ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cam Fancher

Super fan? Why. We won another football game and none of you people are satisfied.

As annoyed with you guys get with me. Double that, and that is how annoying most of you all are!!

go Herd!!
I'm happy we won. But I'm definitely not satisfied. We have regressed as an offense since Huff has taken over. Numbers do not lie. We have 9 td passes this year with 4 or 5 coming against fcs foes. If you are satisfied with that then so be it, but I am not.

If Marshall beat Fairmont State 2-0 on a late safety Perkins would be ecstatic... He has invalidated his own opinion by being ridiculous all season. I don't remember him being this delusional in previous years, maybe Huff gave him a MU vest or signed a ball for him or something, idk.

If your defense shuts out the other team, you literally can not lose.

As for Fancher, I thought the more running/less passing game plan was an improvement. Let the kid do what he does well (run) and don't put him in position to lose the game throwing. Go with the glorified wing-t and take an occasional downfield shot, or rollout and throw an intermediate route to Gammage/Keaton.

Is watching middle school offense fun and exciting? -- No

Could we win 1-2 more game this season with our defense, special teams, and no turnovers? -- Yes

I'm happy we won. But I'm definitely not satisfied. We have regressed as an offense since Huff has taken over. Numbers do not lie. We have 9 td passes this year with 4 or 5 coming against fcs foes. If you are satisfied with that then so be it, but I am not.
Exactly. The super fans can’t separate being happy with a win and being satisfied with where we are as a program

I can separate it.

The problem is, you guys cant.

Its all doom and gloom all the time.

Everything is conditional with you guys, all the time.
So, let me give it a go:
I am glad we won.

S
E
P
A
R
A
T
E

I am completely unsatisfied with where our football program is in year #2 under Huff.

…..how’d I do?

Everything in sports is conditional... Unless our guys are holding a National Championship trophy after the final whistle blows, we are forced to live in the real world, which comes with conditions/second guesses/what ifs/unpopular opinions/etc.

99% of us are happy MU won the game Saturday, because we understand any win is better than a loss... That does not mean anyone has to be happy with how the events of said game unfolded, or anyone has to be happy with where we stand at this point in the year.

Blind elation/superfandom regardless of the how the game or season unfolds, is equal to blind hatred regardless of how the game or season unfolds. Being at either end of the spectrum makes you look foolish.

You. Say it’s doom and gloom when the majority of us see it as reality of where our program is.

Ok, and where is the program

5 - 4 with a big win, and losses against teams that are 8 - 1, 7 - 2, 5 -4 and 4 -5

Lost those games by 3, 9, 10 and 11.

So, we are managing to do this with a not too great qb situation right now. But that QB has managed to win 2 of the last 3 games, both on the road.

We lost our starting qb before the season, we missed on the replacement.

That is where the program is and nowhere else.

I always used to look at college sports as young students representing their schools in various games. I tried to never be too critical.
Now, with portals and NILs, it is BIG BUSINESS across the board. I’m much more critical than I once was.
Kind of like when I get a $5 Big Mac with too much sauce, I bitch. If the Big Mac were free, I’d let it pass.

I always used to look at college sports as young students representing their schools in various games. I tried to never be too critical.
Now, with portals and NILs, it is BIG BUSINESS across the board. I’m much more critical than I once was.
Kind of like when I get a $5 Big Mac with too much sauce, I bitch. If the Big Mac were free, I’d let it pass.

5 - 4 with a big win, and losses against teams that are 8 - 1, 7 - 2, 5 -4 and 4 -5

So, we are managing to do this with a not too great qb situation right now. But that QB has managed to win 2 of the last 3 games, both on the road.

Let's give Mr. Perkins credit. He just acknowledged that the QB situation isn't great. That's showing at least a tiny step towards reality.

What he hasn't yet admitted is that losing his starting QB (even if Wells isn't exactly Chad or Byron) was in fact Huff and company's responsibility. Not adequately filling the position along with not adequately filling the O-line is in fact Huff and company's responsibility. Not adapting or more radically changing the offense to suit the personel is Huff and company's fault.

