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
If they reschedule Pitt and Boise games I will be dead before it happens .

Considering Boise only has one open date between now and 2027 (they need a home game in 2024), I doubt they get rescheduled to come to Huntington.

Pitt is more doable. They have an open date in 2023, 2024 and two open dates in 2025... 2024 would actually work for both Pitt and MU (they need a road game and we need a home game).

Reactions: Aaron Coleman
Wonder if this means Doc will get a one year extension IF we don’t have a 2020 season?

Today's "wave" numbers. 0.0096% of population infected; 0.00041% of population died. Death numbers for any age group under 70 so low they must be carried out to the hundred millionths place or further to get a non-zero digit.

You have a better chance of being injured by an errant throw going into the stands.

Today's "wave" numbers. 0.0096% of population infected; 0.00041% of population died. Death numbers for any age group under 70 so low they must be carried out to the hundred millionths place or further to get a non-zero digit.
As of 7/4 (the most recent date for which data is available), 7,460 Americans between the ages of 35 and 55 have died of COVID-19. This represents 0.000000226% of the US population.

It also represents 6.57% of the total US COVID-19 victims to that date. It's well over twice as many people as died in 9/11, and exceeds the total number of US military casualties (including training exercises) since 2001.

A few of them died yesterday, just as a few died each day since July 4th. Today, we're gonna lose a few more. Tomorrow as well. And the next day, and the next day, and the day on and on and on until we either stymie the virus' spread, or it burns through us all uncontrolled.

Maybe it never reaches an eye-popping number that can't be reduced to a fractional percentage and dismissed, but every digit represents a person, who probably had a family, who maybe even had kids, and those folks deserve at least the minimal amount of respect for the dead we're supposed to have in this Christian nation.

Last edited:

You have a better chance of being injured by an errant throw going into the stands.

Is this not a political comment? There’s obviously an agenda to this comment beyond discussing the implications of the Big 10 and other conferences canceling non-conference football games.

Wonder if this means Doc will get a one year extension IF we don’t have a 2020 season?
Sure I’m good with that.... but also no paycheck for the 2020 season... his salary could Buy a lot of masks for the construction crew needed to build a baseball stadium

Barry Alvarez was quoted on ESPN radio this evening saying the G5/FCS “buy type” games those payouts would still be made via insurance on those games ONLY if conference games/some type of season is played....due to conferences choosing not to play non conference games. IF there is no season played at all, then nobody would receive anything

Last edited:
Barry Alvarez was quoted on ESPN radio this evening saying the G5/FCS “buy type” games those payouts would still be made via insurance on those games ONLY if conference games/some type of season is played....due to conferences choosing not to play non conference games. IF there is no season played at all, then nobody would receive anything

USA Today had a an article yesterday about this and said some schools include medical issues or outbreaks in their contracts. I think it mentioned Clemson and a few others as including that out in all of their buy game contracts. Sucks for the smaller schools

Reactions: johns1124
This represents 0.000000226% of the US population.

OK. And? Glad you agree with these numbers carried out to minute levels of fraction columns.

It's well over twice as many people as died in 9/11, and exceeds the total number of US military casualties (including training exercises) since 2001.

Irrelevant. The number of people who died from lots of activities exceeds this or that war casualty number. Apples to oranges.

A few of them died yesterday, just as a few died each day since July 4th. Today, we're gonna lose a few more. Tomorrow as well. And the next day, and the next day, and the day on and on and on until we either stymie the virus' spread, or it burns through us all uncontrolled.

Maybe it never reaches an eye-popping number that can't be reduced to a fractional percentage and dismissed, but every digit represents a person, who probably had a family, who maybe even had kids, and those folks deserve at least the minimal amount of respect for the dead we're supposed to have in this Christian nation.

I could make similar statements about every human activity. And? If you want to stop auto accidents, you don't stop everyone from driving? If you want to stop industrial accidents, you don't stop everyone from working?

You know what causes death? Life. Depending on ones religious views, either everybody or everybody with one exception, who has ever lived, has or will eventually die. That does not mean that you shut down the whole of society because of fear. Including the fear of a disease that less people have than have met Johnny Bench.

Is this not a political comment? There’s obviously an agenda to this comment beyond discussing the implications of the Big 10 and other conferences canceling non-conference football games.

Which political party did I mention? Simply pointed out the figures and the trivial nature of the matter, and that thus the B10 was wrong, and CUSA, et al, would be wrong to follow, this over-reaction to an event that is difficult to understate.

It is time to play football, have school, eat out, go to a bar, and do all the other things that fill up a life. Understanding that you might catch a disease that 99% get over. Or you might get in a car wreck, struck by a piece of space debris, get killed by a terrorist, or trip and impale your forehead on a misplaced sewer grate.

Play ball.

OK. And? Glad you agree with these numbers carried out to minute levels of fraction columns.

Irrelevant. The number of people who died from lots of activities exceeds this or that war casualty number. Apples to oranges.

I could make similar statements about every human activity. And? If you want to stop auto accidents, you don't stop everyone from driving? If you want to stop industrial accidents, you don't stop everyone from working?

You know what causes death? Life. Depending on ones religious views, either everybody or everybody with one exception, who has ever lived, has or will eventually die. That does not mean that you shut down the whole of society because of fear. Including the fear of a disease that less people have than have met Johnny Bench.

Which political party did I mention? Simply pointed out the figures and the trivial nature of the matter, and that thus the B10 was wrong, and CUSA, et al, would be wrong to follow, this over-reaction to an event that is difficult to understate.

It is time to play football, have school, eat out, go to a bar, and do all the other things that fill up a life. Understanding that you might catch a disease that 99% get over. Or you might get in a car wreck, struck by a piece of space debris, get killed by a terrorist, or trip and impale your forehead on a misplaced sewer grate.

Play ball.

I’m going to echo herdalicious a bit and say I just don’t think you understand the implications of the statistics you yourself are using to dismiss this risk.

Since a 1% risk is seemingly trivial to you, let’s use that and make it even “safer” by saying you have only a 1% chance to contract the virus at any given sporting event.

So assume 40,000 show up for Boise St @ MU. You have a 99% chance to NOT contract the virus by attending this game.

So 400 attendees get covid -19. If “99 percent get over it”, that means 1 in 100 do not. So that’s 4 deaths. Resulting from attending a college football game.

If you lined all 40,000 up before the game and said “Ok, you can watch this game, but 4 of you WILL NOT walk out of here today.” I don’t think you’d have that many people saying “Play Ball.”

That doesn’t even account for all the additional infections of those people spreading it around the community. What if one of those 400 infected your 80 year old Grandmother at Kroger because she had no choice but to go out and pick up her blood pressure medication? She does NOT have a 99% chance to “get over it”.

If you follow this board at all, you would know better than to argue with Sam... He has no use for rational thought or dissenting opinion. And when this season is eventually canceled, he will be the first to tell us he "saw it coming" and he will use the same numbers he just dismissed to explain that it was a prudent decision by the brilliant minds that lead CUSA and/or our athletic department.

Since a 1% risk is seemingly trivial to you, let’s use that and make it even “safer” by saying you have only a 1% chance to contract the virus at any given sporting event.

Link to where the risk is "1%" please. Every piece of material I have read the "risk" is carried out to many places left of the decimal, into microscopic fractions. And that is just for catching it, dying from it is astrophysics level miniscule.

But whatever.

Lets do it your way. Nobody do anything ever again. Because life is risky. 100% safety is not ever achievable.

Life belongs to risk takers.

Reactions: Elkview and herd66
Link to where the risk is "1%" please. Every piece of material I have read the "risk" is carried out to many places left of the decimal, into microscopic fractions. And that is just for catching it, dying from it is astrophysics level miniscule.

But whatever.

Lets do it your way. Nobody do anything ever again. Because life is risky. 100% safety is not ever achievable.

Actually, it's to the right of the decimal. In other words, your other left.

But whatever.

I was using your “99% get over it” claim.

masks should not be mandatory nor social distancing.It should be up to the individual.Stay home if you are concerned and not make it miserable for those are are willing to go to games.
My wife’s 90 year old grandfather doesn’t have a choice to stay in. Wearing a mask is an inconvenience at most. Wear it the hour, at most, you are at the store. Take it off outside. Stop riding peoples ass with your buggy or while Someomes putting in their debit card pin, that’s just common courtesy and has nothing to do with social distancing

I was using your “99% get over it” claim.

It other words, you have no link.

I do.

https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

4259 total cases out of over 200000 tested (out of a population of 1.8M) far less than 1% have gotten in the first place (leaving out that about a week ago they discovered a lot of "asymptomatic" positives, in other words people for whom the disease is so mild they did not even know they had it until tested for some work or other requirement).

96 deaths (out of 4259, or 0.022%).

So actually I was wrong. Far MORE than 99% get over it, and far LESS than 1%.

But I will help you out. When will it be 100% safe to play football?

The same time it will be 100% safe to leave your bunker to do anything else.

Never

Reactions: Elkview and 19MU88
The problem is, like usual, your logic is flawed... Normally, its because Daddy Doc and Daddy Mike tell you what you should think so you have to come up with some nonsense to justify your (their) position... This time its because you don't know/understand/acknowledge/account for the law of large numbers.

Trying to create a small numbers bias by using very small percentages is what people do when – A) They want to skew public opinion to agree with them. B) Have a number set that looks so bad it's almost impossible to justify. C) All of the above.

So far, 137,000 Americans have died as a result of COVID-19 and 674,000 cases have been serious enough to require hospitalization... In six months, with business closures, social distancing, etc. in place... Assuming all who died were at some point hospitalized, 674,000 people is a lot of people and that number is currently growing every single day (especially in Florida and Texas where half of CUSA is located).

As for the idiotic argument at the beginning of this thread that life comes with inherent risks and you could just as easily die in a car wreck or be killed by space debris... Last year car accidents killed 38,000 Americans (that's a lot less than 137,000 in six months)... Space debris killed zero.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT