ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the Marshall AD.

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Curious what some of you on here would have for expectations in football and men's basketball.Say in a 5 year contract what would success look like? Then say in a 10 year span, what would success look like. Will 7 and 8 wins in football and bowl invites cut it? How many conference titles will be needed in your view to stay employed. How about Basketball? Will 20 wins be acceptable? How many invites to the Big Dance will be required. I am really curious.

Football. 8 wins/season minimum. Proper player conduct. Division title/10 wins every 3 years. Bowl every year.

Basketball. 24 wins/season minimum. Proper player conduct. NCAA every 4 years. 28 wins every 3 years.

Football, command the league, be in the championship game competition every single year, expect to win the East most often, command the story line for the SBC nationally in the east.

Basketball, there is no reason we should accept anything but most years being the regular season winners, and only occasionally be upset in the tourney (tourney's are different things....) We have the facilities and the money to be a basketball-dominant school once again. The fans will come, the CAM is a loud, friend family facility.

Reactions: ohio herd
So I checked G5 football conference records the last 10 years to see how many Conference championships the most dominate programs won in the last 10 years. On average it was 3.4 conference championships over 10 years between the conferences.

So it seems we would need to win 3-4 football championships every 10 years to be considered dominate in our conference.

I didn’t do basketball, but I would say the goals should be the same.

Curious what some of you on here would have for expectations in football and men's basketball.Say in a 5 year contract what would success look like? Then say in a 10 year span, what would success look like. Will 7 and 8 wins in football and bowl invites cut it? How many conference titles will be needed in your view to stay employed. How about Basketball? Will 20 wins be acceptable? How many invites to the Big Dance will be required. I am really curious.

I'm gonna go in a different direction...

1. Fight Sluggo and kick his ass so he'll shut up. Either a Kimura or D'Arce finish and tell him it was Spears.

2. Go to the FCS ranks and look for a HC there. I would also look at ones who had abysmal seasons and see how/if they brought their teams back to winning ways. It shows the HC isn't just used to, or too comfortable with, winning. That he can rebuild a team after a bad season.

3. Be realistic in expectations. I don't expect the HC to win it all in year one, unlike some of the clowns. Year 2? Improvement. Both statistically and in overall look. By year 3, MU should be in the title game and then win it.

4. If my HC hasn't left yet, offer a possible extension with a larger buyout, knowing the P5 is calling.

5. Branch out to youth league programs and coaches. Not sure how many are connected to MU, but reaching out is a great gesture. Inquire about up and coming stars and send them interest letters as well as invites to tour the campus and programs. Same with coaches, a free clinic/seminar for them build good rapport with them, they are MU's eyes and ears for in state talent.
I know this probably already exists but I am unsure of the extent of it or how well it is run/done.

6. Depending on when I was hired, I'd evaluate ALL the programs and their coaches to see who has done what. I'd give all of them a year to basically audition for their jobs. Each program has a different set of expectations so obviously that would be taken into account.

7. Sit down ALL of the head coaches and recruiters we have, and have a week long seminar on how the portal and NIL work. I don't care who I'd bring in for it, but I think none of the coaches actually know the true workings of either.
This would be extended to all interested parties regarding athletes and how they wish to sponsor them as well.

8. Evaluate the facilities and see the cost of repairs/upkeep. Begin to request from donors/fundraise repairs for them, but also take a small percentage of earnings from the program, each season, to be transferred to a separate account, strictly for upkeep to all athletic facilities. This would be allocated to any facility that needs it based on its level of urgency.

9. Examine how other programs do sales for games and tickets. Send scouts to games to see/track the atmosphere, advertising, and other elements that could contribute to GameDay improvement.

10. Contract to local businesses for food, use food trucks and have them prominently parked around the stadium. If needs be, re-negotiate with Sodexo. Despite their terrible food, they actually fund quite a bit for MU.

11. Offer discount tailgate spots for student groups (if this isn't already an official thing) in and around the lot. Increase the social atmosphere through this and the Greeks as well. Each fraternity pays a group rate for 2 spots next to each other for tailgates. Sororities are more strict so they'll just have to show up (no complaints there).
Also extend this to service industry folks, firefighters, police, military, etc. I'm sure these exist but MU should recognize them formally. Again, good rapport.

12. Build a good narrative for the upcoming season. Rakeem Cato was on course to surpass Russell Wilson for consecutive TD passes in college. It didn't get much coverage nationally and not much locally. That would be a story I would plaster everywhere and sell as a reason to come. It's essentially what Jon Elmore had for his scoring title...or else My wouldn't have had as many people come to watch a meaningless l, 4th rate tournament final.
You could easily create a good narrative with the local press...even if that means letting idiots like Landon back into the locker room.

13. Coordinate with other youth leagues to invite them to Marshall games, maybe even have a randomly selected youth league team get a press box pass. It'd be cool for little kids to watch MU from there and their parents would enjoy it too.

14. Create fundraisers for the programs. Have a Ladder Match between members of this board. Winners get Tudor's.

Do at least some of this, and you'll have a pedigree for your programs to be in the hands of a competent HC to be successful.
As AD, I'd want to have any casual person look at what I am doing and say, "well, that guy is doing his job."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I'm gonna go in a different direction...

1. Fight Sluggo and kick his ass so he'll shut up. Either a Kimura or D'Arce finish and tell him it was Spears.

2. Go to the FCS ranks and look for a HC there. I would also look at ones who had abysmal seasons and see how/if they brought their teams back to winning ways. It shows the HC isn't just used to, or too comfortable with, winning. That he can rebuild a team after a bad season.

3. Be realistic in expectations. I don't expect the HC to win it all in year one, unlike some of the clowns. Year 2? Improvement. Both statistically and in overall look. By year 3, MU should be in the title game and then win it.

4. If my HC hasn't left yet, offer a possible extension with a larger buyout, knowing the P5 is calling.

5. Branch out to youth league programs and coaches. Not sure how many are connected to MU, but reaching out is a great gesture. Inquire about up and coming stars and send them interest letters as well as invites to tour the campus and programs. Same with coaches, a free clinic/seminar for them build good rapport with them, they are MU's eyes and ears for in state talent.
I know this probably already exists but I am unsure of the extent of it or how well it is run/done.

6. Depending on when I was hired, I'd evaluate ALL the programs and their coaches to see who has done what. I'd give all of them a year to basically audition for their jobs. Each program has a different set of expectations so obviously that would be taken into account.

7. Sit down ALL of the head coaches and recruiters we have, and have a week long seminar on how the portal and NIL work. I don't care who I'd bring in for it, but I think none of the coaches actually know the true workings of either.
This would be extended to all interested parties regarding athletes and how they wish to sponsor them as well.

8. Evaluate the facilities and see the cost of repairs/upkeep. Begin to request from donors/fundraise repairs for them, but also take a small percentage of earnings from the program, each season, to be transferred to a separate account, strictly for upkeep to all athletic facilities. This would be allocated to any facility that needs it based on its level of urgency.

9. Examine how other programs do sales for games and tickets. Send scouts to games to see/track the atmosphere, advertising, and other elements that could contribute to GameDay improvement.

10. Contract to local businesses for food, use food trucks and have them prominently parked around the stadium. If needs be, re-negotiate with Sodexo. Despite their terrible food, they actually fund quite a bit for MU.

11. Offer discount tailgate spots for student groups (if this isn't already an official thing) in and around the lot. Increase the social atmosphere through this and the Greeks as well. Each fraternity pays a group rate for 2 spots next to each other for tailgates. Sororities are more strict so they'll just have to show up (no complaints there).
Also extend this to service industry folks, firefighters, police, military, etc. I'm sure these exist but MU should recognize them formally. Again, good rapport.

12. Build a good narrative for the upcoming season. Rakeem Cato was on course to surpass Russell Wilson for consecutive TD passes in college. It didn't get much coverage nationally and not much locally. That would be a story I would plaster everywhere and sell as a reason to come. It's essentially what Jon Elmore had for his scoring title...or else My wouldn't have had as many people come to watch a meaningless l, 4th rate tournament final.
You could easily create a good narrative with the local press...even if that means letting idiots like Landon back into the locker room.

13. Coordinate with other youth leagues to invite them to Marshall games, maybe even have a randomly selected youth league team get a press box pass. It'd be cool for little kids to watch MU from there and their parents would enjoy it too.

14. Create fundraisers for the programs. Have a Ladder Match between members of this board. Winners get Tudor's.

Do at least some of this, and you'll have a pedigree for your programs to be in the hands of a competent HC to be successful.
As AD, I'd want to have any casual person look at what I am doing and say, "well, that guy is doing his job."
#8. Don't we already pay a "facility fee" when we purchase fball tickets? Not sure about bball.

I would untarp both The Joan and The Cam, politely ask the band director to put a band worth listening to into the game experience, update the bathrooms mostly at The Joan, build out the north concourse of the cam with new concession stands, merch stores, stairs and elevators to ground level with new larger entry points east and west, windows overlooking 3rd… 8 win seasons are fine as long as a conference championship is included every 3,4,5 years. Basketball should see March madness or NIT every 2,3,4 years.. go ahead and replace Dan Dan, and start looking for a new FB head coach. Baseball yet to be determined, soccer is good and give as needed to keep coach, women’s BB good so far maybe a raise soon…

Reactions: HerdnBucks
Fire Dan Dantoni immediately! Clean house in basketball program. Keep Williams through transition. Hire a good young coach that gets what college basketball is about! Let Huff finish this year, so we don’t have a buyout and fire him the day after season ends. President Smith and AD Spears knows it needs to be done. We have made great progress and if your not a winner, hit the road we don’t need you.

I just figure season over early March, Dan let go around the 10th-12th….and will take a couple weeks to make the hire….so around first week or so of April
The SBC tournament is the 5th, 7th, and 9th-11th of March. Math would say DD's charges are eliminated on either the 9th or 10th. Assuming (hopefully) the women's team actually does something this will provide CS some cover, so I expect he will release a web posting saying this year was "unacceptable" and then accepting it and renewing DD for yet another year, sometime about the 15th or so. Just like he did for CH.

Because the real problem is the non-leader at AD. Stand pat. Say losing is "unacceptable" and then accept it. Play on the "we are just little old Marshall, don't dare to want more" line.

for the life of me I have never understood the mindset of ," lets put all our eggs in the . "lets get hot in the tourney basket" I mean that is all well and good but the need to build a program so that we are good ever year should be our goal. That way if we lose in the tourney we still can go to the NIT cause maybe we won the regular season title. Having a string of 23, 24 win season will get us on the radar rather than just one good season every 4-5 years.

for the life of me I have never understood the mindset of ," lets put all our eggs in the . "lets get hot in the tourney basket" I mean that is all well and good but the need to build a program so that we are good ever year should be our goal. That way if we lose in the tourney we still can go to the NIT cause maybe we won the regular season title. Having a string of 23, 24 win season will get us on the radar rather than just one good season every 4-5 years.

That is a mature and reasonable way to look at things. The problem is that the Marshall fan base, as seen on this board, does not think maturely and reasonably.

The “fans” on this board would rather kick-and-scream that Marshall is the bessssssstest in the land just because. Many of them post here because their own children don’t want to associate with them. And the non-leader AD receives the same immature and unreasonable support that these “fans” provide to the loser coaches of these losing programs.

Reactions: riflearm2
That's why most posts in this thread are actually advocating Danny be let go. Seriously, you're a moron.
Only wvu spam trolls resort to name calling. Why the powers that be of the board allow trolls like you to continue to post on a MARSHALL message board is unknown to me.

Go try to interest your children enough that they won’t hide from you. But you won’t since your time trolling this board and pretending to be a Marshall fan is more important to you than they are.

Go try to interest your children enough that they won’t hide from you. But you won’t since your time trolling this board and pretending to be a Marshall fan is more important to you than they are.
Sam, what in the world are you doing? That statement borders on a personal attack. Let’s see what the Mods do…….

• Haha
Reactions: The ReaI SamC
Only wvu spam trolls resort to name calling. Why the powers that be of the board allow trolls like you to continue to post on a MARSHALL message board is unknown to me.

More lIes and hypocrisy. You're embarrassing yourself again.

1)You complain about name calling, yet you're more than happy to call posters names when your posts are shown to be moronic and hypocritical.
2) I'm not a troll. I've been a part of this board for almost 20years posting about my support for Marshall and their sports programs. I have no interest in WVU or their programs. You're a desperate liar.
3)You promised to not engage with me...yet here you are..."engaging" with ramblings about someone's kids. You are a childish loser.

Why claim "fans" on this board want mediocrity in a thread that has overwhelming supported the removal of DD from coaching Herd basketball? You pretend to be some super fan of Marshall...and whine and cry about "fans" that dont agree with you. Your schtick is old and stupid.

Realistic expectations are not our fanbase's strong suit.

In football -

• More than half the teams in the country make a bowl game, that can not be the standard.
• I think 8 wins a year minimum is reasonable, and it's also logical to realize that every so often shit is going to hit the fan (injuries, players leaving, etc) and you have an occasional "down" year.
• Consistently compete for the Sun Belt Championship (two a decade isn't out of the realm of reasonable)
• Be on a talent/coaching level competitive with our peers every year (last year we were not)

In basketball -

• We need to be a top 3-4 program every season, period. We play in a pathetic league, where half the schools dont give a damn about basketball. We have the resources to be a premiere program in the Sun Belt.
• Put together a schedule that isn't embarrassing... No more "scheduling wins" by trying to get the worst teams in the country to play us. No more DII, NAIA games.
• With teams playing at least 32 games a year now, the going rate for a "good" season is 24-25 wins.
• An appearance in a "real" postseason tournament (NCAA/NIT) once every 3-4 years is reasonable.

The last two posts under my name were made by a hacker. They do not represent my views. I hope management can fix this matter.

If you look at the profile, the hacker lacks the "platinum buffalo" status and the account was just established last week.
Sam, by Jove you are correct! My apologies for not sniffing out an obvious hack by Rifle.
It has his signature attack subjects, + he is the only one here with enough malice in his heart to even contemplate doing such a thing….

My question to the Mods:
How is someone able to sneak past whatever guardrails you have in place & impersonate a real member?

Last edited:
Sam, by Jove you are correct! My apologies for not sniffing out an obvious hack by Rifle.
It has his signature attack subjects, + he is the only one here with enough malice in his heart to even contemplate doing such a thing….

My question to the Mods:
How is someone able to sneak past whatever guardrails you have in place & impersonate a real member?

Hey, Chuckles. Remember when you got sent to detention in sixth grade?

• Haha
Reactions: The ReaI SamC

My question to the Mods:
What guardrails. This is an internet forum my man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT