ADVERTISEMENT

IRS Agents

Author: Megan Loe
Published: 10:15 AM EDT August 11, 2022
Updated: 5:56 PM EDT August 12, 2022
Facebook Twitter
Congress recently passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, which includes the largest-ever federal effort to combat climate change and aims to lower rising costs of goods while paying down the nation's debt. The legislation also allocates funding to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
After the Senate passed the bill, people on Twitter claimed that the funding would allow the IRS to increase audits on middle-class Americans by hiring 87,000 new agents.
“Do you make $75,000 or less? Democrats' new army of 87,000 IRS agents will be coming for you — with 710,000 new audits for Americans who earn less than $75k,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) wrote in a tweet.

THE QUESTION​

Is the IRS increasing audits on the middle class by hiring 87,000 new agents?

THE SOURCES​

THE ANSWER​

This is false.

No, the IRS is not increasing audits on the middle class by hiring 87,000 new agents.

WHAT WE FOUND​

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 includes about $80 billion in funding for the IRS over the next 10 years.
If the bill passes the House and is signed into law, about $45.6 billion of that IRS funding would be put toward expenses for IRS tax enforcement services through September 2031, including hiring more employees. But the bill does not mention that the agency will hire 87,000 new agents specifically tasked with audits – and the U.S. Department of the Treasury says these claims are false.
The text of the Inflation Reduction Act doesn’t specify a number of new hires for the IRS. The 87,000 number shows up in a May 2021 report from the Treasury Department that estimated more funding allocated by President Joe Biden’s administration would allow the IRS to hire nearly 87,000 full-time employees by 2031.
RELATED: Yes, the Internal Revenue Service did buy nearly $700K in ammunition in early 2022
That report was specific to previous legislation and it’s not clear yet how many people the IRS would hire with the Inflation Reduction Act funding.
Additionally, the IRS is expecting a large number of employees to leave in the next 10 years and will hire new staff to fill those roles. At least 50,000 staff members will leave or retire from the agency in the next five years alone, according to the Treasury Department.
These staff members work in various departments throughout the IRS and aren’t tasked with only enforcement. The IRS plans to determine the final numbers and breakdown of potential new staff for the next decade in the coming months, but the addition of new employees won’t mean increased audits for middle-class Americans, according to the Treasury and IRS.
“New staff will be hired to improve taxpayer services and experienced auditors who can take on corporate and high-end tax evaders, without increasing audit rates relative to historical norms for people earning under $400,000 each year,” a spokesperson for the Treasury Department said.
In a recent letter, IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig also assured Senate members that the IRS would not “increase audit scrutiny on small businesses or middle-income Americans.”
According to the Treasury Department spokesperson, “the resources to modernize the IRS will be used to improve taxpayer services, from answering the phones to improving IT systems – and to crack down on high-income and corporate tax evaders who cost the American people hundreds of billions of dollars each year.”

FacebookTwitter
Congress recently passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, which includes the largest-ever federal effort to combat climate change and aims to lower rising costs of goods while paying down the nation's debt. The legislation also allocates funding to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
After the Senate passed the bill, people on Twitter claimed that the funding would allow the IRS to increase audits on middle-class Americans by hiring 87,000 new agents.
“Do you make $75,000 or less? Democrats' new army of 87,000 IRS agents will be coming for you — with 710,000 new audits for Americans who earn less than $75k,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) wrote in a tweet.

THE QUESTION​

THE SOURCES​

THE ANSWER​

This is false.

No, the IRS is not increasing audits on the middle class by hiring 87,000 new agents.

WHAT WE FOUND​

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 includes about $80 billion in funding for the IRS over the next 10 years.
If the bill passes the House and is signed into law, about $45.6 billion of that IRS funding would be put toward expenses for IRS tax enforcement services through September 2031, including hiring more employees. But the bill does not mention that the agency will hire 87,000 new agents specifically tasked with audits – and the U.S. Department of the Treasury says these claims are false.
The text of the Inflation Reduction Act doesn’t specify a number of new hires for the IRS. The 87,000 number shows up in a May 2021 report from the Treasury Department that estimated more funding allocated by President Joe Biden’s administration would allow the IRS to hire nearly 87,000 full-time employees by 2031.
RELATED: Yes, the Internal Revenue Service did buy nearly $700K in ammunition in early 2022
That report was specific to previous legislation and it’s not clear yet how many people the IRS would hire with the Inflation Reduction Act funding.
Additionally, the IRS is expecting a large number of employees to leave in the next 10 years and will hire new staff to fill those roles. At least 50,000 staff members will leave or retire from the agency in the next five years alone, according to the Treasury Department.
These staff members work in various departments throughout the IRS and aren’t tasked with only enforcement. The IRS plans to determine the final numbers and breakdown of potential new staff for the next decade in the coming months, but the addition of new employees won’t mean increased audits for middle-class Americans, according to the Treasury and IRS.
“New staff will be hired to improve taxpayer services and experienced auditors who can take on corporate and high-end tax evaders, without increasing audit rates relative to historical norms for people earning under $400,000 each year,” a spokesperson for the Treasury Department said.
In a recent letter, IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig also assured Senate members that the IRS would not “increase audit scrutiny on small businesses or middle-income Americans.”
According to the Treasury Department spokesperson, “the resources to modernize the IRS will be used to improve taxpayer services, from answering the phones to improving IT systems – and to crack down on high-income and corporate tax evaders who cost the American people hundreds of billions of dollars each year.”

Sure, just take their word for it.

Damn, you all are insane.

I don't think I have ever posted about Senator Johnson.

Yep, you have so much in common with him...

Should we take these item by item? I'm sure we could find a post of yours referencing each one of these...

"A staunch ally of President Donald Trump, Johnson voted for Trump's Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in 2017, supported Trump's decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), launched investigations into his political opponents and promoted false claims of fraud in relation to Trump's defeat in the 2020 presidential election. He has rejected the scientific consensus on climate change. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Johnson voted for the CARES Act, resisted stay at home orders, used his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee to invite witnesses to push fringe theories about COVID-19, and spread misinformation about COVID-19 vaccinations."

Yep, you have so much in common with him...

Should we take these item by item? I'm sure we could find a post of yours referencing each one of these...

"A staunch ally of President Donald Trump, Johnson voted for Trump's Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in 2017, supported Trump's decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), launched investigations into his political opponents and promoted false claims of fraud in relation to Trump's defeat in the 2020 presidential election. He has rejected the scientific consensus on climate change. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Johnson voted for the CARES Act, resisted stay at home orders, used his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee to invite witnesses to push fringe theories about COVID-19, and spread misinformation about COVID-19 vaccinations."
You had to google who Ron Johnson is? Bro, do you even follow politics?

FacebookTwitter

THE QUESTION​

THE SOURCES​

THE ANSWER​

This is false.

WHAT WE FOUND​

giphy.gif

I said that before but now I’m not so sure. I never imagined the democrats could screw up this badly.

They are Democrats. What did you expect? Sound governance based on common sense and Constitutional principles?

Or perhaps he just acts like one to get RWNJs to vote for him. Like Elise Stefanik has been doing.

But even a real RWNJ would be correct that the IRS has some serious "customer service" issues. And who better to answer your question that one of your own tribe?
so it's okay to just act like one as long as you're not one. does that pertain to me? i act like i'm a decent guy, but, greed has let me know otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
exactly. the IRS is in shambles, it is the most incompetent organization i've ever dealt with. they're STILL working from home. it's next to impossible to speak to an agent unless you have the inside track AND get extremely lucky. the IRS doesn't need 87K new positions, the administration needs to make the current employees to do their damn job or fire their ass. they're still 11 million tax returns behind, which is atrocious given the e-filing platform which does seem to work well. muh friend has clients with fairly simple tax returns that still haven't received their refund from 2021. there's simply no excuse for it . . . just another liberally run trash organization.

Incompetent
Ridiculous
Shitshow
Years ago they tried fvcking with me regarding my first time home buyers tax credit. The system rejected because there was record of my owning a home previously, but their own codes said if you didn't own a home for>/=3 years you qualified.

They kept giving themselves extensions on reviewing the additional paperwork I had to provide which proved I qualified.

Finally, after almost a year, I called my Congressman's office and within 7 days they got my return, direct deposited and with interest. I don't know what channels they go through, but those guys made shit happen.

Years ago they tried fvcking with me regarding my first time home buyers tax credit. The system rejected because there was record of my owning a home previously, but their own codes said if you didn't own a home for>/=3 years you qualified.

They kept giving themselves extensions on reviewing the additional paperwork I had to provide which proved I qualified.

Finally, after almost a year, I called my Congressman's office and within 7 days they got my return, direct deposited and with interest. I don't know what channels they go through, but those guys made shit happen.
it's actually a bit astonishing how fast shit happens with those cacksuckers after calling a congressman. the first time a client told me they would call their congressman 20 years ago, I thought "good luck with that". they called me 2 weeks later and told me they had received their refund. now, that's my goto for client's who have issues.

i can't imagine for the life of me how administration is going to manage 87,000 new positions when they can't effectively manage the 82,000 they have. yes, they're going to more than double the size of the IRS. that's pure bullshit. they're basically doubling the size simply because the incompentent assholes cannot work from home and keep up.

FZ5F0VeUIAA_u7P

Hmmm... There are likely plenty of perspective IRS employees in the areas you suggest...

The IRS can barely hire 2k employees now...

"The agency fell short on its goal to bring on nearly 5,500 new employees to process returns, with just 2,056 employees hired, according to the National Taxpayer Advocate's report."

If you are honest on your taxes, you have nothing to worry about.
Not necessarily true. At least it wasn’t with me. I had a national firm do my taxes, still got called in and had to pay an additional 6k. The agent had a “difference of interpretation “ on a deduction than my tax firm did.

Not necessarily true. At least it wasn’t with me. I had a national firm do my taxes, still got called in and had to pay an additional 6k. The agent had a “difference of interpretation “ on a deduction than my tax firm did.
Is that like saying you did not commit any crimes, you merely failed to comply with the law?

Is that like saying you did not commit any crimes, you merely failed to comply with the law?
As I stated, I don’t do my taxes. I have others do that and I don’t remember telling them to cheat or break the law.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT