ADVERTISEMENT

Is H.S. and College Football Safe to Play This Fall?

goherd44

"He Hate Me"
Gold Member
Apr 6, 2008
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

I've attached a link to the CDC website that keeps track of deaths in the US this year. When you scroll down you will see the deaths categorized by different things such as by age and cause. I think it's important to recognize just how striking the Covid death numbers are when you look at them through this statistic. That's not to say that any loss of life regardless of the person's age isn't tragic. I just felt that due to the nature of the current subject about students being back in school and should we have high school and college football this fall these statistics deserve to a part of the discussion. For those of you that would prefer not to click on the link the statistics are as follows as of August 08, 2020.
Age Group Covid Deaths
Under 1 yr. 16
1 to 4 yr. 10
5 to 14 yr. 23
15 to 24 yr. 242
25 to 34 yr. 1,133
35 to 44 yr. 2,920
45 to 54 yr. 7,721
55 to 64 yr. 18,579
65 to 74 yr. 31,488
75 to 84 yr. 39,348
85 and up. 47,712

According to the 2010 census our country's population was 326,625,791. The break down in 2010 was as follows.
Age 0 to 14 61,175,933
15 to 24 43,351,778
25 to 54 128,863,172
55 to 64 42,179,856
65 and up 51,055,052

Like I said before this isn't to downplay a very serious virus or minimize the tragedy of even a single death that has occured. I just think it's important for everyone to have all the facts and statistics. You can take from these what you want. I just felt it was important because of the topic of discussion involving people from the ages of 15 to 24 playing football. There have only been 242 deaths in the whole country in this age group as a result of Covid-19. There is little doubt based on the numbers that careful consideration should be taken when considering the fans of all ages in the stands. Just thought that i would add very important data into this debate. The focus in the media and by politicians lately has been entirely on positive tests and almost no attention has been given to the ages or the number of serious hospitalizations or deaths.

It could be said that they don't mention the last two because they have become so few compared to months ago that it would maybe not garner as much attention as just saying large numbers of positive tests each day. Our medicine and medical professionals have come so far even without a vaccine that the you have a better chance of winning the lottery than dying of Covid if your not in the category of already having a serious underlying medical condition. Even people with those now if they receive treatment early enough have a far greater chance of survival than just a few months ago.

Like I said take what you want from all of this. These are statistical facts and documented statements from medical professionals across the country. It may not fit any particular agenda, but I prefer to stick with the facts and medical expert opinions. If they say kids should be back in school, it's ok to let them play football and in person voting is perfectly safe then I tend to believe it's true. For years politicians have been telling us to believe the science when it comes to global warming. So it makes you wonder why now they aren't listening to the science. I will gladly keep my kid home from school til November because I can and I can live without football if it's gonna save lives. The only problem is medical experts are saying it's ok, but our state governor's that have no medical back ground are saying it isn't safe.

I guess we all just have to decide for ourselves who we want to believe. Unfortunately at the end of the day the politicians control sports at the High School level anyways. Looking forward to some Marshall football hopefully anyways! Go Herd!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News