I appreciate the “glass is half-full perspective”, but give credit where it has been earned with our defense & Laborn, not the QB play

. Not adapting or more radically changing the offense to suit the personel is Huff and company's fault.
We are running one of the easier offenses to run system wise. How do you change it up, making it easier for them to execute effectively?

We are running one of the easier offenses to run system wise. How do you change it up, making it easier for them to execute effectively?
It's not necessarily simpler. But running a system that emphasizes running downhill with option plays & play action passing, out of formations that are more effective in doing that than the spread that's being 'run' now.

Reactions: mufan08
We have averaged nearly 400 yards per game the last two weeks. We have shown the ability to pass a bit. And run. And the offensive line has improved a great deal the last month.

"5 - 4 with a big win, and losses against teams that are 8 - 1, 7 - 2, 5 -4 and 4 -5"

I'd say 3-4 in games that matter.

Ahhh. Ok. Gotcha. Well. You can say elevated stats in those games don’t matter I guess. But the wins matter. The games matter. That’s why they are played

I appreciated your enthusiasm and optimism.

I'm not really worried about elevated stats.
I don't consider that level of competition something that should be used to judge Marshall's current situation.

Against peers it's 3-4.

I'd gamble 95% of people watching this iteration are not enjoying it.
It's not entertaining and it's not successful.

Echoes of Bernie.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We have averaged nearly 400 yards per game the last two weeks. We have shown the ability to pass a bit. And run. And the offensive line has improved a great deal the last month.
We could average 600 yards, but if you can't score touchdowns, you aren't doing crap.

Fancher played better in App game, but he has a 55% comp rate with 4 TDs / 5 INTs & 27.4 QBR rating (119th FBS ranking).

Fancher played better in App game, but he has a 55% comp rate with 4 TDs / 5 INTs & 27.4 QBR rating (119th FBS ranking).
I would argue at this point in his development, we need to look game by game with him. He had some struggles in the first half against App State, but he also played a much better overall game. We had a bad stretch where we called 9 straight pass plays and had 2 yards. But he was much better in the second half. The TD throw to Gammage was perfection.

My point is, we know he struggled a big portion of the season and that will skew his stats season wide no matter what. But we need him to keep getting better. He has done that.

Our biggest offensive deficiency last night was short yardage. They ate us up in every one of those situations. I think they stuffed us on 4 separate 1-yard to go situations.

We also did a poor job chewing clock at the end. We snapped the ball on a moving clock with a 7-point lead and under 5 minutes left with 18 on the playclock one time, and 28 on the playclock two plays later. That can't happen. We left 40+ extra seconds just by our own poor game management.

But we got a lot better in certain facets of our offense than we have been. It was a positive step.

Our offense deficiencies including QB play is being masked by our great D and Laborn with the last few games. If you watch us play against our best SBC teams, you see them every time (Troy & Coastal). ODU and App State are the bottom of the SBC East.

We, in general, are running a Tecmo Bowl/Atari 2600 football offense. However, I will reserve judgement and see if we can finish 8-4 or at bare minimum 7-5 which is what we have to achieve to go to a bowl.

I will say as a team, we seem to be getting better. Which is a departure from Doc teams which seemed to get worse as the regular season progressed.

Hopefully the improvement continues and we can finish 8-4, which I think anyone would take after watching the Coastal game.

Reactions: RhinoD
I have been hard on Fancher, but this week, at least for one game, he impressed the heck out of me... Not necessarily with his throwing (we still can't or won't throw a pass more than 15 yards downfield) but with his leadership and his toughness.

For the first time this season he looked like a starting QB out there -- directing traffic, getting guys in the right spots, making good decisions when he needed to keep the ball and run. He took some shots and he kept bouncing up... And he showed he can make a throw when he needs to. That TD pass in the corner of the end zone was a dime.

He isn't Peyton Manning, he isn't Chad or Byron, and he's never going to be. But this week he played well, especially given the conditions, and he was a big part of why we won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT